Singing Groups

Messages, Lectures and talks that relate, or connect to Anabapatist theology.
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Re: Singing Groups

Post by appleman2006 »

RZehr wrote:Is there a difference between singing and craftsmanship? Singing is worship, craftsmanship is not? Is singing like prayer? Would we encourage a crowd to gather to watch a gifted group of people pray? And sell Cd's of them praying? Isn't a lot of songs to God?
Or is it a fair comparison because we are to bring glory to God in all that we do?
I would say it this way. All of our activities should essentially bring glory to our maker whether it is our vocation or our hobbies. But I would say it is a bit of a stretch to say that singing must always be worship. Anymore than any other good thing that we do. Singing can be in the form of worship but to believe that is the only form it can ever take may be part of the reason some of us are having trouble seeing this subject in the same light. I can read a good book that really has nothing to do with theology and be enriched by it. For me the same applies to music.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

I agree that singing is not always worship. But if the songs lyrics are about God or to God, then it seems to me it might be considered worship.
I don't see singing or music to God as the exact same as vertical prayer though. There is a vertical element to singing as well as horizontal. And I would consider teaching or preaching primarily horizontal in nature.
0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

RZehr wrote:I agree that singing is not always worship. But if the songs lyrics are about God or to God, then it seems to me it might be considered worship.
I don't see singing or music to God as the exact same as vertical prayer though. There is a vertical element to singing as well as horizontal. And I would consider teaching or preaching primarily horizontal in nature.
Song lyrics addressed to God may very well and often are a form of worship. Song lyrics simply talking about God I would put into a teaching category. But either way I think this may be slightly off topic from the point I am trying to make.

Since you mention prayer maybe I can explain it this way. I am sure most of us would say that studying grammar or English is a good thing, While grammatically structured sentences are not necessary for God to hear our prayers (thankfully) if we are praying out loud in a group it is less likely that our prayers will be distracting and inadvertently bring attention to ourselves if we at least can correctly put together a sentence. And in that way our singing, even our worship singing can be more meaningful and I think better all around when done well. Perhaps not a great comparison and I in no way want to imply that people should not sing if they are not really good at it. What I do find interesting is that in most things we would never criticize a person for trying to better his skills at something that is considered to be worthwhile but somehow when it comes to the arts and music we have a different set of expectations.
0 x