Russell Moore on white nationalist terrorism

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Russell Moore on white nationalist terrorism

Post by Bootstrap »

Robert wrote:Well, you read his words much differently than I do. One the guy is nuts. Two, he has enough to blame both sides.
Some people who are clearly nuts mention Trump when they commit crimes. The kinds of crimes they commit are happening more frequently than they did before Trump. They are committing these crimes against specific groups - the ones Trump mentions. Other groups who are not particularly popular have not seen a similar rise in hate crimes against them.

They aren't mentioning Warren or Clinton or Obama in their manifestos. They aren't mentioning George Bush or Mitt Romney or Ronald Reagan either. Why does Trump's name keep showing up in these manifestos?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Bootstrap wrote:They aren't mentioning Warren or Clinton or Obama in their manifestos. They aren't mentioning George Bush or Mitt Romney or Ronald Reagan either. Why does Trump's name keep showing up in these manifestos?
Because he's the current President?
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:They aren't mentioning Warren or Clinton or Obama in their manifestos. They aren't mentioning George Bush or Mitt Romney or Ronald Reagan either. Why does Trump's name keep showing up in these manifestos?
Why didn't this happen with Obama, Bush, Clinton, Bush, or Reagan when they were the current presidents?
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Bootstrap wrote:
Josh wrote:
Why didn't this happen with Obama, Bush, Clinton, Bush, or Reagan when they were the current presidents?
Because it's 2019 and we live in an environment when mentally unwell people regularly name someone like Trump - or Elizabeth Warren - and then go on a shooting rampage. This didn't used to happen.

Are you going to get busy questioning why Elizabeth Warren's name showed up?
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote:Because it's 2019 and we live in an environment when mentally unwell people regularly name someone like Trump - or Elizabeth Warren - and then go on a shooting rampage. This didn't used to happen.
In fact, it didn't used to happen this often before Trump. If you go back a few posts, I point to the data, there's a significant change that coincides with Trump.

What changed? Why were some people able to accurately predict that it would?
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote:Are you going to get busy questioning why Elizabeth Warren's name showed up?
Did one or more of the terrorists say he agreed with Warren?
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Bootstrap wrote:
Josh wrote:Are you going to get busy questioning why Elizabeth Warren's name showed up?
Did one or more of the terrorists say he agreed with Warren?
Yes.

As I keep saying, this isn't a problem that was created by Trump. Mass shootings have been rising long before Trump was anything more than a TV personality at wrestling shows. Focusing on Trump means taking focus away from what the problem actually is, and also losing any chance of solutions.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote:As I keep saying, this isn't a problem that was created by Trump. Mass shootings have been rising long before Trump was anything more than a TV personality at wrestling shows. Focusing on Trump means taking focus away from what the problem actually is, and also losing any chance of solutions.
You don't think Trump stirs up negative emotions against particular groups of people who are being victimized?

You don't think people's feelings about these groups have changed significantly since Trump?

I really do think something has changed.
Certainly, there is no body of attacks in the recent pre-Trump era like the current period—in which we have multiple mass shootings in a compressed period of time conducted on the express basis of hatred of foreigners, immigrants, or religious minorities. According to the database cited by the Times, far-right extremists perpetrated three deadly attacks in 2015 (in Chapel Hill, North Carolina; in Charleston, South Carolina; and at Umpqua Community College in Oregon). No deadly attacks took place in 2016.

The list of attacks in the years since Trump’s election is quite striking. Before El Paso was the March 2019 shooting at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, which killed 50 people. Then there was the April 2019 shooting at a synagogue in Poway, California, in which one person died; in that case, the letter posted by the shooter blamed Jews for “white genocide.” Before that was the 2018 shooting at the Tree of Life Synagogue in Pittsburgh, before which the shooter posted about Central American immigrants as “invaders” assisted in entering the country by Jews. Eleven people died in that attack.

The FBI is aware of the problem. According to the office of FBI Director Christopher Wray, the bureau has recorded about 90 domestic terrorism arrests in 2019 so far; a majority of those cases motivated by racial hatred “are motivated by some version of what you might call white supremacist violence,” Wray testified before the Senate Judiciary Committee. In the wake of the attack, the FBI released a statement announcing that the bureau “remains concerned that U.S.-based domestic violent extremists could become inspired by these and previous high-profile attacks to engage in similar acts of violence.”
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Bootstrap wrote:You don't think Trump stirs up negative emotions against particular groups of people who are being victimized?

You don't think people's feelings about these groups have changed significantly since Trump?
I do not think man's sinful state is because of Trump.

And I don't think mass shootings are because of Trump. If Trump loses the election next year, or if he'd never been elected at all, I don't think society would have been magically healed and the mental illness, chronic drug use, unemployment, anomie, and so on resulting in mass shootings would just evaporate.
0 x
PeterG
Affiliation: Conserv. Mennonite

Post by PeterG »

I don't see what good could possibly be accomplished by turning this thread into another occasion to argue about President Trump.
0 x
"It is a weird" —Ken