Browser for Windows 7?

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Browser for Windows 7?

Post by Neto »

Apparently my chickens are coming home to roost. Started this morning, that if I tried to open certain pages on threads here, I get kicked out of the browser (not just MennoNet). This evening it started to happen on other sites as well.

I have been using Brave for personal stuff, but after it started widening the mess (from the chickens, I guess) I did a search on the system requirements for Brave. Windows 7 is no longer supported.

Anyone ever use Thorium or Supermium? Other suggestions? (Or has everyone else already drank the OS 10 - OS 11 cool aide?)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Browser for Windows 7?

Post by Josh »

Neto wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:28 pm Apparently my chickens are coming home to roost. Started this morning, that if I tried to open certain pages on threads here, I get kicked out of the browser (not just MennoNet). This evening it started to happen on other sites as well.

I have been using Brave for personal stuff, but after it started widening the mess (from the chickens, I guess) I did a search on the system requirements for Brave. Windows 7 is no longer supported.

Anyone ever use Thorium or Supermium? Other suggestions? (Or has everyone else already drank the OS 10 - OS 11 cool aide?)
I would honestly avoid connecting an OS that old to the public Internet unless you are confident you can maintain a secure system.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:34 pm
Neto wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:28 pm Apparently my chickens are coming home to roost. Started this morning, that if I tried to open certain pages on threads here, I get kicked out of the browser (not just MennoNet). This evening it started to happen on other sites as well.

I would honestly avoid connecting an OS that old to the public Internet unless you are confident you can maintain a secure system.
Yeah. I agree.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

This reminds me of how my Dad refused to give up DOS and was only willing use Windows 3.1 and 95 because he could still natively run it. He refused to use Windows 2000 for years until it became impossible not to upgrade.

So it goes in tech...
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Neto

Post by Neto »

As long as I do not initiate or accept any administrative action (program installation) the system is secure. I have not used any anti-virus software for possibly up to the past 15 years or more. I never log into the Admin account without first disconnecting the network cable.

I also have an OS 10 system here in my office (as well as an XP computer, because I have both programs and hardware that cannot be used on even Win 7), but while there is one very nice feature in OS 10 & 11 (also have a system disk that is running OS 11, and can connect it easily when needed), I still prefer Win 7 for everything else. (The OS 10 & 11 systems are heavily modified, but the one good feature is the way Copy to ... & Move to ... work - that it allows you to do a global decision to keep files already in the destination folder that have the same time-date stamp, name and size as the ones in the source folder. Well, actually, I added the Copy to ... and Move to ... functions into the right click menu drop down, and have been doing that in Win 7 already for a long time as well. I suppose that you can get to native functions like that in OS 10 & 11, but they are buried in the mind-numbing "user-friendly" minimal icon style menu bar.)

I have been using computers since Kaypro II CP/M and Dek's OS, then up through various DOS iterations, Windows 3.1, 95, 98SE, XP, etc, and I will change when I no longer have a choice, but not until then, and not completely. I will just be forced to use a later system for internet related things. There are already a good many down-load sites that cannot be accessed through Win 7 - that's why I have the OS 10-11 system here in my office as well. Actually, hardware is the reason I am no longer using the XP system as my primary business system - my printer failed, and the new printer has no drivers for XP. At that time I was already no longer using XP for any internet related functions, like email, etc. - this Win 7 system was doing all of that. (It is around 11 to 12 years old, something like that. The XP system is over 20 years old.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

I still run an XP system. The older children educational games were decent.
1 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Soloist wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:09 am I still run an XP system. The older children educational games were decent.
I have a Windows 3.0 and a Windows 95 laptop somewhere in a closet. Their only meaning of existence is to program older two-way radios (that no one uses anymore).
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

steve-in-kville wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:11 am
Soloist wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:09 am I still run an XP system. The older children educational games were decent.
I have a Windows 3.0 and a Windows 95 laptop somewhere in a closet. Their only meaning of existence is to program older two-way radios (that no one uses anymore).
Yeah biggest issue is a hard drive failure… you can’t activate the old versions anymore…
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

This is what I like about my Timex Sinclair. The hard drive can't fall if there isn't one. Of course it is a bit of a pain to load every program from cassette tape.
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Neto

Post by Neto »

Soloist wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:26 am
steve-in-kville wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:11 am
Yeah biggest issue is a hard drive failure… you can’t activate the old versions anymore…
I cannot recall exactly when the call to activate method started - I thought that started with XP. (Although my XP computer is a Dell - bought it before I started building computers. But for some reason, it activates automatically.)

I do not activate any Microsoft programs (or OS) on the internet. I call in to do it, and it still works, at least as of a few days ago, when I activated Office 2013 and Streets & Trips 2013 for an Amish customer.

Windows 3.1, 95, & 98SE were all systems we used in Brazil, so I know I never had to even call in for those - it was all through a license-registration code included with the product. I also still use Word for DOS (very seldom anymore, but I really like the Style Sheet approach), and Word for Windows - must have been the first edition of MS Office, but we only ever had Word and Publisher. That also authenticate with a code you get with the product.

Regarding WIN 7 browsers, I am using Supermium a bit now, but one thing I DON'T like is that it includes Windows activity in the History list. It might be possible to set that to internet only (my preference), but I didn't find it yet. (I use the History list a lot. It saves me from needing to save a lot of short term Bookmark Tabs.)
0 x