Anabaptist Use of Patristic Literature and Creeds

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Anabaptist Use of Patristic Literature and Creeds

Post by Bootstrap »

Fidelio wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:Some of you may be interested in this article.

Anabaptist Use of Patristic Literature and Creeds

If anyone wants to discuss parts of it here, I'd be interested.
Not going to download. It is conditioned on that site getting all my contacts from Google. Since I use Gmail, that is a lot of people. So the PDF is not free.
Actually, you don't have to give them permission to use your contacts. You can just read it online, saving the images if you want. Or set up an account for yourself and download from there.
Neto wrote:The subject is of interest to me, but I had also looked at the link, saw that condition, and looked (unsuccessfully) for another download site. (I will not do it under those conditions, either.)
I wouldn't give them my contacts either. You really don't have to.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Bootstrap wrote: Actually, you don't have to give them permission to use your contacts. You can just read it online, saving the images if you want.
Thanks for the pointer. I just hadn't tried to scroll down far enough that the article appeared.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Neto

Post by Neto »

I think that there is a big difference between citing a document for the purpose of demonstrating a historical fact (such as that some of these writers indicate that infant baptism was, or was not, practiced in the very early church) and the use of a document in order to prove a doctrinal position or truth. The first is treating the document in question as a historical record, while the second is treating the document as a proof of truth, of a doctrinal position. Practice vs. Doctrine. Big difference, in my opinion. For instance, although I haven't yet read any of his writings, but I might cite Nestor Makno's books as support for a historical fact connected with the political & social environment in New Russia (Ukraine) in the early 1900's, but I would not cite him as an evidence or support for Biblical truth.

Pg 488:
The author states that “...we may attain to certainty that beyond all controversy the apostles baptized infants.” But no proof of any such thing has been shown in the previous parts of the book. One must assume that these “early church fathers” were also ‘apostles’, on par with the apostles as mentioned in Scripture. This is a huge jump in logic, for which no argument has even been offered.

But I will not make any claim that Menno and other early anabaptist writers did not in some ways see the writings of the ‘church fathers’ as in some way proving their own position. As the author also points out, most Mennonites do not accept Menno’s teachings on the origin of the physical body of the Christ, and, I might add, nor do most accept his position on excommunication as extending to family relationships (such as husband & wife). But in a very general sense, the early anabaptists unswervingly held to the maxim that ‘The Scripture is our authority for all matters of faith and practice. And I could also mention the well-known fact that every booklet that Menno published had I Cor 3:11 on the front page: NO foundation can be laid other than the one which has already been laid, Jesus the Christ of God. (a free paraphrase.) This, in fact, is the truth that leads me to reject some things that Menno also taught. He likely erred, as have I as well, no doubt.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

ohio jones wrote:
Valerie wrote:Even sti it's wording is a little different than the Apostles Creed
The English translation of Roosen's Christliches Gemütsgespräch, which the Amish may be familiar with, contains the Apostles' Creed but not the Nicene Creed. It leaves out "He descended to the dead" and changes "the holy catholic Church" to "a General Christian Church" along with other more minor variations, depending on which English translation it's being compared to. Is this the one they're using?
Yes that must be the one they use, with one exception- on this book, they have at the end "Resurrection of the flesh" where as the one you had li k to says "Resurrection of the body".
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Neto wrote:I think that there is a big difference between citing a document for the purpose of demonstrating a historical fact (such as that some of these writers indicate that infant baptism was, or was not, practiced in the very early church) and the use of a document in order to prove a doctrinal position or truth. The first is treating the document in question as a historical record, while the second is treating the document as a proof of truth, of a doctrinal position. Practice vs. Doctrine. Big difference, in my opinion. For instance, although I haven't yet read any of his writings, but I might cite Nestor Makno's books as support for a historical fact connected with the political & social environment in New Russia (Ukraine) in the early 1900's, but I would not cite him as an evidence or support for Biblical truth.

Pg 488:
The author states that “...we may attain to certainty that beyond all controversy the apostles baptized infants.” But no proof of any such thing has been shown in the previous parts of the book. One must assume that these “early church fathers” were also ‘apostles’, on par with the apostles as mentioned in Scripture. This is a huge jump in logic, for which no argument has even been offered.

But I will not make any claim that Menno and other early anabaptist writers did not in some ways see the writings of the ‘church fathers’ as in some way proving their own position. As the author also points out, most Mennonites do not accept Menno’s teachings on the origin of the physical body of the Christ, and, I might add, nor do most accept his position on excommunication as extending to family relationships (such as husband & wife). But in a very general sense, the early anabaptists unswervingly held to the maxim that ‘The Scripture is our authority for all matters of faith and practice. And I could also mention the well-known fact that every booklet that Menno published had I Cor 3:11 on the front page: NO foundation can be laid other than the one which has already been laid, Jesus the Christ of God. (a free paraphrase.) This, in fact, is the truth that leads me to reject some things that Menno also taught. He likely erred, as have I as well, no doubt.
Neto, your post brings to mind some points a professor once said (66 years ago): he noted that while there are many good theological and doctrinal books, no one single author gets the entire Biblical message completely correct. Every author has a clear vision on some concepts and blinkers on when it comes to others. If each author lives long enough, there is hope that they get it right in the end but as flawed humans it is unlikely. Only Jesus had it completely and compellingly correct because He was both divine and human.

At least that is what my memory is serving up this evening. :D
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Neto

Post by Neto »

I finished reading through the article this morning, and here are my last comments. (I do agree with what Max wrote here as well - we are all faulted people, and none of us will get everything right. We err in other ways as well, and it is *probably* the area of practice where we should focus most. Doctrine must be correct in order that our actions are properly informed, but we must not stop with doctrine.)

Pg 495
“Menno and Dirk ... posited that God created Jesus’ pre-Fall human nature ex nihilo ....”
This is not an accurate representation of Menno’s position. Instead, he states that The Word – God – became flesh, that in this sense he ‘came down from heaven’, thus the common misrepresentation of “heavenly flesh”. [He also does not say that Jesus’ actual flesh came down from heaven – this is why that terminology is inaccurate. It was The Word who came down, and BECAME (human) flesh.]

Pg 497
Regarding the arguments presented here that Menno “assumed orthodox Trinitarianism” because of his statements about each of the so-called persons of the trinity – I am not convinced that the author is not just reacting to familiar Biblical language that is now commonly associated with Trinitarianism, that is, it is taken as assuming a “fully developed” doctrine of the trinity. I think that this is a confusion of two separate doctrines, the deity of Jesus the Christ, and this doctrine of the trinity, which the author accurately labels as a “later development”.

Footnote 100 (pg 499)
“... Menno Simons ... thought that Christians should not kill. I am arguing that he did not argue that position as a separate issue from other Christian doctrinal issues.”

I fully agree, and I think that this is a key issue with many conservative anabaptists – they seem (to me) to somehow see nonresistance as a sort of stand-alone doctrine, or one that is primary, or central. I personally do not believe that the belief is lessened by recognizing that if doctrines can be separated and categorized or set into a sort of hierarchy of importance, it is a secondary one, one which flows out of (that is, as a natural result of) the nature of the Kingdom of The Christ.

Further, in regard to the question of nonresistance as practiced or not by the early church (that is, beyond the death of the last original apostles), the question of appealing or not to the non-Scriptural writings of that period must be seen from the fact that if the church wandered from the truth, it was a gradual change, not a sudden and total shift (at least until the time of Constantine).

Pg 502 – 503, views expressed regarding rebaptism (Menno & Martyr’s Mirror) in which the Nicaea Creed is mentioned or quoted as supporting this, the fact that it was endorsed in the parts where they regarded it as conforming to Scripture demonstrates the attitude we all ought to have (in my opinion) toward any extra-Biblical document or discourse – we may support or endorse these to the extent that they reflect Biblical truth. For instance, just because we differ with some points of Calvinism, or of Protestantism in general, does not mean that we must condemn it all. We may approve of truth where ever we find it.

Back to non-resistance.
There is a very interesting statement made at the bottom of page 503, where the author writes:
No systematic attempt was made to tell a story of nonviolence or to justify Anabaptist views on war and peace, because it was not the defining position they claimed for themselves apart from other issues. Van Braght [Martyr’s Mirror editor/writer] was well aware of canon laws and could have found many references. He chose instead to tell the history of baptism.
(The author continues on page 504 with other comments which I find of interest, but will not quote. I will just comment, again, that in the citations given, these original anabaptist writers did not use these early writings to prove a doctrine, but rather to prove a common practice. I think that this is a worthwhile distinction.)

This is the type of perspective I too often fail to see in present day writings or discourses on non-resistance. I am not against it, but it has been singled out as an identifying mark, as a central doctrine, of modern anabaptism. I do not believe it should be lifted to that position – it is a secondary ‘doctrine’ that flows out of the Kingdom, and out of expressions of God’s love, and our ‘duty’ to express it as he would have us do.

But in respect to the general question regarding the attitude of the early anabaptist writers toward the patristic literature, I think that the larger question is whether they TYPICALLY made reference to, or appealed to the “authority” of the so-called church fathers, not just on occasion.

I also think that there is another way in which this can be understood. I am not terribly well acquainted with all of the different persons and groups with which Menno and other anabaptist writers were attempting to reason, but it would be my assumption that they all revered the “church fathers”, considering them authorities to be followed, and not questioned. So by making reference to what these men had written, it was as if the anabaptists were saying “These are your own authorities, men you call ‘father’, (which our Lord told us not to do), and yet you take positions contrary to them.”

I am reminded of the time when Jesus, when he was accused of casting out demons by the power of the Satan, said “Well then, what about your own people who are casting out demons? What do you say about them? Do you not realize you are also condemning them?” (a free paraphrase)
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Wow. Excellent post, Neto.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Neto wrote:I finished reading through the article this morning, and here are my last comments.
I really appreciate your careful reading and your comments here, Neto. Thanks!
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
PetrChelcicky
Affiliation: none

Post by PetrChelcicky »

As for the Apostolic Creed:
Most divergencies herewith have imho nothing to do with peculiar churches. For example I have been raised in the Protestant Church (so-called "Prussian Union" of Reformed and Lutherans), and as a child I was told "resurrection of the flesh", but later on this was replaced by "resurrection from the dead" (without any public explanation or debate). Poor flesh, no more chance for resurrection!
That is why i distrust the attitude of "literalism". Basically you give yourself into the hands of theological experts who are masters of the text (and make of it whatever they deem appropriate). As a layman I am much better off with a Quakerist approach (the spirit is more than the letter and you must learn to discern spirits in yourself and others).
0 x
PetrChelcicky
Affiliation: none

Post by PetrChelcicky »

I wonder if we can speak here about "Anabaptist writers" as a whole. Menno himself was a trained Catholic priest, so of course he knew the Church Fathers (perhaps second hand by the Sententiae of Petrus Lombardus and its commentaries). But how much did the others know, aside from the Bible?
0 x