Singing Groups

Messages, Lectures and talks that relate, or connect to Anabapatist theology.
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Singing Groups

Postby Heirbyadoption » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:30 pm

Does anybody have a good reference, or is there actually a site of any sort, where one can find out where most Mennonite singing groups are singing and when during the year? Or is there no such thing outside my wishful imagination?
0 x

Josh

Re: Singing Groups

Postby Josh » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:31 pm

The Plain News sort of was going to do this if someone volunteered to collect the info. Ask Ernie if he still wants to do this.
0 x

appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Postby appleman2006 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:35 pm

I cannot speak for all singing groups but I can for one. :) Would be more than happy to pass their itinerary on for this year when it is finalized.
0 x

francis

Postby francis » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:55 pm

Not menno-specific, but there's been a revival in Sacred Harp/shape note singing in the past 60 or so years, and a lot of cities have singing groups. If you look up "sacred harp [city]" and live in a decent-sized city there might be something nearby. A lot of it is primitive baptist-based but the calvinist theology isn't in a majority of the songs. I know a few conservative mennonites that really like that tradition.

Here's a link to a youtube playlist of sacred harp music. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl6UpzXeE6E&list=PL4DA538B42E6EC612

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions, although I understand this might not be what you're looking for.
0 x

Josh

Postby Josh » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:48 pm

In the Portland (Ore.) area there are some folks pretty serious about singing the Sacred Harp. One of the (SBC) Baptist churches in Portland area pretty much only sings acapella (unless someone feels like playing the piano). That place also practices headcovering, although not as a requirement, a lot of women there just choose to do it. It is not Anabaptist to my knowledge at all.
0 x

Return to “Spoken Word”