Sawatsky: Four Streams of Anabaptism

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
QuietObserver
Affiliation:

Re: Sawatsky: Four Streams of Anabaptism

Post by QuietObserver »

ohio jones wrote:Yes, I'll leave the academic titles to my neighbor.

In terms of writing, like Marpeck, I'm more of an editor than an author.
Where can I find your Marpeck writings?
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Anyone interested in starting a series of threads on this, perhaps one "stream" at a time? We have already looked at Menno Simons vs. Swiss Brethren several times, and Hutterites to some extent (mostly focused on their understanding of Gelassenheit). Some of these other streams haven't really been discussed here. I'm less familiar with them, I suspect I am not alone there.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Bootstrap wrote:Anyone interested in starting a series of threads on this, perhaps one "stream" at a time? We have already looked at Menno Simons vs. Swiss Brethren several times, and Hutterites to some extent (mostly focused on their understanding of Gelassenheit). Some of these other streams haven't really been discussed here. I'm less familiar with them, I suspect I am not alone there.
I’m certainly interested in reading them, particularly as I “switched lanes” from Swiss Anabaptism to Dutch Anabaptism 2 years ago.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

ohio jones wrote:Yes, I'll leave the academic titles to my neighbor.

In terms of writing, like Marpeck, I'm more of an editor than an author.
Most dissertations are edited research :D
Increasingly this sounds like good material for a book that would cover all the streams.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Neoanabaptist
Affiliation:

Post by Neoanabaptist »

Decades ago I collected material for a planned booklet about the origins of the peace churches, in their communication and conflict with the more "leftist" churches (as churches of violent transformationism). My basic argument was and is that the most stable and durable peacefulness stems from disappointment.

Beginning with Petr Chelcicky who wrote the first theological treatise in favour of an anarchist-pacifist stance, against the Hussites.

In case of the Mennonites, I saw a distinction between three directions.
a) the Swiss Brethren whose general approach was freedom and independency against enforced unity.
b) the Transformationists who, on the whole, repeated the ideas of the Hussites, and crashed.
c) the Mennonites who collected disappointed Transformationists into a Peace church. The Mennonites, as I saw them, repeated the basic ideas of Chelcicky, without knowing it.

The Quakers: beginning as a party of the Calvinist/Puritan Tranformationists, but then separating from Puritan violence, not because they were disappointed by the failure of Puritan Transformationism, but because they were disappointed by its success and the consequences. (That is what makes Quakerism more "modern".)

So, I distinguished between only three streams. I didn't see Marpeck as a distinct figure. Also my knowledge about Menno Simons was shallow, and my knowledge about Marpeck is practically nil. I understand that Sawatsky makes a difference between personal holiness (Simons) and service to the world (Marpeck), but I am not sure if this is a fair distinction. What do you think?
0 x
Neoanabaptist
Affiliation:

Post by Neoanabaptist »

Ohio Jones added three more streams:
Non-nonresistant (Hubmaier)
Communitarian (Hutterites)
Spiritualist (Denck, Bünderlin, Entfelder)

As for Hubmaier, I think he is simply an individual between the two streams of (potentially violent) transformationists and (potentially conservative) peaceniks; his personal stance in-between may be well-grounded and well-reflected, but I don't see him as the founder of a stream of his own.
Hutterites, even if they materialized in Moravia (possibly under influence of Chelcicky's Bohemian Brothers), are in my eyes the most radical variant of the Swiss stream. The Swiss strife for independency implied in itself a tendency to form autonomous communities. Of course the strict rules of Hutterism imply that they form an organization of their own, but nevertheless they can be seen as the best organized kind of a more general direction to withdrawal, independency and autarky.
Spiritualism is an interesting phenomenon - is it a "stream"?
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

Josh wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:Anyone interested in starting a series of threads on this, perhaps one "stream" at a time? We have already looked at Menno Simons vs. Swiss Brethren several times, and Hutterites to some extent (mostly focused on their understanding of Gelassenheit). Some of these other streams haven't really been discussed here. I'm less familiar with them, I suspect I am not alone there.
I’m certainly interested in reading them, particularly as I “switched lanes” from Swiss Anabaptism to Dutch Anabaptism 2 years ago.
COGIC Mennonite was originally from the Swiss lane but was overtaken by the Dutch.
0 x
Hats Off

Post by Hats Off »

Neoanabaptist wrote:Decades ago I collected material for a planned booklet about the origins of the peace churches, in their communication and conflict with the more "leftist" churches (as churches of violent transformationism). My basic argument was and is that the most stable and durable peacefulness stems from disappointment.

Beginning with Petr Chelcicky who wrote the first theological treatise in favour of an anarchist-pacifist stance, against the Hussites.

a) the Swiss Brethren whose general approach was freedom and independency against enforced unity.
b) the Transformationists who, on the whole, repeated the ideas of the Hussites, and crashed.
c) the Mennonites who collected disappointed Transformationists into a Peace church. The Mennonites, as I saw them, repeated the basic ideas of Chelcicky, without knowing it.

The Quakers: beginning as a party of the Calvinist/Puritan Tranformationists, but then separating from Puritan violence, not because they were disappointed by the failure of Puritan Transformationism, but because they were disappointed by its success and the consequences. (That is what makes Quakerism more "modern".)

So, I distinguished between only three streams. I didn't see Marpeck as a distinct figure. Also my knowledge about Menno Simons was shallow, and my knowledge about Marpeck is practically nil. I understand that Sawatsky makes a difference between personal holiness (Simons) and service to the world (Marpeck), but I am not sure if this is a fair distinction. What do you think?
This seems to be a reasonable characterization; Menno was a former priest so more of a scholar, dealing with the written word while Marpeck was a civil engineer, working with his hands, assisting with engineering projects in his municipality. I would suggest this would have given them different perspectives, based on their life experiences.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Neoanabaptist wrote:Decades ago I collected material for a planned booklet about the origins of the peace churches, in their communication and conflict with the more "leftist" churches (as churches of violent transformationism). My basic argument was and is that the most stable and durable peacefulness stems from disappointment.

Neoanabaptist wrote:Ohio Jones added three more streams:

As for Hubmaier, I think he is simply an individual between the two streams of (potentially violent) transformationists and (potentially conservative) peaceniks; his personal stance in-between may be well-grounded and well-reflected, but I don't see him as the founder of a stream of his own.
Hutterites, even if they materialized in Moravia (possibly under influence of Chelcicky's Bohemian Brothers), are in my eyes the most radical variant of the Swiss stream. The Swiss strife for independency implied in itself a tendency to form autonomous communities. Of course the strict rules of Hutterism imply that they form an organization of their own, but nevertheless they can be seen as the best organized kind of a more general direction to withdrawal, independency and autarky.
Fascinating information, Neoanabaptist. This is a really intereesting thread.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Hats Off

Post by Hats Off »

Neoanabaptist wrote:Ohio Jones added three more streams:

I would suggest it could be considered that. It is certainly different than the Amish, Mennonite and Hutterite types who are more practical or earthy as opposed to spiritualist. Spiritualism and Pietism have more in common.
0 x