Two Gospels- By Blair Adams

Messages, Lectures and talks that relate, or connect to Anabapatist theology.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Two Gospels- By Blair Adams

Post by Josh »

MaxPC wrote:
KingdomBuilder wrote:Not seeking an entire thread (yet), but what is the consensus about this Homestead Heritage?
I'd be interested in a thread on the Homestead Heritage group.
Then by all means start one.
0 x
Steven Avery
Affiliation: Tabernacle of Praise

Re: Two Gospels- By Blair Adams

Post by Steven Avery »

Ernie wrote:Of all the presentations one could view this season, I think it would be hard to find something that Jesus would be more pleased with than this one.
Enjoy.

Although I've had the CD for probably 10-15 years, we were discussing it tonight and I watched it carefully with a few friends for the first time, one of whom had picked up the DVD down in Texas many years back (or maybe I picked up this copy in my 2009 visit.) My search on the net brought up this conversation.

And I did check the basic claim about Augustus Caesar and it seems accurate. Ironically some skeptics use that fact to attack Christianity as less authentic. (This is a humorous dynamic, clearly it is perfectly legitimate for Homestead Heritage to present this historical dualism in a more anointed pro-Christian manner.)

All in all I consider it pretty good, although I definitely would not see this production as any type of mirror on their community and its doctrines. Or even their depth of understanding of the history of the Christian church, since it was basically running with one small component and making one point. The closing Garden Tomb scene was neat, with connected music.

A couple of minor notes.

The Palestine reference (11:30) I consider to be a bit puzzling and anachronistic. The New Testament in the 1st century refers to the land of Israel, many times, quite clearly, and even in the words of the Lord Jesus Christ. After the Bar Kochba rebellion c.130 AD Rome started to refer to the region as Palestine.

The Bible quotes are generally pretty good, but at times they are mixing from versions, even within one passage. This is something I call "version smorgasbording", which has had a very deleterious effect on their literature and doctrinal consistency and clarity. However, here it did not cause any problems.

The reference to a "radical , different gospel" is double-edged. However, on this thread I want to only deal directly with the 38-minute vid.

Blair Adams has a good voice with some sense of authority. Gary Linzer worked diligently on the production. You do have to be careful with Homestead Heritage books, because the names put on them are not always reflective of the actual labours. In this case, you can be sure the two gentlemen were heavily involved, although others who contributed may have been omitted. One of the reasons why it was sensible and clear would be that Blair Adams was very involved, his style of writing and speaking has generally been good and easy to follow (not always the case with Homestead Heritage material.)

Steven Avery
0 x