"Drunk in the Spirit"

Messages, Lectures and talks that relate, or connect to Anabapatist theology.
Outsider
Affiliation: Church of Christ

"Drunk in the Spirit"

Post by Outsider »

This is what happens when you ignore scripture and rely only on the Spirit. Consider: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=DRA

2 x
1 Peter 4:11
If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God;

Hebrews 1:14
Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Re: "Drunk in the Spirit"

Post by Neto »

The Spirit filled life is Christ Centered.
J. J. Toews
2 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Barely 50 seconds in and I had enough.
2 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

(i don’t believe) it’s the Holy Spirit causing them to CLUTCH ONTO THEIR MICROPHONES “for dear life” no matter how “drunk.”
(looks like theatrical training to me.)

- - - - - - -

Found in YouTube Description / OP video: (i presume written by BenValentine83)
Over the past decade and a half, revival meetings in Pentecostal and Charismatic Churches (notably Bethel Church under Bill Johnson in Redding, The International House of Prayer under Mike Bickle, Toronto Airport Christian Fellowship under John Arnotte, and the defunct Lakeland Revival under Todd Bentley) have had a part of their worship gatherings occurances of Spritual “Manifestations” – that is, physical reactions to spiritual experiences including but not limited to convultions, trance states, “Holy Laughter” or - as the article seeks to address – the appearance of drunkenness or physical intoxication.

But is such an experience a genuine expression of an encounter with the Holy Spirit? If so, what is the biblical basis?

“…They are filled with New Wine” (Acts 2:13)

Many proponents of being “Drunk in the Spirit” point to the outpouring of the Holy Spirit on the day of Pentecost as setting a precedent for such phenomenon; the Holy Spirit is poured out, and the disciples stagger around as though drunk. Surely this must be the same phenomenon as what often occurs in these modern revival meetings, is it not?

Let’s examine the Pentecost account in detail in Acts 2:

5 Now there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men from every nation under heaven. 6 And at this sound the multitude came together, and they were bewildered, because each one was hearing them speak in his own language. 7 And they were amazed and astonished, saying, “Are not all these who are speaking Galileans? 8 And how is it that we hear, each of us in his own native language? 9 Parthians and Medes andElamites and residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, 10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya belonging to Cyrene, and visitors from Rome, 11 both Jews and proselytes, Cretans and Arabians—we hear them telling in our own tongues the mighty works of God.” 12 And all were amazed and perplexed, saying to one another, “What does this mean?” 13 But others mocking said, “They are filled with new wine.”
14 But Peter, standing with the eleven, lifted up his voice and addressed them: “Men of Judea and all who dwell in Jerusalem, let this be known to you, and give ear to my words. 15 For these people are not drunk, as you suppose, since it is only the third hour of the day.
Acts 2:5-15 (Emphasis added)

Three things to note:

1) The Disciples were not drunk (v15) – the first thing Peter says in the sermon that would mark the birth of the Acts church is a word of correction: the disciples are all speaking in [known] tongues. While such would definitely seem unusual, Peter is quick to assure observers that the Disciples are perfectly fine, they haven’t had any liquor for their 3rd hour brunch.

Last time I checked, getting drunk doesn’t necessarily make one multi-lingual or vice versa.

2) This is an outsider’s observation (v7-11) –
The charge of drunkenness comes not from the disciples themselves, but rather from the observing pilgrims who have come to Jerusalem for the Pentecost feast.

3) Opinions are divided (v12-13) – The pilgrims are immediately split when it comes to their opinions as to what it happening. The common factor is that they all know that something wonderful has just occurred. Some of the pilgrims are “amazed and perplexed”. Others mock and jeer – and it is from this latter group that the charge of drunkenness is brought forth, not as a word of commendation, but condescension.

To put forward the day of Pentecost as a biblical example of being “Drunk in the Spirit” is to intentionally twist the scriptures to make it mean something contrary to what the text is really saying.
(i’ve never visited or studied with Pentecostals or Charismatics.)
Last edited by temporal1 on Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:28 am, edited 4 times in total.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

steve-in-kville wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:26 am Barely 50 seconds in and I had enough.
I think this fellow brings out some good, scriptural truth after this display. I was raised in a Pentecostal church and have seen all kinds of these happenings often called 'being drunk in the Spirit'. I believe scripture explains being 'filled with the Spirit' and the manifestations of being filled is stated in Eph 5:18-20.

One thing I had never seen is a 'bad drunk' as you see at times when people are drunk on alcohol and want to fight. The 'being drunk in the Spirit' was always a joyous experience ('holy laughter') but imo, this does not mean that this experience is the Holy Spirit but could be a deceptive spirit as it most often is regarded as uncontrollable.

In the Corinthian church, Paul writes to them about speaking in unknown tongues. What he says is that there is order that is to be maintained and not just 'go with the flow'.

I personally believe in a baptism of the Spirit with evidence of speaking in an unknown tongue but I also think that being filled with the Spirit does not require unknown tongues speaking but what is also called 'walk in the Spirit' where the fruit of the Spirit is the evidence of being filled and also as described in Eph. 5:18-20.

There are some differing views amongst Anabaptists regarding Spirit baptism and/or Spirit filling. Our local MB pastor had been part of what is sometimes called the 'Toronto Blessing' where a considerable amount of unusual happening occur since 1994 but he does not promote any of this in his current MB ministry.
2 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Sudsy wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:18 amThere are some differing views amongst Anabaptists regarding Spirit baptism and/or Spirit filling. Our local MB pastor had been part of what is sometimes called the 'Toronto Blessing' where a considerable amount of unusual happening occur since 1994 but he does not promote any of this in his current MB ministry.
That's very interesting. My parents got involved in that stuff in 1995, both in local meetings in Ohio and then in numerous trips up to Toronto. Looking back, it seems to me it was a passing fad.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Josh wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:43 am
Sudsy wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:18 amThere are some differing views amongst Anabaptists regarding Spirit baptism and/or Spirit filling. Our local MB pastor had been part of what is sometimes called the 'Toronto Blessing' where a considerable amount of unusual happening occur since 1994 but he does not promote any of this in his current MB ministry.
That's very interesting. My parents got involved in that stuff in 1995, both in local meetings in Ohio and then in numerous trips up to Toronto. Looking back, it seems to me it was a passing fad.
To some extent it is still going on in the church in Toronto called 'Catch the Fire', which is now a family of churches around the world. Lots of things going on that can't be found in the scriptures as far as I can find. One of these are physical healings which are talked about often as being a certain percent healed. They are told to keep 'pressing in' to get full healing. Can't find any healings in scripture that were not completely 100% or they were not healed. Anyway, they do attract people who want to see signs and wonders and are open to all kinds of things that appear to be supernatural works of God.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Why do I think this sort of thing and all the other forms of speaking in tongues is fake? Because it is so selective.

If "drunk in the spirit" or speaking in tongues was an actual real thing that is inspired by the Holy Spirit. Then you would think you would at least see it ONCE in some other church.

Why aren't the old Mennonite ladies in in conservative Menno churches suddenly falling into the aisles and wreathing with the Spirit? Or jumping up and speaking in tongues in the middle of the service? Why don't we ever see that in Episcopal Churches or Lutheran Churches? Surely there is at least ONE good Christian in all those other churches who is going to be seized by the Holy Spirit on occasion if it is actually a real thing.

Note: I don't necessarily think all these people are necessarily deliberately faking. What I do think is that mass psychosis can be a real thing.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Of interest to me are the different “flavours” of tongues. For example, Oneness Pentecostals sound different than charismatic people do. I personally speak in tongues with the tongues of charismatics.
1 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Josh wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:34 pm Of interest to me are the different “flavours” of tongues. For example, Oneness Pentecostals sound different than charismatic people do. I personally speak in tongues with the tongues of charismatics.
When i first became a Christian in 1973, Calvary Chapel Costa Mesa CA had an "Afterglow" service after the Saturday night concert. It frightened me first time i went because i heard the Gift of tongues for the first time. I did personally receive a physical healing there. This service was for people believing in the Gifts to give opportunity for Holy Spirit to manifest in the various Scriptural gifts. There were some that had the "gift of knowledge" which was really beneficial to whomever the word was for. I remember knowing "a word" given was for me, & my husband knew a word was for him. When this happens you cannot deny the Holy Spirit is at work.

I didn't watch the video- we left the Charismatic/pentecostal churches as things were going a direction we were not comfortable with. At same time going to Churches that deny the Gifts is strange too (because it seems to be quinching the Spirit.
3 x