Former Muslims Message & Plea

Messages, Lectures and talks that relate, or connect to Anabapatist theology.
danfreed
Affiliation: MtValleyMenno/Faith

Re: Former Muslims Message & Plea

Post by danfreed »

Franklin,

I watched about 4 minutes of the 11 minute Dirty Money music you-tube that you linked; but needed to stop it, because it was seemed hateful.
I did not see any connection between it and the testimony message of the man at Valerie's church service, whose life was transformed by the love of Jesus.

But maybe I'm missing something.
0 x
My spiritual perspectives are Jesus-centered, evangelical anabaptist, New Testament Bible based...
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

Joy wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 4:40 pm
Franklin wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 4:32 pm I attended my local mosque for about 2 years, and during that time I helped convert a number of Protestants to Islam. I am not Muslim, so why did I do this? Because Islam is better than modern Protestantism. In my opinion, the difference between modern Protestantism and Satanism is that Satanists don't violate the third commandment. Protestants follow Satan and call him "Christ". That is my view.
??????? What on earth?
It’s just the resident misanthrope being provocative.
1 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Valerie wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:10 pm
Soloist wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:03 pm
Valerie wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 9:53 pm

That is a VERY troubling post by Franklin
It’s perfectly in line with what he believes though.
But to be used to lead others into darkness is indeed troubling. Hope (and we should be praying) to hear his testimony one day soon.
His argument is that they are in darkness to begin with and I’m not sure he is wrong if they so easily jumped ship.
1 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Soloist wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:40 pm
Valerie wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:10 pm
Soloist wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:03 pm

It’s perfectly in line with what he believes though.
But to be used to lead others into darkness is indeed troubling. Hope (and we should be praying) to hear his testimony one day soon.
His argument is that they are in darkness to begin with and I’m not sure he is wrong if they so easily jumped ship.
Someone in whom the Holy Spirit dwells would know better. I'm not sure he is able to discern
0 x
Franklin
Affiliation: Old Testament

Post by Franklin »

danfreed wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:15 pm Franklin,

I watched about 4 minutes of the 11 minute Dirty Money music you-tube that you linked; but needed to stop it, because it was seemed hateful.
I did not see any connection between it and the testimony message of the man at Valerie's church service, whose life was transformed by the love of Jesus.

The point is that if you are like a Protestant and think that only belief matters, then why would you have any problem with this video? The video isn't against Christian beliefs, it is only against Christian behavior. Protestants think only belief matters, and they will sacrifice for belief, but they don't think actions matter. They don't care about modesty or morality or good taste or anything like that.

As I mentioned before, I took the leader of my local mosque to a Nationwide Mennonite church service. After the service, he talked to them at length and they found that they have a lot in common. I think conservative Mennonites are much closer to Muslims than they are to Protestants.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Franklin wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 1:47 am
danfreed wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:15 pm Franklin,

The point is that if you are like a Protestant and think that only belief matters, then why would you have any problem with this video? The video isn't against Christian beliefs, it is only against Christian behavior. Protestants think only belief matters, and they will sacrifice for belief, but they don't think actions matter. They don't care about modesty or morality or good taste or anything like that.

As I mentioned before, I took the leader of my local mosque to a Nationwide Mennonite church service. After the service, he talked to them at length and they found that they have a lot in common. I think conservative Mennonites are much closer to Muslims than they are to Protestants.
We have to be careful about setting ourselves up as God and believe we can know the heart & mind of all "Protestants" or all of any Christian denomination. It may come across that Protestants (really, most Christian denominations do not identify themselves as Protestants, who received that label because they were protesting the Catholic Church during the Reformation, so any denomination that protests the Catholic Church would be considered Protestant by their protesting catholics, however most Christian churches today don't identify with that name Protestant) believe that easy belief is all one has to adhere to Faith in Jesus the Christ- but that is painting with a broad brush. If your basing your opinions on outward dress in the average Church, most Christians will be concerned that you are coming across like the Pharisees focusing on outward more than inward. I do believe that Amish and Mennonites set an example outwardly and often inwardly of what Christians should be but I also believe they're very strong and sincere Christians in most of the Christian denominations that haven't wandered into heresy-
0 x
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Post by Heirbyadoption »

Franklin wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 1:47 amAs I mentioned before, I took the leader of my local mosque to a Nationwide Mennonite church service. After the service, he talked to them at length and they found that they have a lot in common. I think conservative Mennonites are much closer to Muslims than they are to Protestants.
And yet, those things in which they (Muslims and Anabaptists) are closer are utterly peripheral and ultimately inconsequential when compared to the fundamental truths upon which they irreconcilably differ and by which they (and yes, even their practices) are ultimately defined.
1 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Heirbyadoption wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 2:00 pm
Franklin wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 1:47 amAs I mentioned before, I took the leader of my local mosque to a Nationwide Mennonite church service. After the service, he talked to them at length and they found that they have a lot in common. I think conservative Mennonites are much closer to Muslims than they are to Protestants.
And yet, those things in which they (Muslims and Anabaptists) are closer are utterly peripheral and ultimately inconsequential when compared to the fundamental truths upon which they irreconcilably differ and by which they (and yes, even their practices) are ultimately defined.
In that case, then these things are not the fundamental truths of Anabaptism?

- Jesus’ second coming
- The virgin Mary’s birth of Jesus
- That there is only one God and we must turn away from all other idols and false gods
- That God commands us: thou shalt not commit adultery

I find I have more in common with Muslims than, say, an Episcopalian (such as Mr Carlson).
1 x
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Post by Heirbyadoption »

Josh wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 3:05 pm
Heirbyadoption wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 2:00 pm
In that case, then these things are not the fundamental truths of Anabaptism?

- Jesus’ second coming
- The virgin Mary’s birth of Jesus
- That there is only one God and we must turn away from all other idols and false gods
- That God commands us: thou shalt not commit adultery

I find I have more in common with Muslims than, say, an Episcopalian (such as Mr Carlson).
You really can't help it, can you? :) I suppose it's possible those were what Franklin was referring to... Without getting too far off track, I would encourage you to spend a bit more time comparing the Muslim and Anabaptist (or even Christian) understandings of some of the ones you just listed above - they are indeed fundamentally different. Anywho, I shall rephrase:
MANY OF those things in which they (Muslims and Anabaptists) are closer are utterly peripheral and ultimately inconsequential when compared to the fundamental truths upon which they irreconcilably differ and by which they (and yes, even their practices) are ultimately defined.
1 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Heirbyadoption wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:29 am You really can't help it, can you? :) I suppose it's possible those were what Franklin was referring to... Without getting too far off track, I would encourage you to spend a bit more time comparing the Muslim and Anabaptist (or even Christian) understandings of some of the ones you just listed above - they are indeed fundamentally different. Anywho, I shall rephrase:
MANY OF those things in which they (Muslims and Anabaptists) are closer are utterly peripheral and ultimately inconsequential when compared to the fundamental truths upon which they irreconcilably differ and by which they (and yes, even their practices) are ultimately defined.
Well, it depends, Heir. A lot of Anabaptists seem to define themselves by adherence to a list of fundamentals; imagine my surprise on finding out that nearly all Muslims hold to much of that same list of "fundamentals", such as the virgin birth, believing in the one God, Jesus' literal earthly return and Jesus' judging of the quick and the dead, and so on.

Concerning "Christian" understanding? Much of "Christianity" (such as my favourite topic, the Episcopalians) don't even believe, on the whole, in Jesus' divinity anymore, or even that he was a great prophet and teacher (like Muslims do). They believe he was just some kind of mythical historical figure who may or may not have existed.

I have come to the stark realisation that there are those who have been very busy trying to gin up a feeling amongst evangelical Christians that Muslims are their enemy. But they are not. The "enemy" is the one who denies the existence of God, claims that the Bible is not true, and denies Jesus as well. Muslims are not the chief offenders here. We can look quite a bit closer to home to find those who categorically reject the foundations that Christianity and Islam share - something far more sinister and evil. Overall, our enemy is not "Muslims".

Of course, I would be glad to call all people to repent and follow Jesus, whether they are evangelical Christians who think they should carry a gun, Muslims, or Episcopalians. I must admit that I seem to spend most of my time trying to reach the former.
0 x