"It's Just War" - Should Christians Fight? Debate

Messages, Lectures and talks that relate, or connect to Anabapatist theology.

Good debate?

Total votes: 0

Reflecting
Affiliation: Mennonite

"It's Just War" - Should Christians Fight? Debate

Post by Reflecting »

On YouTube. (Sorry I don’t know how to link it for y’all)
Warning: it’s 2 hrs long. ;)

I’m curious who has seen it.
And what was your opinion?

Our family has viewed 2/3rds of the debate and hope to finish in a few weeks. (Schedules) So far I think we all agree about a few things. Namely, while David Bercot is very knowledgeable, debates requirement to think on your feet probably isn’t one of his strong points.
Also, Dean Taylor DID, in fact, answer the question about the responsibility of the husband/father when his family is in danger. It just wasn’t an answer anyone wanted to hear. Also, my family all agrees that his argument that the non-resistant just don’t seem to run into these violent situations so much was #1. Unhelpful. #2. Hurtful to anyone who has faced this type of thing. #3. Denies the truth of every nonresistent person throughout history who HAS experienced violence. Just stick to the first answer. “God is in control. We trust Him, come what may.”
Over all we’d give it a huge thumbs up. Definitely want to finish it. And listen to it more than once.
My sil who recommended it to us says the closing arguments really are the highlights for clarity.

I’d like to know what some of you think of it.
0 x
”reflectthelight” in MDland
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Re: "It's Just War" - Should Christians Fight? Debate

Post by Ernie »

Reflecting wrote: I’m curious who has seen it.
And what was your opinion?
I was able to be present for this debate.
It bothered me at the event and afterwards how gleeful some of the attendees and speakers were that they had "won" the debate and "crushed" the opposition. (this was a non-resistant debate by the way) Meanwhile I felt the one just war proponent operated in a very Christlike manner. I even went up and shook his hand afterward and complimented him on the Spirit with which he handled himself.
The following day at a debriefing put on by the sponsors of the debate, I was able to address this at an open mic session and my concerns were appreciated and enlarged upon.

The debate was conundrum for me. I agreed with the content put forth by the "Kingdom Christians". I was drawn to the character, posture, and attitude of the one just war proponent. He even had the humility after the event to tell his opponents that he felt they came much more prepared than what he was and that he feels they easily won the debate.

As I understand, all five men on stage had supper together ahead of the debate.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Reflecting

Post by Reflecting »

I understand what you are saying here. We become too defensive of our nonresistance. :-|

Ernie, is the debriefing online too?
0 x
shadrach
Affiliation: Conserv. Mennonite

Post by shadrach »

Ernie, I was very intrigued by those 2 men, and I'm now very curious which of the two you are referring to.

That's sad about those sour comments from the supposed-nonresistant side.

To me the debate was not what it seemed--the non-resistant side had nothing new to say and their perspective of the church was radically different than the other side's, and the just-war side was prepared to debate pacifists. How do you have a debate about war when you already view the church and it's relationship to the world and government in a extremely different way? It seemed to me like putting the cart before the horse.
0 x
I like to write sometimes, but not to study.
I like to talk, but not to listen.
I like to make people laugh, but I am not funny.
I like to plan, but not to do.

I am probably the youngest member, so any rebuke is not out of place, but welcome.
Reflecting

Post by Reflecting »

shadrach wrote:Ernie, I was very intrigued by those 2 men, and I'm now very curious which of the two you are referring to.

That's sad about those sour comments from the supposed-nonresistant side.

To me the debate was not what it seemed--the non-resistant side had nothing new to say and their perspective of the church was radically different than the other side's, and the just-war side was prepared to debate pacifists. How do you have a debate about war when you already view the church and it's relationship to the world and government in a extremely different way? It seemed to me like putting the cart before the horse.
Very interesting perspective from our self-proclaimed pipsqueak.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Reflecting wrote:Ernie, is the debriefing online too?
Not that I am aware of.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Being on limited data gigs has its ... limitations. :mrgreen:
Campground wifi is often so dodgy it interrupts the vid and it has to be restarted. I'll bookmark it for a time when I can use a reliable data stream setup.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God