Windows Explorer massive memory consumption

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Windows Explorer massive memory consumption

Post by Neto »

I was working on a customer's system today that was incredibly slow. I mean worse than 90 weight transmission oil in Minnesota in the dead of winter.

In the Windows Task Manager > Resource Monitor > Memory (tab), the category called Modified would steadily grow until it eliminated all Free Memory, then it would drop again, and start all over again. I noticed that memory consumption by Excel was steadily increasing and dropping in the same way, and figured out that if I turned off the Windows Explorer Preview function, then everything went back to very favorable levels, and the system was again quick to respond.

Any ideas what would cause this? (I dislike the preview window myself, and never use it, so I don't know what to expect as normal behavior.) It is running Windows 7 Pro SP1, 64-bit, with 4 GB RAM. (In comparison, my system here at home just has 2 GB RAM, and 32-bit OS, but the Modified category takes up a very small portion of the memory, as the customer's system as well, after I turned off the Preview Pane (pain).)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Windows Explorer massive memory consumption

Post by Josh »

I've run into a lot of problems with Preview with certain file types. It generates the previews over and over which can be slow for a complex spreadsheet. Best to just turn it off.
0 x