Sunday School

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology

Does your church use CLP material?

Total votes: 0

Reflecting
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Sunday School

Post by Reflecting »

karpos wrote:
Josh wrote:We don't use CLP for Sunday School, but we do all use the same Sunday school booklets. I like this since it means all of us conference-wide can discuss the same topics, even if one is away from home.

I taught SS for 6 months and wrote my own material, which some people found to be very annoying as I prepared 6-7 page handouts for the first few sundays. People thought it was too much material.

I personally think SS breaks the church up and prevents the older generation from influencing the younger generation. Most couples get together with someone in their SS age group. I think SS prevents some people from getting together since they usually only affiliate with their SS group.
I don’t know how this worked in your case, but I used to be involved in a Bible Study. At first we had a relatively small, inexpensive commentary that we would use as a guide through whichever book we were working through. I really enjoyed that.
Then the group leadership changed and the one in charge was a brilliant lady who was much more subject oriented. We would have a general idea where were going, but come and be handed pages of reference material for what would be covered that day. That format didn’t work nearly as well for me. I personally much preferred to be able to all look at everything ahead of time and be able to share together.
Don’t know if that may have been a factor in your experience or not.
0 x
”reflectthelight” in MDland
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

ShantyShaker wrote:We have 3 CLP adult classes each Sunday, men, women's, and mixed. These classes have all age groups above youth, so there's a good mixture.
The children and youth do not use CLP at all, and we usually have one or two adult "elective" classes going with other materials being used for those.
Similar, though with 5 adult classes all using CLP: 2 mens classes of mixed ages, 2 womens classes segregated by age (unequal in size because the 60 year olds won't admit they belong in the "old" class :roll: ), and one of mixed age and gender. We experimented one year with AIG for everyone in place of CLP, but only the mixed class continued with the remainder of that curriculum. Average attendance in the 120s.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

Post by Signtist »

[quote="Hats Off"]We don't have Sunday School. Unfortunately, I have very few good experiences in Conservative Mennonite Sunday schools. The ones I have seen, typically few members aside from the ordained take part and it would generally be the same few. With so little participation, I generally do make a few comments to help keep things going. We do have CLP materials in our homes along with Rod and Staff and Pathway.I must have been very fortunate all my life. I have never been in a boring Sunday School class. Pretty sure Appleman's church has never had a boring class, I know ours is full of discussion. Visit sometime!
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

I may do that. Where do you go?
0 x
Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

Post by Signtist »

Hats Off wrote:I may do that. Where do you go?
Donegal
0 x
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

We've got a mixed Sunday school study of all ages included. It has worked well with the adults and children all being included and being able to share together. We've worked from the Junior Rod and Staff booklets but it has been felt the questions in some of the lessons where it is yes or no answers about whether a child was acting with a sincere heart for the Lord could easily breed teaching children to be judgemental of others. I've tried to steer towards using these questions to help focus on practical examples for each of us to see our own lives honestly. However, it seems time for change - I looked at the CLP booklets we have from a year ago and found the same type of questions.

Does anyone know of any other good Sunday school booklets that ask more open ended questions that steer away from giving examples with answers towards judging if someone was good or bad, while still maintaining practical in application?
0 x