Living for Jesus in a secularizing world

Messages, Lectures and talks that relate, or connect to Anabapatist theology.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Living for Jesus in a secularizing world

Post by Bootstrap »

Valerie wrote:In other words, I believe that the viewpoint of the early Church and forward was to believe they were to somehow "Christianize" the nations, leading them out of paganism- wasn't that the Great Commission? Not to necessarily become the quiet in the land- if we were to be the quiet in the land, I doubt so many in the early Church would have been killed- I doubt millions in Russia (Orthodox Christians) would have been killed - if we aren't offending anyone with our Christianity- they will leave us alone, correct?
In many "Christianized nations", Christianity is not offensive, but it doesn't change the way people live either. Everyone is a Christian, by definition, but it has little to do with discipleship to Jesus Christ.

If we live out true Christianity, some people will be offended. Not by political talking points, but by the way we reject much of what secular people and nominal Christians base their lives on. Jesus was not crucified because he sided with an unpopular political faction. He didn't try to take over the state.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

I'm a little late to this thread, but its a good one.

In my recent read through the old testament "history" books, I noticed how flexible pagans can be with their beliefs. If their gods are not working, and another god is working, they will happily move on. This is a great advantage in living in a pagan, or paganizing society, if a better way is presented, many will follow. The early church was born in a pagan society and was successful because they demonstrated a better way to be. Maybe a pagan society is a better harvest field than embittered "post-christian" or committed atheism.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Jazman wrote:
Josh wrote:Anabaptists in particular should not fret about a “post-Christian culture”; their origins were recognising the culture around them was actually not Christian at all.
Agreed. It's why I posted this particular episode, although I think they're all pretty good. I find hope in the fact that two pastors who I don't think come from Anabaptist background, are looking to Anabaptism as a light and hopeful way to live without fear in the world (as opposed to many other branches of so-called christianity)
This is one of the gifts of Anabaptist teachings: recognition of the secular culture as inherently sinful and the need for Christ for those who are enmeshed in secularism and politics.
:up:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God