Anabaptist/Church History Lectures

Messages, Lectures and talks that relate, or connect to Anabapatist theology.
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Re: Anabaptist/Church History Lectures

Post by Heirbyadoption »

I'm skeptical of the whole "remnant" idea. It seems to encourage an unrealistically black-and-white view of organizations and people, and interpretations of them as if they existed in our context rather than their own. It's been a while since I read these authors, but as I recall Verduin is especially guilty of this, while Broadbent is better in this regard.
I would agree with you to some extent, though Verduin certainly does footnotes and documentation better, whereas Broadbent expects you to take the veracity of his accounts at face value.
0 x
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Post by Heirbyadoption »

Not sure what just happened there. Sorry.
0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

Heirbyadoption wrote:Not sure what just happened there. Sorry.
Fixed it.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Heirbyadoption wrote:Am curious how in depth some of you anabaptist historians (sorry, Max :hug: ) get on the Remnant churches and their effects, such as Broadbent covers? Or do you generally just begin with the Reformation?
No worries, Heir. I was just trying to bring a smile: the idea of myself, a Canonist, trying to teach a course on Anabaptist history makes a funny juxtaposition in my sense of humor. Sort of like a vegetarian trying to teach how to properly cook a roast. :lol:

This is a great thread :up:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

Heirbyadoption wrote:
I'm skeptical of the whole "remnant" idea. It seems to encourage an unrealistically black-and-white view of organizations and people, and interpretations of them as if they existed in our context rather than their own. It's been a while since I read these authors, but as I recall Verduin is especially guilty of this, while Broadbent is better in this regard.
I would agree with you to some extent, though Verduin certainly does footnotes and documentation better, whereas Broadbent expects you to take the veracity of his accounts at face value.
I've never taken Broadbent seriously. I have no way of verifying at least half of what he writes, and I don't think he did either. Unfortunately a lot of Mennonite people feel that he is the greatest thing since the invention of devilled eggs. ;)

Verduin at least documents his sources.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Heirbyadoption wrote:Have any of you on here ever delivered or participated in delivering a church history lecture (preferably somewhat Anabaptist focused)?
Mine have been mostly individual presentations on biography (Marpeck is a favorite, naturally), genealogy, or specific assigned subjects, rather than a comprehensive overview.
lesterb wrote:Unfortunately a lot of Mennonite people feel that he is the greatest thing since the invention of devilled eggs. ;)
That's unfortunate; I would expect them to exorcise better judgment (or maybe they already have).
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
PeterG
Affiliation: Conserv. Mennonite

Post by PeterG »

No argument on the paucity of Broadbent's documentation, or his overall reliability. I just appreciate his nuanced analysis of the groups he discusses.

Verduin, on the other hand, I found too ready to assess favored groups positively even when this flies in the face of available evidence. For example, he tends to completely dismiss charges of heresy against groups like the Cathars on the grounds that they were described exclusively by their enemies. They were probably orthodox because they rejected the Constantinian Roman church, right? Well, sure, Catholic accounts of the Cathars should be taken with a grain of salt, but...

Again, it's been many years since I read Verduin, and I'm going off my memory. And I appreciate him overall.
0 x
"It is a weird" —Ken
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

appleman2006 wrote:
Ernie wrote:I have.
You have? Now you have me curious. When and where?
Calvary Bible School, a VS Unit, a church in central Ohio, my home church, a small group Bible study in my home.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

Ernie wrote:
appleman2006 wrote:
Ernie wrote:I have.
You have? Now you have me curious. When and where?
Calvary Bible School, a VS Unit, a church in central Ohio, my home church, a small group Bible study in my home.
:oops: :oops: sorry. I thought you were responding to Peter's post just prior to yours and I was totally baffled as to when you would of been in on any of my talks. senior moment on my part.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

appleman2006 wrote:
Ernie wrote:
appleman2006 wrote: You have? Now you have me curious. When and where?
:oops: :oops: sorry. I thought you were responding to Peter's post just prior to yours and I was totally baffled as to when you would of been in on any of my talks. senior moment on my part.
I'm not a senior and I thought the same thing appleman. I couldn't figure it out. I thought Ernie may have listened in person and then must have listened to a recording or something!
0 x