Means Your Pastor(s) Use In Sermons

Messages, Lectures and talks that relate, or connect to Anabapatist theology.

What kinds of means/tools does your pastor(s) use in preaching ?

Total votes: 0

Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Means Your Pastor(s) Use In Sermons

Post by Sudsy »

Those used in your local church.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Re: Means Your Pastor(s) Use In Sermons

Post by Valerie »

Since you are familiar with Pastor Beth- he stays behind the pylpit, needs a sound amplifier. Will quote pastors from read long ago. Will quote lyrics from a secular pop song to "use" for a Biblical point ( not meaning he endorsed the song, just using it). Will have us occasionally pray a prayer from the Book of Common Prayers.
0 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Other: please explain
The computer projector is kept in the basement, so no powerpoint or other brand computer slide shows. The overhead transparency projector is used for many songs and the pastor uses it occasionally for sermon illustrations.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Valerie wrote:Since you are familiar with Pastor Beth- he stays behind the pylpit
Autoincorrect is on a roll today. ;)
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Swiss Bro
Affiliation: ETG

Post by Swiss Bro »

Depends on the minister. We have six currently. Some stay behind the "pulpit" (a flimsy transparent affair rather than an imposing structure), some move around. Some us power point, some don't etc. Some might use video clips, poems or other passages from books, some won't. None do it all the time. All do use voice amplification though as some of the older brothers and sisters don't hear well enough otherwise.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Valerie wrote:Since you are familiar with Pastor Beth- he stays behind the pylpit, needs a sound amplifier. Will quote pastors from read long ago. Will quote lyrics from a secular pop song to "use" for a Biblical point ( not meaning he endorsed the song, just using it). Will have us occasionally pray a prayer from the Book of Common Prayers.
Did Pastor Begg have a sex change ? :lol:
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

ohio jones wrote:
Valerie wrote:Since you are familiar with Pastor Beth- he stays behind the pylpit
Autoincorrect is on a roll today. ;)
Ouch!!!
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Sudsy wrote:
Valerie wrote:Since you are familiar with Pastor Beth- he stays behind the pylpit, needs a sound amplifier. Will quote pastors from read long ago. Will quote lyrics from a secular pop song to "use" for a Biblical point ( not meaning he endorsed the song, just using it). Will have us occasionally pray a prayer from the Book of Common Prayers.
Did Pastor Begg have a sex change ? :lol:
My phone's autocorrect drives me nuts. Slow down Valerie
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

As far as staying behind the pulpit vs. wandering the stage, I found you can't keep everyone happy. A few years ago, a common "concern" among the older generation was that the preachers wandered too much. Ironically, the younger generations felt more engaged when he did wander a bit. Staying behind the pulpit was too "stiff" I guess.

Wireless mics are such a blessing, right? :D
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

I would be totally against the idea of setting up strict perimeters as to how a minister should present his sermons.

Different ministers have different speaking styles. Our senior pastor does not use power point but he is very good at using illustrations, object lessons and stories in his message. He will often interject a song or two into his sermons. One of our retired pastors would use a lot of poetry and had his sermons almost entirely written out. He even wrote out some of his prayers at times. He is particularly remembered for his prayers. On the other hand some of our younger ministers are very good at using more modern technology like power point in their presentations.

I guess I am a bit in between the generations. I am not a minister but I have had a lot of opportunity to do a lot of public speaking. I find that power point really hampers my style and tends to distract from what I am trying to get across. God made us all different for a reason and to try and put speaking styles in a box simply has the effect of greatly hampering the message of anyone who is not predisposed to that box.
0 x