The Trail of Blood by J M Carroll

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
DrWojo
Affiliation: Sylvian Christian Fe

The Trail of Blood by J M Carroll

Post by DrWojo »

I came across an interesting booklet of some sermons preached by an old Baptist minister related to the persecutions during the reformation. In it he tries to tie the Ana-Baptist’s, as he calls them in a direct line of succession to present day Baptists. The end of the booklet even has an address and phone number. I’m wondering whether anyone on MN would like to make a contact and inform these Baptists that there still are a few Anabaptists around? :oops:

Anyway, here’s the link: https://baptistbecause.com/Tracts/TrailBlood.pdf
0 x
"Too often believers have trivialized goodness by concentrating on their various denominational brands of legalism, becoming a 'peculiar people' set at odd angles to the world rather than being an attractive light illuminating it." -Unknown
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Re: The Trail of Blood by J M Carroll

Post by ohio jones »

DrWojo wrote:I’m wondering whether anyone on MN would like to make a contact and inform these Baptists that there still are a few Anabaptists around? :oops:
Go right ahead. But I'd be surprised if anyone there remembers, or is prepared to discuss, something published 88 years ago -- let alone sell a few dozen copies at the advertised price.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

A Baptist "lay-pastor" I knew in Brazil was also aware of this connection. (I got to know him because he helped me get equipment together to hand drill water wells. He designed the needed parts, and put in the order for me at a machine shop.) It is more than an idle or misguided claim. English refugees fled to Holland and while there met with Menno Simons, and some stayed there for some time, perhaps some joining the Dutch baptism-minded. But those who returned to England took with them the belief in baptism upon belief (or at the least there was agreement on this doctrine), so in that sense they really are descended from (or related to) the anabaptist movement.
During the early years of the Mennonite Brethren church in Russia there was also pressure from the "big church" (Mennonite) to force the MBs into identification as Baptists. Mennonites in at least one settlement that was floundering because of the emigration of many of their people (and other causes as well) all either became Baptists, or moved into a different Mennonite colony. One Baptist minister (German) who was welcomed into many Mennonite meeting to speak said that his purpose was to "unsheath the rusty Mennonite sword", because non-resistance was the main area of difference. (This was actually already the case from that first contact in the harbor off the coast of Holland.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

ohio jones wrote:
DrWojo wrote:I’m wondering whether anyone on MN would like to make a contact and inform these Baptists that there still are a few Anabaptists around? :oops:
Go right ahead. But I'd be surprised if anyone there remembers, or is prepared to discuss, something published 88 years ago -- let alone sell a few dozen copies at the advertised price.
I’ve run into this before. I’ve met Baptists who claim a shared lineage with us.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

I have seen this before, in fact, I got a copy in college and career sunday school, back before I was married, and attended an independent baptist church. It was in the form of a tract. Mostly you will see this in baptists of the landmarkian stream, regular, primitive and similar. These are strained connections, to say the least.

There is similar stuff going around our circles that attempt to show ancient origins of the Anabaptist moment. Kennedy's "The Torch of the Testimony" and E Hammer Brodbent's "The Pilgrim Church" come to mind. These connections are thin to say the least. Anabaptism of the 16th century is of Zurich origin, and the evidence otherwise is just not there.

BTW, if you go to Tremont Temple Baptist church in Boston, you will not that one of the "Pilars" of the faith, names painted on parts of the building that hold it up, is "Dr. Balthasar Hubmaier."
J.M.
0 x
:hug:
DrWojo
Affiliation: Sylvian Christian Fe

Post by DrWojo »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:I have seen this before, in fact, I got a copy in college and career sunday school, back before I was married, and attended an independent baptist church. It was in the form of a tract. Mostly you will see this in baptists of the landmarkian stream, regular, primitive and similar. These are strained connections, to say the least.

There is similar stuff going around our circles that attempt to show ancient origins of the Anabaptist moment. Kennedy's "The Torch of the Testimony" and E Hammer Brodbent's "The Pilgrim Church" come to mind. These connections are thin to say the least. Anabaptism of the 16th century is of Zurich origin, and the evidence otherwise is just not there.

BTW, if you go to Tremont Temple Baptist church in Boston, you will not that one of the "Pilars" of the faith, names painted on parts of the building that hold it up, is "Dr. Balthasar Hubmaier."
J.M.
Being a little rusty on Hubmaier, because it's getting to be around 30 years since I studied Mennonites in Europe, but I remembered something was different on his views of Nonresistance, so I checked on Wikipedia and got the following quote:
On Government and the Sword
As a Schwertler (of-the-sword) Anabaptist, Hubmaier believed government to be an institution ordained by God. According to the view represented in his writings, Christians have a responsibility to support government and pay taxes. While Hubmaier may be considered a moderate pacifist, he clearly stated his beliefs regarding the government's responsibility to defend the righteous, the innocent, and the helpless, in his work, On the Sword. Moreover, he believed that Christians, if ordered to take up the sword for just cause by the ruling government, should indeed do so. This is the primary distinction between Schwertler Anabaptism and the total pacifism of Stäbler (staff/cane-bearing) Anabaptism.
According to the bolded part, sounds like Hubmaier would agree with the sentiment expressed on MN about reporting of molesters.
0 x
"Too often believers have trivialized goodness by concentrating on their various denominational brands of legalism, becoming a 'peculiar people' set at odd angles to the world rather than being an attractive light illuminating it." -Unknown
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

DrWojo wrote:
Judas Maccabeus wrote:I have seen this before, in fact, I got a copy in college and career sunday school, back before I was married, and attended an independent baptist church. It was in the form of a tract. Mostly you will see this in baptists of the landmarkian stream, regular, primitive and similar. These are strained connections, to say the least.

J.M.
Being a little rusty on Hubmaier, because it's getting to be around 30 years since I studied Mennonites in Europe, but I remembered something was different on his views of Nonresistance, so I checked on Wikipedia and got the following quote:
On Government and the Sword
As a Schwertler (of-the-sword) Anabaptist, Hubmaier believed government to be an institution ordained by God. According to the view represented in his writings, Christians have a responsibility to support government and pay taxes. While Hubmaier may be considered a moderate pacifist, he clearly stated his beliefs regarding the government's responsibility to defend the righteous, the innocent, and the helpless, in his work, On the Sword. Moreover, he believed that Christians, if ordered to take up the sword for just cause by the ruling government, should indeed do so. This is the primary distinction between Schwertler Anabaptism and the total pacifism of Stäbler (staff/cane-bearing) Anabaptism.
According to the bolded part, sounds like Hubmaier would agree with the sentiment expressed on MN about reporting of molesters.
He became non-resistant later in life, but nonetheless I would have no problem turning such over to the secular authorities. I believe this was during his time in Nikolsburg.

J.M
0 x
:hug: