Your Preferred Bible Version

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology

Bible Versions

Total votes: 0

Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Your Preferred Bible Version

Post by Josh »

I second Boot’s suggestion to periodically switch it up. I particularly enjoy Sunday School when different attendees have read the lesson text from different translations. Then we get a more complete picture when we study it together.
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Bootstrap wrote:Here's my take on these ....
  • New International Version NIV
    Good translation. Very natural English. About as literal as the KJV. If you have an old NIV from when it first came out, get the newest version.
I noticed that the Literalness-Readability chart you posted put the NIV as less literal than the KJV. As you know, the concept of "literalness" is a bit tricky to pin down linguistically, but I'm wondering if the chart was based on the original NIV, or on the latest revision. I would guess that it is based on the latest version, and wonder how the original translation would have been characterized.
Since I switched to the NIV (from the NASB), I have only ever used that original version, but often hear a verse quoted as "from the NIV", and comparing it to my own copy, it is sometimes almost totally different. Perhaps I should get a 'modern' copy, and do some comparisons. But I'd be interested in hearing your reasons for your preference for the later version. Would you consider it 'less literal' than the original printing? Are the reasons for your assessment primarily in the area of readability?
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Aaron
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Aaron »

K, would chose to learn Hebrew, and be able to read with others the 'original' Bible, Torah, Tanakh, in Jerusalem,
un changed in 2000 years.....
(recently I read it was compared with the Torah from somewhere in Africa, where the Jews/Believers had been isolated for all those centuries and even (may have?) thought there may be no others anywhere....

The two Torahs were compared , after 2000 years separation, and were found to be identical (save about 10 tiny punctuation type differences) ....

(This would have been the Bible Joseph and Mary, and the others, would have heard every Shabbat read in the Temple,
and Jesus while He was Growing up, and the Apostles and disciples in the first years also.... )
0 x