Singing Groups

Messages, Lectures and talks that relate, or connect to Anabapatist theology.
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Singing Groups

Post by Heirbyadoption »

Does anybody have a good reference, or is there actually a site of any sort, where one can find out where most Mennonite singing groups are singing and when during the year? Or is there no such thing outside my wishful imagination?
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Singing Groups

Post by Josh »

The Plain News sort of was going to do this if someone volunteered to collect the info. Ask Ernie if he still wants to do this.
0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

I cannot speak for all singing groups but I can for one. :) Would be more than happy to pass their itinerary on for this year when it is finalized.
0 x
francis
Affiliation:

Post by francis »

Not menno-specific, but there's been a revival in Sacred Harp/shape note singing in the past 60 or so years, and a lot of cities have singing groups. If you look up "sacred harp [city]" and live in a decent-sized city there might be something nearby. A lot of it is primitive baptist-based but the calvinist theology isn't in a majority of the songs. I know a few conservative mennonites that really like that tradition.

Here's a link to a youtube playlist of sacred harp music. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl6UpzX ... B42E6EC612

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions, although I understand this might not be what you're looking for.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

In the Portland (Ore.) area there are some folks pretty serious about singing the Sacred Harp. One of the (SBC) Baptist churches in Portland area pretty much only sings acapella (unless someone feels like playing the piano). That place also practices headcovering, although not as a requirement, a lot of women there just choose to do it. It is not Anabaptist to my knowledge at all.
0 x
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Post by Heirbyadoption »

francis wrote:Not menno-specific, but there's been a revival in Sacred Harp/shape note singing in the past 60 or so years, and a lot of cities have singing groups. If you look up "sacred harp [city]" and live in a decent-sized city there might be something nearby. A lot of it is primitive baptist-based but the calvinist theology isn't in a majority of the songs. I know a few conservative mennonites that really like that tradition.

Here's a link to a youtube playlist of sacred harp music. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl6UpzX ... B42E6EC612

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions, although I understand this might not be what you're looking for.
Thank you. I have been a Harper for years. I still miss my little group out in Berkeley CA - we had the perfect little chapel to meet in, and some extra-strong leaders. Unfortunately, the closest ones around my home in southern PA are 2-3 hours away(which I don't mind, it's just hard to swing with kids, work, church, and a non-Harping wife). My question revolves primarily around accappella singing groups such as the Mennos abound in, though.
0 x
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Heirbyadoption wrote:
francis wrote:Not menno-specific, but there's been a revival in Sacred Harp/shape note singing in the past 60 or so years, and a lot of cities have singing groups. If you look up "sacred harp [city]" and live in a decent-sized city there might be something nearby. A lot of it is primitive baptist-based but the calvinist theology isn't in a majority of the songs. I know a few conservative mennonites that really like that tradition.

Thank you. I have been a Harper for years. I still miss my little group out in Berkeley CA - we had the perfect little chapel to meet in, and some extra-strong leaders. Unfortunately, the closest ones around my home in southern PA are 2-3 hours away(which I don't mind, it's just hard to swing with kids, work, church, and a non-Harping wife). My question revolves primarily around accappella singing groups such as the Mennos abound in, though.
Glad to hear you have a non-harping wife! ;)
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

Oasis Chorale will be having at least one and perhaps two programs in your general area this summer. I will let you know when I have the dates
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Josh wrote:The Plain News sort of was going to do this if someone volunteered to collect the info. Ask Ernie if he still wants to do this.
Since special singing groups are not something that is commonly believed and practiced among plain people, and since many groups tend to blow through more resources than what we are comfortable with, and since some music is only accessible and appreciated by a minority, and since there are other things that we think should be getting equal or higher priority in our communities, we've decided not to make this a feature of Plain News.

I have some principles that I could share that would show what I am comfortable with regarding singing groups, but won't take time for that now.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

Ernie wrote:
Josh wrote:The Plain News sort of was going to do this if someone volunteered to collect the info. Ask Ernie if he still wants to do this.
Since special singing groups are not something that is commonly believed and practiced among plain people, and since many groups tend to blow through more resources than what we are comfortable with, and since some music is only accessible and appreciated by a minority, and since there are other things that we think should be getting equal or higher priority in our communities, we've decided not to make this a feature of Plain News.

I have some principles that I could share that would show what I am comfortable with regarding singing groups, but won't take time for that now.
Personally, I'd like to hear them. I do have mixed feelings about "special music" though I have done quite a bit of it myself...
0 x