Foolish Controversies - Spurgeon on Titus 3:9

Messages, Lectures and talks that relate, or connect to Anabapatist theology.
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Re: Foolish Controversies - Spurgeon on Titus 3:9

Post by Valerie »

Josh wrote:American Christianity functions on a consumer model, where people go to a religious service to consume a particular experience. For the most part, most aren't going to be part of submitting one to another in a brotherhood.

Ultimately this isn't going to matter much longer because culturally assimilated Christianity is in steep decline. Conservative and Plain Anabaptists, particularly the more conservative ones, are experiencing record setting growth. The real question is how we will handle it and how we will engage the lost, who for the most part have been failed by the mainstream Western church.
You're probably right- I hear pastor's on Christian radio very concerned, and trying to get their attention. Larger congregations like we've been a part of though have small groups where there offers accountability, within- they don't force you to be a part of these small groups but they become a brotherhood within- we have been part of these and they can be a beautiful thing- caring for one another, praying, accountablility- but they can learn a lot more imo from the Anabaptists.

Record setting growth is a good thing to know that more people are seeking something different- some will come and go, like LJ & others I know of, probably in the past there was only growth by families having more children- as there was not a lot of reaching out to the lost until more recently? I am not sure about this-
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Most "growth" is from children, but some groups (particularly more conservative ones) have a fair number of converts. My own church is currently 8% converts.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Josh wrote:Most "growth" is from children, but some groups (particularly more conservative ones) have a fair number of converts. My own church is currently 8% converts.
What percent is considered average? I just checked our house hold church directory and came up with 8% NMB families, and another 13% would be one spouse MB and one NMB.
But I'm not saying we were instrumental in bring them initially to Christ.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

RZehr wrote:
Josh wrote:Most "growth" is from children, but some groups (particularly more conservative ones) have a fair number of converts. My own church is currently 8% converts.
What percent is considered average? I just checked our house hold church directory and came up with 8% NMB families, and another 13% would be one spouse MB and one NMB.
In some groups (particularly moderate-conservative and fundamental-conservative ones), it can be closer to 0%, particularly in terms of actual members. When I visit an intermediate-conservative church like yours, I am delighted to run into so many people who are not NMB, or whose parents are not NMB.

My 8% figure is based on the number of congregations we have that are not North American in terms of membership or leadership. So the actual figure is probably a bit higher. Some of these people might have already been believers.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

RZehr wrote: What percent is considered average? I just checked our house hold church directory and came up with 8% NMB families, and another 13% would be one spouse MB and one NMB.
RZehr, that's a very healthy set of percentages. I say this while thinking about those mainline denominations that are bleeding losses in membership, especially after they caved in to secular pressures re abortion and homosexuality while neglecting the Scriptures as the prime source of their spiritual life.

Obviously, at least to me, your fellowship seems to have a good environment for fostering Christian Discipleship based in Scripture.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God