Devotional Study

Messages, Lectures and talks that relate, or connect to Anabapatist theology.
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Devotional Study

Post by Wade »

Open to any comments or discussion:

Devotional Study #32 – Matthew 18:23-24 and Forgiveness

“Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Till seven times? Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.”– Matthew 18:21-22

“So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses.” – Matthew 18:35

The word ‘for’ in forgive has the meaning of complete or cessation. So forgive contains the idea of giving a complete full pardon, without holding onto any part or bitterness, although it maybe only one that is being forgiven; it can easily be two or more that are blessed.

“And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen. For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.” – Matthew 6:12-15

“Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice: And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.” – Ephesians 4:31-32

“But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth. Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds; And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him: Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all. Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering; Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.” – Colossians 3:8-13

“Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.” - Romans 12:19 “Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled;” – Hebrews 12:15

Because vengeance is the Lord’s it is never our position to settle a situation how we may see fit and neither is it our position to pass judgement. When we have any feeling that we could or should is when we allow bitterness to be planted.
While we cannot choose how the other person will respond Christ in our main text shows our part, however when we also balance that with Christ’s intent of forgiveness to us, we see restoration and reconciliation which involves doing more than just “our” part.

“...freely ye have received, freely give.” – Matthew 10:8b

Some questions in growing and sincerely walking with Him:
Do I carry bitterness?
Do we seek opportunities to forgive when it is hard?
Do we have a proper view of offenses/sin in looking at how it effects me or how it effects the offenders soul and his standing with God?

“Finally, be ye all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren, be pitiful, be courteous: Not rendering evil for evil, or railing for railing: but contrariwise blessing; knowing that ye are thereunto called, that ye should inherit a blessing.” – 1 Peter 3:8-9

“And I will cleanse them from all their iniquity, whereby they have sinned against me; and I will pardon all their iniquities, whereby they have sinned, and whereby they have transgressed against me.” – Jeremiah 33:8

Mercy is not forgiveness; God is withholding punishment and is rather extending mercy to the world. It is because of His mercy that we have opportunity to seek forgiveness that He so richly and freely gives. As Christ was being tortured and was dying on the cross He said to forgive them. Them could be taken as those who have sinned and that is us. When we can see even a glimmer of the mercy and forgiveness that we didn’t deserve that Christ has extended to all in Christ we cannot help but to extend that forgiveness to others too. Sometimes it hurts but, “with his stripes we are healed.”

“Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do...” – Luke 23:34a

“The LORD is longsuffering, and of great mercy, forgiving iniquity and transgression, and by no means clearing the guilty, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation.” – Numbers 14:18

“If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.” – 2 Chronicles 7:14
“Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them. And when ye stand praying, forgive, if ye have ought against any: that your Father also which is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses. But if ye do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses.” – Mark 11:24-26

A favorite:
Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed? For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him. He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not. Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth. He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken. And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth. Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand. He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities. Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.” - Isaiah 53

And more:
“So shall ye say unto Joseph, Forgive, I pray thee now, the trespass of thy brethren, and their sin; for they did unto thee evil: and now, we pray thee, forgive the trespass of the servants of the God of thy father. And Joseph wept when they spake unto him. And his brethren also went and fell down before his face; and they said, Behold, we be thy servants. And Joseph said unto them, Fear not: for am I in the place of God? But as for you, ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive.” – Genesis 50:17-20

“Look upon mine affliction and my pain; and forgive all my sins.” – Psalm 25:18
“Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered.” – Psalm 32:1
“Thou hast forgiven the iniquity of thy people, thou hast covered all their sin. Selah.” – Psalm 85:2
“For thou, Lord, art good, and ready to forgive; and plenteous in mercy unto all them that call upon thee.” – Psalm 86:5
“Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases;” Psalm 103:3
“But there is forgiveness with thee, that thou mayest be feared.” Psalm 130:4
“Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.” – Acts 5:31
“Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered.” – Romans 4:7
“Be it known unto you therefore, men and brethren, that through this man is preached unto you the forgiveness of sins:” – Acts 13:38
“So that contrariwise ye ought rather to forgive him, and comfort him, lest perhaps such a one should be swallowed up with overmuch sorrow.” – 2 Corinthians 2:7
“In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;” – Ephesians 1:7
“In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:” – Colossians 1:14
“I write unto you, little children, because your sins are forgiven you for his name's sake.” – 1 John 2:12

“And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the Lord: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.” – Jeremiah 31:34
“But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil. Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful. Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven: Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.” – Luke 6:24-38

Are these getting too long?....
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Re: Devotional Study

Post by KingdomBuilder »

What is the source on these devotionals?
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Wade

Post by Wade »

KingdomBuilder wrote:What is the source on these devotionals?
They are from IBLP and Bill Gothard's Commands of Christ Series...

I've taken the scripture and the character qualities and focused on them and browsed his thoughts. Meditated, prayed, and studied the surrounding scripture. After looking up more scripture than I share some of my thoughts. I assure you if you did this study you would find my thoughts and question quite different from Gothard's most times. However I like how he has related some of the character traits into scripture in this form because I find that it simplifies things for me into an easier format for me to follow and study... And then it can become more practical as I can get lost in some of the complex spiritual language of other writers... :oops:
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Some very interesting avenues in your thinking. Good work, Wade! :clap:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Wade

Post by Wade »

Devotional Study #33 – Matthew 19:5-6 and Loyalty

“And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh? Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.”– Matthew 19:5-6

“If a man vow a vow unto the LORD, or swear an oath to bind his soul with a bond; he shall not break his word, he shall do according to all that proceedeth out of his mouth.” – Numbers 30:2

Some words that could be considered synonymise with loyalty are: allegiance, faithfulness, obedience, devotion; steadfastness, trueheartedness, dependability, reliability, trustworthiness, dedication, commitment.

“Most men will proclaim every one his own goodness: but a faithful man who can find?” – Proverbs 20:6
Humility, love, and trust in God are ingredients we cannot do without if we are to remain faithful.
“Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.” – 1 Thessalonians 5:24
“O love the Lord, all ye his saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful...” – Psalm 31:23a

"And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell... But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.” – Matthew 5:29+37
True faithful loyalty is firm and unchanging, as separation of one that was two is not an option to the faithful.

“Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful.” – 1 Corinthians 4:2

“A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.” – Proverbs 17:17

"Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish. So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself. For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church: For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones. For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh. This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church. Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband.” – Ephesians 5:25-33

The moral purity and loving loyalty that exists in a Christian’s life, marriage, and heart is supposed to be an image of the fidelity and faithfulness of Christ to His bride the church.

“Thy faithfulness is unto all generations...” – Psalm 119:90a

Do we have a single eye?
Do we view and act out our commitments like we view His commitment?
If there is no chance of disloyalty in Christ does that spirit permeate us?

“And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,” – Revelation 1:5

“And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True...” – Revelation 19:11

Jesus Christ who is Faithful and True, is and will be completely loyal to His bride the church. Being one with the Father, He could never be separated from Him and likewise He can never be divorced from His body (those who are all one in Him.) If Christ truly abides in us we will be obediently faithful to Him and to our commitments in this world by His imparted grace in our lives even unto death.

Even a basic marriage vow says it like this: “to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, until death do us part.”

“But the Lord is faithful, who shall stablish you, and keep you from evil.” – 2 Thessalonians 3:3

“His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.” – Matthew 25:21

“He that is faithful in that which is least is faithful also in much: and he that is unjust in the least is unjust also in much.” – Luke 16:10

“Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things. Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.” – 1 Corinthians 13:4-8

“And this have ye done again, covering the altar of the LORD with tears, with weeping, and with crying out, insomuch that he regardeth not the offering any more, or receiveth it with good will at your hand. Yet ye say, Wherefore? Because the LORD hath been witness between thee and the wife of thy youth, against whom thou hast dealt treacherously: yet is she thy companion, and the wife of thy covenant. And did not he make one? Yet had he the residue of the spirit. And wherefore one? That he might seek a godly seed. Therefore take heed to your spirit, and let none deal treacherously against the wife of his youth. For the LORD, the God of Israel, saith that he hateth putting away: for one covereth violence with his garment, saith the LORD of hosts: therefore take heed to your spirit, that ye deal not treacherously. Ye have wearied the LORD with your words. Yet ye say, Wherein have we wearied him? When ye say, Every one that doeth evil is good in the sight of the LORD, and he delighteth in them; or, Where is the God of judgment?” – Malachi 2:13-17

“For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.” – 2 Corinthians 11:2
0 x
Wade

Post by Wade »

Devotional Study #34 – Matthew 20:26-27 and Availability

“But it shall not be so among you: but whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister; And whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant.”– Matthew 20:26-27

“And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit;...”
– Acts 2:18a

In our verse the word servant from the original Greek means “slave.” Considering this in the context of being slave leaves the impression of forfeiting any “personal rights,” and acting selflessly for the benefit those we are serving. But yet in Christ it is a privilege, joy, and esteemed highly to give of oneself and serve. This takes availability in the form of putting others ahead of ourselves.

“Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness? But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you. Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness. I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness. For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from righteousness.” - Romans 6:16-20
“Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin.” – John 8:34
Everyone is a servant, but to whom is the important question.

“Make thy face to shine upon thy servant: save me for thy mercies' sake.”
– Psalm 31:16
“The Lord redeemeth the soul of his servants: and none of them that trust in him shall be desolate.” – Psalm 34:22

“But Jesus called them to him, and saith unto them, Ye know that they which are accounted to rule over the Gentiles exercise lordship over them; and their great ones exercise authority upon them. But so shall it not be among you: but whosoever will be great among you, shall be your minister: And whosoever of you will be the chiefest, shall be servant of all. For even the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.” – Mark 10:42-44
Leaders in the Church have a responsibility in serving that when considered should lead us in bearing ones another burdens and giving double honour freely so the work would not be hindered. Thank God for those who have made themselves available to minister.

“Not for that we have dominion over your faith, but are helpers of your joy: for by faith ye stand.” – 2 Corinthians 1:24
“For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more.” – 1 Corinthians 9:19
“And I will very gladly spend and be spent for you; though the more abundantly I love you, the less I be loved.” – 2 Corinthians 12:15

“In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them. For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake.” – 2 Corinthians 4:4-5

Who am I serving?
How much of “our” time is spent serving?
Are we concerned more about sincerity of seeking souls than opportunity to serve them?

“So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do.” – Luke 17:10

“Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles.”
- Isaiah 42:1
“He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.” – Isaiah 53:11

“Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.”
– Philippians 2:5-11

Christ: “Who is the image of the invisible God,... all things were created by him, and for him: And he is before all things, and by him all things consist. And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning,...” came down from glory to serve mankind... Even to stoop and wash the feet of His disciples... Even to die a cruel death for those who were still in sin... “The form of a servant...” A servant is not above his Master, may we stoop at the awe of His willingness to serve and follow His steps in seeking out and serving God’s with every part of our, bodies, souls, spirits, and lives.

“As free, and not using your liberty for a cloke of maliciousness, but as the servants of God. Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the king. Servants, be subject to your masters with all fear; not only to the good and gentle, but also to the froward. For this is thankworthy, if a man for conscience toward God endure grief, suffering wrongfully. For what glory is it, if, when ye be buffeted for your faults, ye shall take it patiently? but if, when ye do well, and suffer for it, ye take it patiently, this is acceptable with God. For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps: Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth: Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously: Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.” – 1 Peter 2:16-24

“Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you. Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you. These things I command you, that ye love one another. If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you. If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you. Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also.” – John 15:15-20
The idea of being a slave can seem strange but yet for the Christian we are sons of the Farther through adoption.
“And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father. Wherefore thou art no more a servant, but a son; and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ.” – Galatians 4:6-7
Having the inheritance from the Father should plant a hope and gratitude in hearts that makes us that much more cheerful in serving, following the path and steps of our Master and Lord.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Outstanding, Wade!
:up: :clap:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Wade

Post by Wade »

Devotional Study #35 – Matthew 21:13 and Persuasiveness

“For mine house shall be called an house of prayer for all people.” – Isaiah 56:7 “And said unto them, It is written, My house shall be called the house of prayer; but ye have made it a den of theives.”– Matthew 21:13

“For the zeal of thine house hath eaten me up; and the reproaches of them that reproached thee are fallen upon me.” Psalm 69:9

Too much zeal in persuading others to come to Christ while lacking a genuine holiness of life and peace within is the biggest contributing reason why they don’t “buy” into what we are trying to “sell.” (At least when I have asked.) Peace and holiness of life can only be present when we are in communion with Him. Salvation is from the Lord and therefore we can offer help in direction but ultimately it is God that knows and works on the heart.

“I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men; For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;” – 1 Timothy 2:1-3

“For the eyes of the Lord are over the righteous, and his ears are open unto their prayers:...” - 1 Peter 3:12a

“Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer;” – Romans 12:12

“As for me, I will call upon God; and the LORD shall save me. Evening, and morning, and at noon, will I pray, and cry aloud: and he shall hear my voice. He hath delivered my soul in peace from the battle that was against me:” – Psalm 55:16-18a

People do not follow Christ through saying a single prayer or being convinced on an emotional level but rather by partaking in a continued life of faith and discipleship. Lasting real persuasion to follow Christ is the Holy Spirit at work and not the “brand” of Christianity you carry.

“Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;” – Ephesians 6:18

“Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.” – Philippians 4:6-7

“Continue in prayer, and watch in the same with thanksgiving;” – Colossians 4:2
Prayer has been called, “a Christian’s vital breath.”
“Pray without ceasing.” - 1 Thessalonians 5:17
“But we will give ourselves continually to prayer, and to the ministry of the word.” - Acts 6:4

When is prayer happening in our temples?
Are our first thoughts of persuasion turned to apologetics or praying for His Spirit to work?
Are we known as God’s temples of praise, or honour, or preaching or rather His house of prayer?

“Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.” – 1 Corinthians 3:16-17

“And he withdrew himself into the wilderness, and prayed.” - Luke 5:16
“He went away again the second time, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done.” - Matthew 26:42
Some of what we see in the scriptures of Christ’s prayer life was departing to pray, getting up early to pray, and praying for His Father’s will to be done. Even praying that God would forgive those who transgressed against Him. The persuasion of a peaceful heart and spirit that seeks good to others while those others are seeking it’s harm and is in submission to God and His will; was the most compelling force that drove this wretched sinner to the Saviour through conviction on the heart rather than the mind. Christ is our Intercessor, the Perfect example.

“Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.” – Hebrews 7:25
“Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.” - Romans 8:26
“Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you.” - Luke 6:28

“Is any among you afflicted? let him pray. Is any merry? let him sing psalms. Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him. Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. Elias was a man subject to like passions as we are, and he prayed earnestly that it might not rain: and it rained not on the earth by the space of three years and six months. And he prayed again, and the heaven gave rain, and the earth brought forth her fruit. Brethren, if any of you do err from the truth, and one convert him; Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.” – James 5:13-20

“And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.” - Matthew 21:22

“And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly. But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking. Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him. After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.” – Matthew 6:5-13
0 x
Wade

Post by Wade »

Please keep in mind these scriptures and traits are from another source so these are just my thoughts and scripture related to the scripture and character trait in the study. So I am not advocating that each scripture verse is even related properly to the character quality and don’t want to skew things out of context from each scripture text but rather focus on seeing who Christ is and how this can be practical in knowing and following Him.

Devotional Study #36 – Mark 11:24 and Patience

“Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.” – Mark 11:24

“Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.” – Hebrews 11:1
And “...without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.” - Hebrews 11:6
So “...let him ask in faith, nothing wavering...” – James 1:6a
“If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you. Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.” – John 15:7-8

Praying in petition to our Creator isn’t about demands but rather should be an humbling experience bringing closeness and rest to us knowing that He hears and cares and He will accomplish His will, in His time, for good.

“And shall not God avenge his own elect, which cry day and night unto him, though he bear long with them? I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?” – Luke 18:7-8

“Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.” – Hebrews 4:16

“For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for? But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it. Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.” – Romans 8:24-27 Thank God there is intercession.

“And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us: And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.” – 1 John 5:14-15

“He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God; And being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform. And therefore it was imputed to him for righteousness.” – Romans 4:20-22 Trusting patient faith in Him is imparted righteousness from the cleansing blood.

“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.” – Galatians 5:22-24

“And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing. Charity suffereth long...” 1 Corinthians 13:3-4a
Without love all works are worthless to us, and we see in the “love chapter” that the first listed trait of love is patience.

“With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love; Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.” – Ephesians 4:2-3

Are we as patient with others as God has been with us?
Do we really know Who we are praying too?
Where is our desire?

“And he did not many mighty works there because of their unbelief.” – Matthew 13:58
God in His humility doesn’t give desires to impress or awe the unbelieving but rather works to lift up the believing.

“Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering; Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.” – Colossians 3:12-13

Christ had such a closeness with His Father here on earth that He could have asked for anything but rather because of that closeness and humility Jesus showed in His life and prayers that His desire was for His Father’s will to be done. How closely do we follow the example of knowing that God is the Father and knows what is absolutely best? Jesus looked to the Giver for His need and our need rather than circumstances pressing on His body. He is longsuffering to us, may we extend that patience on to others through His grace and the guidance of His Spirit.
“Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.” – Luke 6:38

“For this cause we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding; That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God; Strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness; Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light: Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son: In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins: Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:” – Colossians 1:9-15

“Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess. And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner. I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.” – Luke 18:10-14

“The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.” – 2 Peter 3:9
0 x
Wade

Post by Wade »

Devotional Study #37 – Luke 14:13-14 and Hospitality
“Then said he also to him that bade him, When thou makest a dinner or a supper, call not thy friends, nor thy brethren, neither thy kinsmen, nor thy rich neighbours; lest they also bid thee again, and a recompence be made thee.” – Luke 14:12
“But when thou makest a feast, call the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind: And thou shalt be blessed; for they cannot recompense thee: for thou shalt be recompensed at the resurrection of the just.” – Luke 14:13-14
“For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same? And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?” – Matthew 5:46-47

Especially for those unable to readily invite others to a feast keep in mind the synonyms that go with hospitality: friendliness, hospitableness, warm reception, welcome, helpfulness, neighborliness, warmth, kindness, congeniality, geniality, cordiality, courtesy, amenability, generosity, catering.

“...thou shalt let it rest and lie still; that the poor of thy people may eat...” – Exodus 23:11 “...thou shalt leave them for the poor and stranger...” – Leviticus 19:10 “...thou shalt not harden thine heart, nor shut thine hand from thy poor brother:” – Deuteronomy – 15:7 “He raiseth up the poor out of the dust, and lifteth up the beggar from the dunghill...” – 1 Samuel 2:8 “But he saveth the poor from the sword, from their mouth, and from the hand of the mighty. So the poor hath hope...” – Job 5:15-16
“And oppress not the widow, nor the fatherless, the stranger, nor the poor...” – Zechariah 7:10
“The righteous considereth the cause of the poor: but the wicked regardeth not to know it.” - Proverbs 29:7
“He that hath pity upon the poor lendeth unto the LORD; and that which he hath given will he pay him again.” – Proverbs 19:17
“He that hath a bountiful eye shall be blessed; for he giveth of his bread to the poor.” - Proverbs 22:9
“She stretcheth out her hand to the poor; yea, she reacheth forth her hands to the needy.” - Proverbs 31:20
“He hath dispersed, he hath given to the poor; his righteousness endureth for ever; his horn shall be exalted with honour.” - Psalm 112:9
“Whoso mocketh the poor reproacheth his Maker: and he that is glad at calamities shall not be unpunished.” - Proverbs 17:5
“Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy. Deliver the poor and needy: rid them out of the hand of the wicked.” - Psalm 82:3-4

We see repeated in the scriptures the heart of God having mercy to the poor, that attitude of compassion must also occur in the world today wherever those who possess His spirit are.

“Use hospitality one to another without grudging.” - 1 Peter 4:9
“For ye had compassion of me in my bonds, and took joyfully the spoiling of your goods, knowing in yourselves that ye have in heaven a better and an enduring substance.” - Hebrews 10:34
“Hearken, my beloved brethren, Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he hath promised to them that love him?” - James 2:5

Hospitality without love and concern for the soul and wellbeing of the poor surely is unprofitable to our soul, but we are also in vain when our motive is for the profit of our own. Since God has chosen poor of this world rich in faith; we could easily be missing blessings by not seeking their company.

“My brethren, have not the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory, with respect of persons.” - James 2:1
“And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.” - 1 Corinthians 13:3

Do we shy at certain categories of people or each one with an equal need of a Saviour?
When was the last time we invited someone into our home that couldn’t return the invitation?
How often do we seek out the poor?

“Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.” - Hebrews 13:2
“For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.” – Matthew 25:35-40

It has been said that, “We can only love God as much as the person that we love the least.” Christ took the time and much energy ministering to the needs and healing the poor, to the point of death for even the most destitute spiritually and vilest of people. Certainly we who claim His name should possess His Spirit and grace to touch the lives of the poor amongst us that they could find true riches. Too often our own lives, possession’s and mammon or the lack there of blind us from having the ability to recognize the poor, and cripples us from loving our neighbours like ourselves...
“For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that ye through his poverty might be rich.” - 2 Corinthians 8:9

“I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.” - John 6:51

“There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day: And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores, And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores. And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried; And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame. But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented. And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence. Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house: For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment. Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them. And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent. And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.”
– Luke 16:19-31
Who do we relate closer to; the man that had no lack or the one just wanting some crumbs?

“And a certain ruler asked him, saying, Good Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life? And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? none is good, save one, that is, God. Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother. And he said, All these have I kept from my youth up. Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me. And when he heard this, he was very sorrowful: for he was very rich.” – Luke 18:18-23

“Sell that ye have, and give alms; provide yourselves bags which wax not old, a treasure in the heavens that faileth not, where no thief approacheth, neither moth corrupteth.” – Luke 12:33

“Learn to do well; seek judgment, relieve the oppressed, judge the fatherless, plead for the widow.” – Isaiah 1:17

“Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.” – Matthew 5:3
0 x