Exhortations, Mini Sermons

Messages, Lectures and talks that relate, or connect to Anabapatist theology.
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Exhortations, Mini Sermons

Post by Sudsy »

This is a thread to express what is on your heart to share with other believers.

One rule - No discussing or questioning on this thread of what other's post. Just express what is on your heart for us to read.

If it brings up an area you would like to discuss, make a separate thread to do it there.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Re: Exhortations, Mini Sermons

Post by Sudsy »

I'll start it off with a sermon I just watched that took me back some 50 years to the kind of sermon my Dad preached out in street ministry on Friday nights here in Leamington, Ontario. This is the kind of Gospel message I was raised to hear proclaimed and as this one was preached on-line tonight, some folks turned their lives over to the Lord. Praise the Lord !!!!!

If you don't care for the Pentecostal style of music, just forward to around the 1 hour mark when Chris begins his message. He refers to a text in the message my Dad would always bring out somewhere in his preaching - Matthew 16:26 -
For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul ? Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul ?
Both the music and sermon took me back some 50 years and this little Salvation Army church out in Conception Bay, Newfoundland, has been such a blessing to me over these past months.

Prior to this sermon there is a spot where a new convert gives his testimony of coming to Christ. This was quite common also 50 years ago in the church I attended and new converts would stand and give their testimony that they had just became a born again believer.

Anyway, for those who have perhaps not heard a salvation message as was commonly preached 50 years ago, this music and preaching was as close as I have found anywhere today to what I grew up in and it isn't in a Pentecostal church with a Pentecostal preacher.

1 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

i enjoyed his analogy with Henry Ford. ^^^ :D
If i got it right, his sermon was under 30min? The rest was music?

This is not a sermon below, it’s a passage that caught my attention a few years ago that i cannot reconcile.
i can’t think of 1 thing that could be done “greater-than” the works, or even words, of Jesus.
How can this be? What am i not understanding?
temporal1 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:37 pm So. i’m convinced we in this 21st Century are remarkably the same as those living on earth that Jesus was sent to save.
But, there are passages in scriptures that reflect Jesus did not expect His to go in ever-lasting circles.

John 14:12
https://biblehub.com/john/14-12.htm
11Believe Me that I am in the Father and the Father is in Me—or at least believe on account of the works themselves.

12Truly, truly, I tell you, whoever believes in Me will also do the works that I am doing.
He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.

13And I will do whatever you ask in My name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son.…
This one really gets me.
“Even greater things” (than Jesus!) Quite a challenge. :? :-|

This is on my heart, if it’s as i read it, in 2000+ years, “we” are not performing very well. :-|
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Some years ago I attended a weekend of meetings that had a variety of "preaching brethren" from the Dunkard church, Bible Brethren, GB's and the like. One message by a good 'ol gray bearded minister was about tithing, and basically the sum of the message was if we hold back in tithing its likely we will loose that money somewhere else!

That stuck with me and has proven true over and over again 8-)
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!