Headship Series

Messages, Lectures and talks that relate, or connect to Anabapatist theology.
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Re: Headship Series

Post by Sudsy »

Soloist wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:52 am
Sudsy wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:34 am And here is an opposing view series :) -

https://www.cbeinternational.org/resour ... hip-part-1
This reads like a liberal attack piece and not an actual constructed argument for why headship is wrong based on Scripture. Why? well for starters there isn't a Scriptural argument.
Wrong, the scriptural arguments are in part 5.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

temporal1 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:58 am
Outsider wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:15 pm
The Order of The Headship - Part 1 of 4 - Matthew Milioni
https://www.youtube.com
Thank you for adding this much needed topic in today’s out-of-order world. ✝️
Sin is to blame, not headship order.

When results are negative, questions (to God) should be:
WHAT AM I GETTING WRONG? :-|
WHAT IS YOUR WILL?
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Does MM refer to the word complementarianism, and if yes, does he use it in a favorable context?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

I have some thoughts about this but haven't listened to his entire presentation. At this point I would simply say there are reasons to be suspicious of Patriarchy from a New Testament perspective. Maybe after I hear him out, I will offer an alternative view.
0 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

temporal1 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:39 pm

This reads like a liberal attack piece and not an actual constructed argument for why headship is wrong based on Scripture. Why? well for starters there isn't a Scriptural argument.
It’s discouraging to begin a topic in good faith only to be attacked on the first page. i had no idea what egalitarianism was, not interested in learning more. esp not in this topic.

it suggests the poster did not view/listen to the OP videos.
I read enough of the first video to know this was not in support of egalitarianism but when I get the time I will give a listen to all of these.

So when there is another point of view related to the topic than that of the opening posts, that is an attack ? :roll:

Was the 'attack' on the slave system something that should have been left alone because Jesus only talked about how a believer should live within that system and did not preach that the system was wrong ?

I believe there are teachings in the NT that need to be looked at again and again in the culture we live in. Like foot washing, the holy kiss, musical instruments used in worship and some other NT practises. I know some believe if we follow NT practises as they were in that era and culture when they were written, that this is a 'more correct' way to live the Christian life. Anything short of this is going down some 'slippery slope' or often referred to as becoming 'liberal'.

But others, even within Anabaptist circles, consider more of the timing and cultural settings of these instructions and look for the reasons behind these to see if they are forever literal practises in how we are to live or perhaps they are more hindrances to furthering the Kingdom than they are in building the Kingdom.

So, if one wants to give a certain point of view on a subject in an OP(s), and only get 'Amens', then I would say this is more preaching than exploring scriptural texts. I am puzzled by OPs that provide some sermon material like this and there is no comment made by the OPster as to why this thread is made.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

So when there is another point of view related to the topic than that of the opening posts, that is an attack ? :roll:
i’m interested in Outsider’s pov, as OP and as one who doesn’t post a lot.
speaking for myself, when beginning a new topic, it can be dismaying to receive “opposing views” ON THE FIRST PAGE.
topics often deteriorate as pages move along. often, OPs will make requests regarding feedback, Outsider didn’t, which is also fine.

also, your posting history reflects disdain regarding headship order. (thus, this reads like an attack, certainly not in support.)

for myself, knowing how hurting the world is, fatherless homes, crimes, chaos, i appreciate men who are willing to step up, study, analyze, and strive to live out male leadership roles - when the world, including gov programs+policies are against them.

The results are in. When experiments fail, start over.

i sense the world is pushing matriarchy. not an improvement.

When folks criticize patriarchies out of hand, i internalize this in similar ways when hearing criticism of Christianity out of hand.
Certainly, there are bad examples! But what a loss to not learn more, to strive for Truth, to allow negatives/wrongs to define.
1 x

UNKNOWN
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Sudsy wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:22 pm

Wrong, the scriptural arguments are in part 5.
I disagree that there are Scriptural arguments, but I only saw his part 1 and 2. I'll read the next ones. His links were poorly arranged.
1 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

I disagree that there are Scriptural arguments, but I only saw his part 1 and 2. ..
When our daughter married, i suggested, a litmus test for a good marriage is, “is everyone thriving?”

MM didn’t use these words, but i don’t see any conflict with what he was saying in Part 1.
God doesn’t design to fail or harm.
1 x

UNKNOWN
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Got through the first video. So far, no issues.
0 x
Outsider
Affiliation: Church of Christ

Post by Outsider »

Sudsy wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:22 pm Wrong, the scriptural arguments are in part 5.
Those aren't scriptural arguments. They're semantical arguments.

I think you have a wrong-headed view about what headship entails. You seem to think that it means women can't witness for Christ- they can. The series I posted addresses that. You seem to think that it means the man should rule his wife with no regard to her thoughts or feelings, and this is untrue. He should care for her as he cares for himself.

These observations would probably be more appropriate to the thread we were previously discussing these same matters on, but we never got beyond the headcovering/headship issue.

What about eating things sacrificed to idols? Going to nosh down on food offered to Krishna or Shiva?

What about blood? A lot of people eat blood sausage. Is that to the benefit of the church in being more "diverse" and "inclusive"?

Things strangled? That blood issue again.

And howabout "sexual immorality". After all, if they're not hurting anybody, what's the problem?

Where do you draw the line in regard to ritual cleanliness and ritual observance?
1 x
1 Peter 4:11
If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God;

Hebrews 1:14
Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?