Ron Dunn, Pastor, Author, and Conference Speaker

Messages, Lectures and talks that relate, or connect to Anabapatist theology.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Ron Dunn, Pastor, Author, and Conference Speaker

Post by Ernie »

Ernest Eby, [12/12/2021 8:43 PM]
About 20 years ago I was introduced to a sermon by Pastor Ron Dunn, titled “Chained to the Chariot”. This sermon impacted me significantly at the time and I listened to it several times. It has been quite a few years since I last listened to the sermon so I listened to it again today. The sermon is based on II Corinthians 2:12-17 and teaches the lordship of Christ and the essence of spiritual victory in a very effective way. The sermon takes about an hour to listen to (or less if you read it) but it takes a lifetime to process and live out its meaning. Ron preached this sermon before and after a 10-year struggle with clinical depression. He died at age 64 after a battle with pulmonary fibrosis. Ron wrote a number of books including, “Will God Heal Me: Faith in the Midst of Suffering” and “Faith Crisis: What Faith Is and Why It Doesn't Always Do What You Want.” His final book that was published just before his death is titled, “Surviving Friendly Fire: How to Respond When You're Hurt By Someone You Trust.” In this book, Ron describes how churches are full of people with hurts – hurts that did not come from unbelieving enemies - but tragically, from friends and believers. Other sermons of Ron that I enjoy are, “How God Keeps Us Useable” and “How to Discover God through Your Struggles.” Ron always claimed that one of his main hobbies was thinking, and his time away at a farm in Greenwood, AR allowed him creative, reflective time in which his sermons and books were conceived.

Here are links to the sermon, Chained to the Chariot:

Transcript:
http://rondunn.com/chained-to-the-chariot/

Audio:
https://podcastaddict.com/episode/88339067

Video: (with applause)
https://embassymedia.com/media/chained-chariot

Video: (quality not as good but without applause for those who don’t like interruptions)
2 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Re: Ron Dunn, Pastor, Author, and Conference Speaker

Post by ohio jones »

Ernie wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:49 pm The sermon takes about an hour to listen to (or less if you read it)
The song is even shorter, though it does lack some of the impact.

0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Good sermon Ernie. He happened to mention the night before talking about walking in the Spirit. If you know how I can access that one, I would appreciate hearing his sermon on this also. As I listened to this one I kept thinking, yes, we need to keep 'chained to the chariot' and this results in being 'set free' from the chains of sin. Interesting how the scriptures talk about how real freedom comes through a surrender.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Sudsy wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:02 pm Good sermon Ernie. He happened to mention the night before talking about walking in the Spirit. If you know how I can access that one, I would appreciate hearing his sermon on this also. As I listened to this one I kept thinking, yes, we need to keep 'chained to the chariot' and this results in being 'set free' from the chains of sin. Interesting how the scriptures talk about how real freedom comes through a surrender.
Maybe this? :-)
http://rondunn.com/the-fruit-of-the-spi ... e-filling/

Maybe this one? http://rondunn.com/plugging-into-the-power/
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
AnthonyMartin
Affiliation: LMC

Post by AnthonyMartin »

Phenomenal sermon. I really appreciate you sharing this!
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Ernie wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:47 pm
Sudsy wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:02 pm Good sermon Ernie. He happened to mention the night before talking about walking in the Spirit. If you know how I can access that one, I would appreciate hearing his sermon on this also. As I listened to this one I kept thinking, yes, we need to keep 'chained to the chariot' and this results in being 'set free' from the chains of sin. Interesting how the scriptures talk about how real freedom comes through a surrender.
Maybe this? :-)
http://rondunn.com/the-fruit-of-the-spi ... e-filling/

Maybe this one? http://rondunn.com/plugging-into-the-power/
According to the dating of these sermons it appears to be the latter.

In the OP sermon I thought this statement was interesting about priorities -
My number one priority as pastor of this church is not to the lost of this community. My number one priority is not to the members of this church. My number one priority is to me. To make certain that I am living filled with His Spirit, chained to His chariot. Because when I am filled with His Spirit and living under His lordship, then the lost of this community and the members of my church will be ministered to by the overflow of my life.
I have to agree and believe what I call 'churchianity' and things like 'Christian legalism' are major hindrances to allowing the Holy Spirit to work what only He can do. When a group attempts to create a form of unity based on having church members adhere to a certain appearance of godliness, they seem to stray from believing in the power of the Holy Spirit and often results in a powerless form of Christianity. As scripture says in 2 Timothy 3:5 - 'having a form of godliness but denying it's power'. It goes on to say ' Turn away from such as these!'. Another way I would put it - 'come out from among them'.

There are various forms of godliness today from the strictest living type to the most free type and everything in-between that do not reflect the dynamic power of the Holy Spirit working to bring people to Christ and make them disciples. Who is to blame ? We are. What is missing ? Being continually 'filled with the His Spirit and living under His lordship' as Dunn says.

YMMV.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

✝️
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN