Now's Your Chance to Explain

Messages, Lectures and talks that relate, or connect to Anabapatist theology.
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Now's Your Chance to Explain

Post by Valerie »

But you gotta jump on this opportunity!

Right now on Moody Radio they are discussing whether Christians should vote. Someone wrote in that they had a neighbor who is a Christian who said they don't believe Christian should vote and that they belong to another kingdom.

So they want people to call in and give their feelings opinions on this. would anyone here feel led to share why they don't believe Christians are required to vote that is a question.
Please call 440-546-2255
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Re: Now's Your Chance to Explain

Post by Neto »

I had an email 'conversation' with Chris Fabry about this back in 2016, after a program he aired. In the end, he just said that "we can agree to disagree". I doubt if they are interested in more than just an 'interesting' program. What I mean is, Are they open to change? No.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Neto wrote:I had an email 'conversation' with Chris Fabry about this back in 2016, after a program he aired. In the end, he just said that "we can agree to disagree". I doubt if they are interested in more than just an 'interesting' program. What I mean is, Are they open to change? No.
They were very non committed to any caller, by giving their opinion. It was a great hour, there were a couple people who card in giving their reasons for believing Christians are not obligated to vote so I think in this case, your response would have been well received. There were great responses on both sides, and very valuable discussion. They are continuing it on Facebook (Brian & Janelle in the Morning is their FB group I think)
0 x
Aaron
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Aaron »

Valerie wrote:But you gotta jump on this opportunity!

Right now on Moody Radio they are discussing whether Christians should vote. Someone wrote in that they had a neighbor who is a Christian who said they don't believe Christian should vote and that they belong to another kingdom.

So they want people to call in and give their feelings opinions on this. would anyone here feel led to share why they don't believe Christians are required to vote that is a question.
Please ... ...
What did the Creator Yahweh Almighty Giver of All LIfe DO to those Israelites, His Own Chosen People, when THEY voted ?

WHO does the Creator Yahweh Almighty Giver of All Life SAY is Responsible for putting in place every King and prince and lord (of the gentiles and Jews?) , who raises up, and who pulls down, as He Pleases ? (without regard/ with no partiality , with no respect for man)
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

Aaron wrote:WHO does the Creator Yahweh Almighty Giver of All Life SAY is Responsible for putting in place every King and prince and lord (of the gentiles and Jews?) , who raises up, and who pulls down, as He Pleases ? (without regard/ with no partiality , with no respect for man)
In Judges, we can see how the Isrealites selected Judges for themselves. Judges were leaders. Yes, they were God appointed, but often through the process of community discernment, which was like elections.

Electing a president is not anointing a king. Very different.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Aaron wrote:

What did the Creator Yahweh Almighty Giver of All LIfe DO .......
I might have to read thru Judges again(it has been a while) , et al. But so far, this is what I found in a 'summary' ....

"The Lord Raises Up Judges

Then the Lord raised up judges, who saved them out of the hand of those who plundered them.

Yet they did not listen to their judges, for they whored after other gods and bowed down to them.

They soon turned aside from the way in which their fathers had walked, who had obeyed the commandments of the Lord, and they did not do so.

Whenever the Lord raised up judges for them,

the Lord was with the judge, and he saved them from the hand of their enemies all the days of the judge.

For the Lord was moved to pity by

their groaning because of those who afflicted and oppressed them.

But whenever the judge died,

they turned back and were more corrupt than their fathers,

going after other gods, serving them and bowing down to them.

They did not drop any of their practices or their stubborn ways. "

========================================================================
Then, also, in perfect harmony (with all of Judges, et al) with what I posted: God Chooses, God is Sovereign , as God Says:

Ezekiel 17:24 Then all the trees of the field will know ...
biblehub . com/ezekiel/17-24.htm
All the trees of the forest will know that I the LORD bring down the tall tree and make the low tree grow tall. I dry up the green tree and make the dry tree flourish. "'I the LORD have spoken, and I will do it.'"

What Does the Bible Say About Raising Up Leaders?
www . openbible.info/topics/raising_up_leaders
For not from the east or from the west and not from the wilderness comes lifting up, but it is God who executes judgment, putting down one and lifting up another. For in the hand of the Lord there is a cup with foaming wine, well mixed, and he pours out from it, and all the wicked of the earth shall drain it down to the dregs.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Valerie wrote:But you gotta jump on this opportunity!

Please call 440-546-2255
It would seem out of order to call and participate in a talk radio show when I simultaneously claim that I don't think Christians should listen to the radio at all.

If they would like to discuss one on one with me why I don't vote, including where it's compulsory by law, I would be more than happy to do so.
0 x
Fidelio
Affiliation: ACCA Friend

Post by Fidelio »

Robert wrote:
Aaron wrote:WHO does the Creator Yahweh Almighty Giver of All Life SAY is Responsible for putting in place every King and prince and lord (of the gentiles and Jews?) , who raises up, and who pulls down, as He Pleases ? (without regard/ with no partiality , with no respect for man)
In Judges, we can see how the Isrealites selected Judges for themselves. Judges were leaders. Yes, they were God appointed, but often through the process of community discernment, which was like elections.

Electing a president is not anointing a king. Very different.
Agree. To those who feel it is wrong to vote, where in the Bible does it say it is wrong to vote? I see Paul demanding his rights as a Roman citizen. One of our rights as Americans is to vote. At this time, while Trump may not be a saint, the alternative in all likelihood is going to lead to persecution and loss of religious freedom. The left has already given us a taste of what is to come under their domain. God's will be done, but sometimes the Saints have to be a part of bringing that about--e.g., spreading the Gospel verbally, not just hoping lost people will stumble upon a Bible, open it and be born again. I believe that I have my employment by the grace of God, but surely had I not put in a job application, I would not have gotten the job.
0 x
Convert to Anabaptist truth early 2019; now associated (friend) with the Apostolic Christian Church of America.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Democracy is an illusion that (a) we have a choice politically (we might have a choice for local dogcatcher, but we sure don't for national President), (b) that politics makes a big difference (it doesn't), and (c) that we have to rely on ourselves, not God, to manage the affairs of nations (did anyone think the USSR would collapse by 1990?)

Ultimately, voting and participating in democracy bring division, which is of the devil. When we submit to engaging in politics and engaging in arguments and debates about politics, we submit to demonic forces, which set brother against brother, parent against child, husband against wife, and ultimately divide the whole country into each half hating the other half. The only winner is the devil.

The Christian sees this evil, and hides himself from it.
0 x
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Post by Heirbyadoption »

I appreciated Asher Witmer's post on refraining from voting based on a Biblical standpoint, rather than sipmly because of cultural reasons or denominational restrictions: https://www.asherwitmer.com/why-i-dont- ... never-will

He also shared a short 3-part series on his blog about Christians and government/politics which some might find relevant to the same question:
https://www.asherwitmer.com/3-myths-chr ... nt-part-1/
https://www.asherwitmer.com/3-myths-chr ... nt-part-2/
https://www.asherwitmer.com/3-myths-chr ... nt-part-3/
0 x