Means Your Pastor(s) Use In Sermons

Messages, Lectures and talks that relate, or connect to Anabapatist theology.

What kinds of means/tools does your pastor(s) use in preaching ?

Total votes: 0

ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Re: Means Your Pastor(s) Use In Sermons

Post by ohio jones »

steve-in-kville wrote:Wireless mics are such a blessing, right? :D
Conventional wisdom among sound guys a few years back was that wireless mics were an invention of the devil. They would cut in and out, squeal, go dead, or act up in other ways at the most inopportune times. The latest batch, though, are pretty reliable as long as you keep fresh batteries in them.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

A "voice amplifier" is most likely used by most pastors these days because no one can hear anymore. :mrgreen:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
queserasera_2
Affiliation:

Post by queserasera_2 »

We don't have a pulpit. it's worldly. ;)
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

queserasera_2 wrote:We don't have a pulpit. it's worldly. ;)
How about a platform that elevates the speaker above the congregation ?
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
ohio jones

Post by ohio jones »

And who in the world uses a pulpit? I would describe it as churchly. :)
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
queserasera_2
Affiliation:

Post by queserasera_2 »

Sudsy wrote:
Nope! We believe a pastor is not to be elevated above his flock but rather to be of and equal with them...
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

queserasera_2 wrote:
Sudsy wrote:
Nope! We believe a pastor is not to be elevated above his flock but rather to be of and equal with them...
Doesn't your phrase 'his flock' give a sense of being elevated ? We have pastors over various ministries and our 'lead pastor' prefers to just be called by his given name 'Chris' or 'brother'.

Myself, I think the scripture is quite clear that there needs to be leadership roles in the church and elevating them is not an issue of how physically elevated a speaker is when they speak but rather for us to not put a pastor on a pedestal in our minds to the point where whatever they say is without flaws. This would be idolatry. I have seen this happen especially in the charismatic stream of the church, which was my background.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Post by Heirbyadoption »

Que may eventually wander back to clarify the tongue-in-cheek reference, but since I'm passing by...

None of our ministers (pastor is not a common term among our groups [OO/conservative Brethren groups], except among the occasional postmodern- or evangelically-tainted :lol: ) would be likely to refer to the congregation as their own flock, nor would us common folk seriously refer to the congregation as being his/their flock (referencing "the pastor"), except in a moment of levity or facetiousness.

Per the use of pulpits, serious (and objectively intended) question here for those who grew up Mennonite (especially any who have an interest in history) - is it possible that the continued use of pulpits among Mennonites in general, besides practicality, might simply be a holdover of form/practice from the high/state churches your ancestors came out of?
0 x
ohio jones

Post by ohio jones »

Heirbyadoption wrote:Per the use of pulpits, serious (and objectively intended) question here for those who grew up Mennonite (especially any who have an interest in history) - is it possible that the continued use of pulpits among Mennonites in general, besides practicality, might simply be a holdover of form/practice from the high/state churches your ancestors came out of?
This may be true in the Netherlands, though even there a discontinuity of more than a century exists where meetinghouses were not in use, or were hidden. In other regions, pulpits were not in use until the 19th century, and their introduction then was more a result of "looking around" at other groups who had meetinghouses (at least in America, those would by then have been free church and later revivalist/fundamentalist/evangelical) rather than "looking back" to copy the forms of the rejected past.

GAMEO: Architecture
0 x