Preach it Bro !

Messages, Lectures and talks that relate, or connect to Anabapatist theology.
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Preach it Bro !

Post by Sudsy »

I have tried to find out what happened to this thread but am not getting replies so I will try again as although this is not an Anabaptist preacher, I believe his message is what many Anabaptists would say 'amen' to even if it is under their breath. I had received one 'like' before it disappeared.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Preach it Bro !

Post by barnhart »

Sudsy, I avoided this for several reasons. First, I generally don't watch video clips on MN, second I don't want to argue with people who feel motivated to defend President Trump. Arguing usually drives people into more extreme positions.

But since you asked, I did watch it. I don't think this accurately captures the position I was raised with. This is a fundamentalist critique of progressive culture engagement. This is built on the spiritual world/material world dichotomy that descends from Plato and the ancient Greeks not from the scripture.

The world we are taught to flee in the New testament is not the world of atoms and molecules but rather the world of rebellion and sin. We turn to the Kingdom of Jesus not because it is spiritual and therefore not physical, but rather because it is comprehensive and answers the need of the entire cosmos, atoms and souls included. We choose Jesus not to deny or minimize the world but rather to restore it.

I view the worldview of this video as under the influence of a modern form of Gnosticism.
3 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Sudsy wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 7:53 pm I have tried to find out what happened to this thread but am not getting replies so I will try again as although this is not an Anabaptist preacher, I believe his message is what many Anabaptists would say 'amen' to even if it is under their breath. I had received one 'like' before it disappeared.
I just watched it now. I liked it.
Citizenship is heaven, not America. And there is no spiritual responsibility to vote. Amen.
2 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Sudsy wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 7:53 pm I have tried to find out what happened to this thread but am not getting replies so I will try again as although this is not an Anabaptist preacher, I believe his message is what many Anabaptists would say 'amen' to even if it is under their breath. I had received one 'like' before it disappeared.
If you're referring to this post, we already had a thread on the subject so it was moved there.
viewtopic.php?p=231083#p231083
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

barnhart wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 8:43 pm Sudsy, I avoided this for several reasons. First, I generally don't watch video clips on MN, second I don't want to argue with people who feel motivated to defend President Trump. Arguing usually drives people into more extreme positions.

But since you asked, I did watch it. I don't think this accurately captures the position I was raised with. This is a fundamentalist critique of progressive culture engagement. This is built on the spiritual world/material world dichotomy that descends from Plato and the ancient Greeks not from the scripture.

The world we are taught to flee in the New testament is not the world of atoms and molecules but rather the world of rebellion and sin. We turn to the Kingdom of Jesus not because it is spiritual and therefore not physical, but rather because it is comprehensive and answers the need of the entire cosmos, atoms and souls included. We choose Jesus not to deny or minimize the world but rather to restore it.

I view the worldview of this video as under the influence of a modern form of Gnosticism.
OK but I guess my brain can't comprehend your argument. To me, I took what he was saying similar to how RZehr took it.
0 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

ohio jones wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 10:37 pm
If you're referring to this post, we already had a thread on the subject so it was moved there.
viewtopic.php?p=231083#p231083
I would prefer when my threads are moved somewhere else I be notified. This reply ' You are not authorized to read this forum.' doesn't make any sense to me as I can read any forum just by not logging on. I still can't find where my original thread post went but that is OK now that we have it here under the Spoken Word sub forum. I get more easily confused in my old age. :? :)
0 x
justme
Affiliation: hermit

Post by justme »

Sudsy wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 7:59 pmThis reply ' You are not authorized to read this forum.' doesn't make any sense to me as I can read any forum just by not logging on. I still can't find where my original thread post went but that is OK now that we have it here under the Spoken Word sub forum. I get more easily confused in my old age. :? :)
it's in politics
did you opt out of politics threads?
0 x
Anything seems possible if you don't know what you are talking about. fb meme
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

Sudsy wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 7:43 pm
OK but I guess my brain can't comprehend your argument. To me, I took what he was saying similar to how RZehr took it.
It must align well with your worldview, and in this case, it aligns near mine but not exactly. I don't eschew the political system to gain a higher or more spiritual level, I do it because it threatens my allegiance to Jesus kingdom. I don't refrain from voting because it is demonic but rather because dangerous.

My critique of this type of dualist theology is that it likely lead to escapist ideology where the goal Christian life is to fly away to the immaterial world of the soul and overlook entirely the themes of the Bible that dignify work, relationships, creativity and beauty. This is soil where Left Behind eschatology is born and where fleeing civilization and "homesteading" become spiritual callings.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

barnhart wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:54 pmand where fleeing civilization and "homesteading" become spiritual callings.
could you please enlarge on this?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Ernie wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:17 pm
barnhart wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:54 pmand where fleeing civilization and "homesteading" become spiritual callings.
could you please enlarge on this?
Wife:my guess is that he’s referring to the prepper/off grid mentality

I actually like the talk. Doesn’t seem to give that vibe to me.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat