Troubled

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Troubled

Post by Bootstrap »

I'm looking at an apparent contradiction between some things Jesus says in the Book of John, using the same Greek word:

troubled (ταράσσω)

Look particularly at John 12:27:
“Now my soul is troubled, and what shall I say? ‘Father, save me from this hour’? No, it was for this very reason I came to this hour.

John 13:21:
After he had said this, Jesus was troubled in spirit and testified, “Very truly I tell you, one of you is going to betray me.”

But then in John 14:1-3:
“Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me. My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.
Jesus was troubled. In John 14:1, he seems to be saying we should not be. I doubt very much that the lesson is it's OK to be troubled in soul or spirit but not in heart. How do you interpret these verses together?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
NedFlanders
Affiliation: CA

Re: Troubled

Post by NedFlanders »

Often “heart” can be more accurately defined as a persons “mind.”
So while the spiritual battle is intense and we too are troubled by Satan and the flesh - I think Christ is saying that through these troubles be steadfast in your mind and don’t doubt God - have hope. Have your mind set on God believing and endure to the end through any struggle.
0 x
Psalms 119:2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

First thought: Jesus was assuring them of certain facts (that is, certainties), but on the other hand acknowledging that the path laid out for him was not an easy one.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Praxis+Theodicy
Affiliation: Seeker

Post by Praxis+Theodicy »

"I'm in a lot of distress and I feel comfortable letting you know about it because you're my closest friends. But don't get yourselves down; don't let yourself get as distressed as I. I'm gonna endure a lot of things worth getting distressed over, but you will be kept safe, that I know. It's my desire that you go forward with hope and not despair. You might not fully understand it now, but on the other side of what's about to happen, there is hope."

I think it makes sense when you read it as applicable to the context and not necessarily a blanket command that we have to take as applicable in every circumstance going forward. That doesn't mean we can't apply it to our circumstances. I think reading this passage is a great comfort to Christians when they are facing their own troubles.
1 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Interesting to read various words to describe understanding.

i understand Jesus to be modeling IRT, IRL, how to remain faithful in the most dire circumstances.
In human form, experiencing full human pain+vulnerabilities, He put God, His Father, first, without fail.
Even in acute mental-physical agony.

He didn’t say, “you do this, i don’t have to.”

He said, “follow me, my way.” He lived His way. He made His way real.
The full human experience. Unwavering faith. “This is the way, walk ye in it.” Isaiah 30:21

It’s breathtaking.
2 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

I suspect the word used in John 16:33 is a synonym.

John 16:33 ESV I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.”

John 16:33 NIV “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

John 16:33
1599 Geneva Bible
33 [a]These things have I spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace: in the world ye shall have affliction, but be of good comfort: I have overcome the world.

thlipsis
thlip'-sis
From G2346; pressure (literally or figuratively): - afflicted, (-tion), anguish, burdened, persecution, tribulation, trouble.
1 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.