"Drunk in the Spirit"

Messages, Lectures and talks that relate, or connect to Anabapatist theology.
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Re: "Drunk in the Spirit"

Post by Sudsy »

ken_sylvania wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:09 pm
Sudsy wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:45 am What is also interesting here that some point out are that 'psalms' - were generally accompanied by an instrument and 'making melody'—Greek, "playing and singing with an instrument." Although some insist musical instruments are not referred to in NT practise the question is, was it just understood NT practise would use musical instruments in worship ? Well, perhaps this is a bit off topic. :)
I don't think most Mennonites would have a big problem with you "playing and singing with an instrument" in your heart, as the text says the "making melody" is to be done.
Another view of what is meant by "making melody in your heart" is to not be just singing and playing instruments because you like the tune or beat but rather as praise to God out of your heart. Seems to me at times it is the beat and the way some musical instruments are used that gets more attention than the words. There were a couple songs in our MB church when the instruments would begin a song and I wondered if we were ever going to get to the words. In my Pentecostal days this would just be part of 'make a joyful noise unto the Lord'.

That text Eph 5:19 has some interesting commentaries. Who is singing the Psalms as they are written ? What are spiritual songs and how are they being sung in churches today ? Why does it say 'speaking to yourselves' and not 'singing with one another' ? Seems to me the early church worship was quite different than probably most all types of worship today.

Might be worth a separate study on it's own.
2 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit