Preach it Bro !

Messages, Lectures and talks that relate, or connect to Anabapatist theology.
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Re: Preach it Bro !

Post by ohio jones »

justme wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:31 pm
Sudsy wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 7:59 pmThis reply ' You are not authorized to read this forum.' doesn't make any sense to me as I can read any forum just by not logging on. I still can't find where my original thread post went but that is OK now that we have it here under the Spoken Word sub forum. I get more easily confused in my old age. :? :)
it's in politics
did you opt out of politics threads?
I appended it to the Trump Bible thread in Politics because we didn't need two threads on the same subject, and I figured we would get complaints like the ones below if we allowed political content outside the Politics forum.
Sudsy wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:34 pm Sounds to me like some of these threads belong more in the 'Politics' forum where some of us can get away from the Trump and Biden critiques.
Sudsy wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:27 pm Me thinks this is a thread for the politics forum. No ?
Sudsy wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:21 pm It would be nice to keep politics isolated to the politics forum where some of us have chosen not to go to.
Sudsy wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:58 pm Strange how politics and other things slip into a 'General Theology' sub forum.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

ohio jones wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 1:54 am
justme wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:31 pm
Sudsy wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 7:59 pmThis reply ' You are not authorized to read this forum.' doesn't make any sense to me as I can read any forum just by not logging on. I still can't find where my original thread post went but that is OK now that we have it here under the Spoken Word sub forum. I get more easily confused in my old age. :? :)
it's in politics
did you opt out of politics threads?
I appended it to the Trump Bible thread in Politics because we didn't need two threads on the same subject, and I figured we would get complaints like the ones below if we allowed political content outside the Politics forum.
Sudsy wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:34 pm Sounds to me like some of these threads belong more in the 'Politics' forum where some of us can get away from the Trump and Biden critiques.
Sudsy wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:27 pm Me thinks this is a thread for the politics forum. No ?
Sudsy wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:21 pm It would be nice to keep politics isolated to the politics forum where some of us have chosen not to go to.
Sudsy wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:58 pm Strange how politics and other things slip into a 'General Theology' sub forum.
Thanks for the reply on what happened. I don't follow the Politics forum and didn't realize it was discussed there. I guess I read this sermon bite as something outside of political discussion telling us to just stay away from it and he used this Trump bible as an example. To me, what I appreciated in this sermon bite was more about his last remarks of our citizenship is in heaven and we are just passing through. I agree we need not get entangled with things of this world. I need to keep reminded of that as there are other fascinations I have in this world that divert my focus and efforts from those things that I believe have eternal value.

I thought I had some kind of glitch in my computer when I saw my thread had disappeared and was not thinking of it being moved somewhere else. My main concern was where did it go and why. I understand now why you did what you did thinking this belonged to the Politics section. I will try to keep this in mind for future posts (that is if my memory doesn't get more worse than it seems to be going).
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

Ernie wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:17 pm
barnhart wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:54 pmand where fleeing civilization and "homesteading" become spiritual callings.
could you please enlarge on this?
The Millennialism and Dispensationalism of today are reactions to the collapse of Post millennialism, at least in the US context. After the Civil war, theology that put the Union Army in the front ranks of building Jesus kingdom by banishing evil (think Battle Hymn of the Republic) lost its luster. Post Millennialism taught Jesus was building his kingdom through the advances of technology, civilization and democracy, but once it became clear Reconstruction was going to be an extended program, the Union gave up.

That is when Premillennialism blossomed as it provided a new, modern template for the role of the church in society. Messy, worldly problems would be left to the world and the church will save only souls with no concern for bodies or the conditions those bodies lived in. This laid the groundwork for the formation of Billy Graham style Evangelicalism where theological difference was de-centered to focus on what "really counts", the spiritual, immaterial gospel of mental consent.

We are all children of our times and subject to influence from the spirit of the age, but I think a more balanced approach would be a Soteriology and Escatology that center the gospel as Jesus actually preached it, neglecting neither the good news to poor in possessions nor to the poor in spirit. The longing to escape the evil world is God given but it must be tempered by Jesus design for his flock to be "in the world" with purpose and plantedness, otherwise it will draw us away from the role Jesus has for his church, not toward it.
1 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

barnhart wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 4:51 pm
Ernie wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:17 pm
barnhart wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:54 pmand where fleeing civilization and "homesteading" become spiritual callings.
could you please enlarge on this?
The Millennialism and Dispensationalism of today are reactions to the collapse of Post millennialism, at least in the US context. After the Civil war, theology that put the Union Army in the front ranks of building Jesus kingdom by banishing evil (think Battle Hymn of the Republic) lost its luster. Post Millennialism taught Jesus was building his kingdom through the advances of technology, civilization and democracy, but once it became clear Reconstruction was going to be an extended program, the Union gave up.

That is when Premillennialism blossomed as it provided a new, modern template for the role of the church in society. Messy, worldly problems would be left to the world and the church will save only souls with no concern for bodies or the conditions those bodies lived in. This laid the groundwork for the formation of Billy Graham style Evangelicalism where theological difference was de-centered to focus on what "really counts", the spiritual, immaterial gospel of mental consent.

We are all children of our times and subject to influence from the spirit of the age, but I think a more balanced approach would be a Soteriology and Escatology that center the gospel as Jesus actually preached it, neglecting neither the good news to poor in possessions nor to the poor in spirit. The longing to escape the evil world is God given but it must be tempered by Jesus design for his flock to be "in the world" with purpose and plantedness, otherwise it will draw us away from the role Jesus has for his church, not toward it.
I dunno.

I've always seen Billy Graham as more of a post WW-2 and Cold War phenomenon and much of his crusades in the 1950s and 1960s were really about contrasting Christian America against Godless communism here on earth.

The decades after the Civil War brought on the rise of the Christian temperance movement, eventually culminating in prohibition. And that was very much about "banishing evil" from society. So much so that after the passage of prohibition there were towns in Iowa that sold off their jails, thinking that they had banished crime and evil from their society. They, of course, turned out to be very mistaken.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr