Simone Weil

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
AnthonyMartin
Affiliation: LMC

Simone Weil

Post by AnthonyMartin »

I've been reading some Simone Weil. Until this week I had not been familiar with her. I'm very intrigued, especially by her take on the language of rights and how that eliminates the possibility for love. Any guidance out there for me?
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Simone Weil

Post by temporal1 »

.. especially by her take on the language of rights and how that eliminates the possibility for love. ..
new name for me, this ^^ interests me, too.
i did a quick search, i’m interested. what have you read? :)

as i view the world, it seems lots of things are “eliminating the possibility for love,” for lots of people, this makes me sad. “the language of rights” could be a culprit. in different ways, i question its value.

something is wrong. i don’t believe Jesus dedicated any time to “the language of rights.”
but the world certainly does.

some quotes:
To be rooted is perhaps the most important and least recognized need of the human soul.

The love of our neighbor in all its fullness simply means being able to say, 'What are you going through?'

All sins are attempts to fill voids.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be attained only by someone who is detached.

The future is made of the same stuff as the present.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
AnthonyMartin

Post by AnthonyMartin »

Right now I'm reading 'Waiting for God'
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

AnthonyMartin wrote:I've been reading some Simone Weil. Until this week I had not been familiar with her. I'm very intrigued, especially by her take on the language of rights and how that eliminates the possibility for love. Any guidance out there for me?
In Holdeman thinking, we are supposed to lay down our rights and accept being wronged, but with a perspective that if a brother or sister does wrong to us, eventually the church helps them see their sin and corrects them. But we yield ourselves so we don’t give into offence, and we try to love a brother or sister who is in the wrong.

The world’s way is asserting one’s rights ultimately up to self defence, which means killing.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

AnthonyMartin wrote:Right now I'm reading 'Waiting for God'
i found a PDF.

Waiting for God / Simone Weil / 242 pages :)
https://antilogicalism.com/wp-content/u ... ng-god.pdf
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
AnthonyMartin

Post by AnthonyMartin »

Interesting quote here from Weil. Her essay "Forms of the Implicit Love of God"
The gospel makes no distinction between the love of our neighbor and justice. In the eyes of the Greeks also a respect for Zeus the suppliant was the first duty of justice. We have invented the distinction between justice and charity. Is easy to understand why. Our notion of justice dispenses him who possesses from the obligation of giving. If he gives all the same, he thinks he has a right to be pleased with himself. He thinks he has done a good work. As for him who receives, it depends on the way he interprets this notion whether he is exempted from all gratitude or whether it obliges him to offer servile thanks.

only the absolute identification of justice and love makes the coexistence possible of compassion and gratitude on the one hand, and on the other, of respect for the dignity of affliction in the afflicted - a respect felt by the suffer himself and the others.

it has to be recognized that no kindness can go further than justice without constituting a fault under a false appearance of kindness. But the just must be thanked for being just, because Justice is so beautiful a thing, in the same way as we thank God because of his great glory. Any other gratitude or servile and even animal.
0 x