Audio Player

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Audio Player

Post by Ernie »

I'm looking for an easy-to-use audio player that will play .wav, .mp3, .wma etc.
I want something for my young girls that doesn't have radio capability or any other preloaded stuff that is hard to remove.

Any recommendations?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Audio Player

Post by Josh »

Anything old / ancient like an iRiver or an old iPod will work fine.

You can also get something newer like an iPod Touch or an iPhone without service and put parental restrictions on it - they work really well and cannot be bypassed.
0 x
PeterG
Affiliation: Conserv. Mennonite

Re: Audio Player

Post by PeterG »

There were TONS of mp3 players like this on the market 10-15 years ago, and as Josh said many of them could fit your needs. A few things you might want to be aware of—

Many of them were very cheap and very cheaply made, as I learned from experience with a couple of ~$10 devices. The iPod Mini I eventually got for about $25 (used) was way more than twice as good as the cheap ones. Devices from several other brands like Sony should also be okay.

These things are getting pretty old now, with many having worn-out batteries and memory that could fail any time. A failed hard drive is what killed my iPod.

Watch out for features you don't want, like the FM radios built into some iPods and many Sony mp3 players.

Something like this iPod Mini, with upgraded memory and battery, could work well for you. It has no radio or internet capability. It does have a couple of simple games that can't be easily removed, but they can be hidden by customizing the menu in the settings. An older iPod Nano, as mentioned by Judas Maccabeus in the other thread, would be essentially the same, although some have FM radios, cameras, etc. Note that you'll need to use iTunes software with an iPod, and that they use unique cables for charging and data transfer. I'd get an Amazon Basics brand cable (for the older models you're likely to consider you'd need the 30-pin cable, NOT the Lightning cable) if you buy an iPod that comes without one.

I'm mentioning iPods just because I'm familiar with them. I'm sure there are other options.
0 x
"It is a weird" —Ken