Every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account

Messages, Lectures and talks that relate, or connect to Anabapatist theology.
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account

Post by RZehr »

Matthew 12:36-37 says:
36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.
37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

https://youtube.com/shorts/-8ex9XdjJdE?feature=share
4 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account

Post by MaxPC »

RZehr wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:10 am Matthew 12:36-37 says:
36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.
37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

https://youtube.com/shorts/-8ex9XdjJdE?feature=share
AMEN AND AMEN.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Is Jesus using hyperbole here and what are your thoughts on what makes for 'idle words' ?
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

Sudsy wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:37 am Is Jesus using hyperbole here and what are your thoughts on what makes for 'idle words' ?
I’m not talking about hyperbole or idle words, but rather giving account for every word.

I’m fascinated by the fact that every radio program ever broadcast, is still out there on the radio waves, and you could conceivably pick them up.

What about the sound waves of every word we speak? Where do they go?
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

RZehr wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:42 am I’m not talking about hyperbole or idle words, but rather giving account for every word.

I’m fascinated by the fact that every radio program ever broadcast, is still out there on the radio waves, and you could conceivably pick them up.

It’s humbling and encouraging how often science proves scriptures, esp when “what scriptures say” is hard/impossible to grasp.
This a prime example of “He knows” and we do not. Jesus calls for our faith, regardless of certainty. Jesus is the only certainty.

wrt words, these things were written long before contemporary tech, radio/TV.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

RZehr wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:42 am
Sudsy wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:37 am Is Jesus using hyperbole here and what are your thoughts on what makes for 'idle words' ?
I’m not talking about hyperbole or idle words, but rather giving account for every word.

Sorry, I have no thoughts on where our words may technically go over sound waves.

What I do know is that upon repentance God puts our sins in the sea of His forgetfulness never to be brought up again. I believe Jesus is speaking about slanderous words here that the Pharisees were making and verse 31 says every sin will be forgiven except blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. And that is another topic also to what it means to blaspheme the Holy Spirit.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

I’m hoping that someone smart will watch that Carl Sagan video link, and tell me in 5 year old language how the physics of radio and sound waves are same/similar/different in terms of still existing in the future.

According to the video, radio and television broadcasts go on and on. As such those voices being broadcast on these radio waves go on and on.

But does a spoken word, that isn’t broadcast on a radio wave, do the same thing?
1 x
Pelerin
Affiliation:

Post by Pelerin »

RZehr wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:48 pm I’m hoping that someone smart will watch that Carl Sagan video link, and tell me in 5 year old language how the physics of radio and sound waves are same/similar/different in terms of still existing in the future.

According to the video, radio and television broadcasts go on and on. As such those voices being broadcast on these radio waves go on and on.

But does a spoken word, that isn’t broadcast on a radio wave, do the same thing?
No… the words you speak are transmitted by vibrating matter, mainly air and once it reaches the vacuum of space sound can go no further.

But… the vibrations in the air will vibrate the walls a little bit, which will vibrate the ground, all the way through the earth and so on, continuing to have an effect forever until the heat death of the universe, though they’d be almost impossible to reconstruct.

For that matter… the matter your sound waves move will cause (extremely minute) gravity waves to ripple out into the universe. So in a sense, yes, every word you’ve ever spoken is still “out there” somewhere.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

RZehr wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:48 pm I’m hoping that someone smart will watch that Carl Sagan video link, and tell me in 5 year old language how the physics of radio and sound waves are same/similar/different in terms of still existing in the future.

i’m not smart, but i recommend the 34 second video. i’m curious about the date of recording (not enough to pursue).
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

Pelerin wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:35 pm

No… the words you speak are transmitted by vibrating matter, mainly air and once it reaches the vacuum of space sound can go no further.

But… the vibrations in the air will vibrate the walls a little bit, which will vibrate the ground, all the way through the earth and so on, continuing to have an effect forever until the heat death of the universe, though they’d be almost impossible to reconstruct.

For that matter… the matter your sound waves move will cause (extremely minute) gravity waves to ripple out into the universe. So in a sense, yes, every word you’ve ever spoken is still “out there” somewhere.
Thank you. So it is different in this regard than radio waves.
0 x