Cross Cultural Integration in the Church 2023

Messages, Lectures and talks that relate, or connect to Anabapatist theology.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Cross Cultural Integration in the Church 2023

Post by Ernie »

Everybody with a healthy attitude is welcome! :-)

November 3-5, 2023 - Penn Valley Christian Retreat

https://churchplantersforum.org/wp-cont ... Church.pdf
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ernie

Re: Cross Cultural Integration in the Church 2023

Post by Ernie »

There is still plenty of room at this seminar.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

As I understand the premise, this is referencing people of different cultures sharing in the same fellowship, yes?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

MaxPC wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:47 pm As I understand the premise, this is referencing people of different cultures sharing in the same fellowship, yes?
yes
0 x
Praxis+Theodicy
Affiliation: Seeker

Post by Praxis+Theodicy »

How was this weekend? Did they record any of the sessions to view online? I love to hear Earnest Eby's thoughts on all things "healthy church practices".
0 x
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

I went into the weekend with low expectations, but was pleasantly surprised to see it way exceed what I even hoped for. Lots of good conversations took place.

The last book of the Bible pictures a scene in which an innumerable multitude from every nation, tribe, and language are gathered together --
worshipping God and the Lamb. Is it possible for Christians from diverse cultures to enjoy something like this… here on earth?
What metamorphosis might individuals and churches need to go through to experience the blessings of cross-cultural, spiritual fellowship?

Church Metamorphosis- by Ernest Eby
https://pennvalleyaudio.s3.amazonaws.co ... st-Eby.mp3

Cross-Cultural Integration in the New Testament - by Emmanuel Warren
https://pennvalleyaudio.s3.amazonaws.co ... Warren.mp3

Menno Integration, the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly - Jeff Swanson
https://pennvalleyaudio.s3.amazonaws.co ... wanson.mp3

An Innumerable Multitude from Every Nation, Tribe, and Language - Earl Peachey
https://pennvalleyaudio.s3.amazonaws.co ... eachey.mp3
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:07 am I went into the weekend with low expectations, but was pleasantly surprised to see it way exceed what I even hoped for. Lots of good conversations took place.

The last book of the Bible pictures a scene in which an innumerable multitude from every nation, tribe, and language are gathered together --
worshipping God and the Lamb. Is it possible for Christians from diverse cultures to enjoy something like this… here on earth?
What metamorphosis might individuals and churches need to go through to experience the blessings of cross-cultural, spiritual fellowship?
Part of what we note with the final end is:

#1, the different nations, tribes, and languages still exist. They haven't been merged into some "melting pot" culture where everyone is an "American" or whatever.

#2, this is pictured as something miraculous that happens at the final end. To make an obvious example, a single congregation can't host very much linguistic diversity. It can host almost none at all. One language is going to end up being dominant, and that's final. At most, you might have a group of churches where everyone basically speaks the same 2 or 3 languages, like most Amish and some Mennonites do.

The end result of trying to have "diversity" is just a bland uniformity where everyone actually speaks the same kind of American English, perhaps a few of the older generation with a bit of an accent, eats the same foods (mostly mass produced) with the occasional "ethnic" dish brought in by someone's grandma, and the culture that emerges from these kind of things is often not reflective of the kingdom of heaven at all. The current push for "diversity" and "cultural integration" is one that comes from Empire, not something really seen in the NT; those who have been seduced by it would do well to return to their Bibles and consider what they are actually pushing for.

The Empire likes to smash different regional cultures and different types of people into a certain sameness so that it can rule over them better and make them more consistent consumers and less likely to feel ethnic solidarity that leads to things like revolts. I am not sure why the church needs to try to function like the Empire.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Ernie wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:07 am The last book of the Bible pictures a scene in which an innumerable multitude from every nation, tribe, and language are gathered together --

We see that every Sunday Mass in the parishes in the cities. Every continent on earth is represented.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Josh wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:20 amThe end result of trying to have "diversity" is just a bland uniformity where everyone actually speaks the same kind of American English, perhaps a few of the older generation with a bit of an accent, eats the same foods (mostly mass produced) with the occasional "ethnic" dish brought in by someone's grandma, and the culture that emerges from these kind of things is often not reflective of the kingdom of heaven at all. The current push for "diversity" and "cultural integration" is one that comes from Empire, not something really seen in the NT; those who have been seduced by it would do well to return to their Bibles and consider what they are actually pushing for.
Not the kind of diversity I am talking advocating for. I'm talking about the kind we see in the NT.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:29 am
Josh wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:20 amThe end result of trying to have "diversity" is just a bland uniformity where everyone actually speaks the same kind of American English, perhaps a few of the older generation with a bit of an accent, eats the same foods (mostly mass produced) with the occasional "ethnic" dish brought in by someone's grandma, and the culture that emerges from these kind of things is often not reflective of the kingdom of heaven at all. The current push for "diversity" and "cultural integration" is one that comes from Empire, not something really seen in the NT; those who have been seduced by it would do well to return to their Bibles and consider what they are actually pushing for.
Not the kind of diversity I am talking advocating for. I'm talking about the kind we see in the NT.
I listened to your talk, but could you tell me what kind of "diversity" you are advocating for?
0 x