"Virtues" Reading List

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

"Virtues" Reading List

Post by Szdfan »

One of the things that I resolved this year was to do more reading and exploration of the concept of "virtue" -- what it is, what they are, what they mean to live out. I'm open to suggestions for titles. I'm in the middle of a couple of books right now, but am thinking about starting off with Plato.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
AnthonyMartin
Affiliation: LMC

Re: "Virtues" Reading List

Post by AnthonyMartin »

Szdfan wrote:One of the things that I resolved this year was to do more reading and exploration of the concept of "virtue" -- what it is, what they are, what they mean to live out. I'm open to suggestions for titles. I'm in the middle of a couple of books right now, but am thinking about starting off with Plato.
James Sire "Habits of the Mind"
JP Moreland "Lost Virtue of Happiness"
Certainly Plato as well
0 x
Franklin
Affiliation: Old Testament

Post by Franklin »

Ironically Plato undermined virtue by basically putting philosophy above virtue, and Jesus saved virtue from Plato. (And I say this as non-Christian.) If you do read Plato, read Aristophanes (especially "Clouds") for the other side. Aristophanes used crude humor that appealed more to Ancient Athenians than to Christians, but what he said was deep. For a good insight into Old Testament values, read "The Philosophy of Hebrew Scripture" by Yoram Hazony.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Franklin wrote:Ironically Plato undermined virtue by basically putting philosophy above virtue, and Jesus saved virtue from Plato. (And I say this as non-Christian.) If you do read Plato, read Aristophanes (especially "Clouds") for the other side. Aristophanes used crude humor that appealed more to Ancient Athenians than to Christians, but what he said was deep. For a good insight into Old Testament values, read "The Philosophy of Hebrew Scripture" by Yoram Hazony.
The preincarnate Christ created/knee virtue before man existed, especially Plato-

How about the Book of Virtues by William Bennett?
0 x
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Valerie wrote:
Franklin wrote:Ironically Plato undermined virtue by basically putting philosophy above virtue, and Jesus saved virtue from Plato. (And I say this as non-Christian.) If you do read Plato, read Aristophanes (especially "Clouds") for the other side. Aristophanes used crude humor that appealed more to Ancient Athenians than to Christians, but what he said was deep. For a good insight into Old Testament values, read "The Philosophy of Hebrew Scripture" by Yoram Hazony.
The preincarnate Christ created/knee virtue before man existed, especially Plato-

knew?
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

The Book of Proverbs does a great job of speaking to wisdom and virtues. So does the apostle Paul in the NT.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

silentreader wrote:
Valerie wrote:

knew?
Yes. Whoops again
0 x
AnthonyMartin
Affiliation: LMC

Post by AnthonyMartin »

Valerie wrote:The preincarnate Christ created/knew virtue before man existed, especially Plato-
Sire ("Habits of the Mind") especially highlights this in virtue and the teachings of Jesus Christ. He convincingly connects the mandate that to truly understand virtue, obedience must accompany understanding, for understanding to actually exist.
0 x