Tech Frustration

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
MattY
Affiliation: Beachy

Tech Frustration

Post by MattY »

Does MennoNet log you out frequently for no reason? Have you ever typed up an entire comment, multiple paragraphs, etc., and hit "Preview" only for MennoNet to demand that you log in? And after you do, everything you typed has disappeared and can't be recovered, including by trying to go back to the previous page? *GRRRRR* :evil: :cry:

This happened on my phone. Is there a time limit after which it will log you out?

Oh, and another frustration, although a lesser one, is that the Search function isn't very good. It doesn't bring up every time that the term or word has been used. Sometimes I might remember using a word or term in the past - not an extremely common word - and use Search to try to find my comment. For example, I can see clearly that I wrote "Daniel Kauffman" in a comment in 2018 - if I navigate back through my past comments on my profile and look through every one. But when I search for "Daniel Kauffman", it doesn't bring up my comment.
0 x
Almighty, most holy God
Faithful through the ages
Almighty, most holy Lord
Glorious, almighty God
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: Tech Frustration

Post by Soloist »

MattY wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:12 am Does MennoNet log you out frequently for no reason? Have you ever typed up an entire comment, multiple paragraphs, etc., and hit "Preview" only for MennoNet to demand that you log in? And after you do, everything you typed has disappeared and can't be recovered, including by trying to go back to the previous page? *GRRRRR* :evil: :cry:

This happened on my phone. Is there a time limit after which it will log you out?

Oh, and another frustration, although a lesser one, is that the Search function isn't very good. It doesn't bring up every time that the term or word has been used. Sometimes I might remember using a word or term in the past - not an extremely common word - and use Search to try to find my comment. For example, I can see clearly that I wrote "Daniel Kauffman" in a comment in 2018 - if I navigate back through my past comments on my profile and look through every one. But when I search for "Daniel Kauffman", it doesn't bring up my comment.

Sometimes this happens to me, more often I have network issues. I copy my post most of the time to side step that issue. Use google to search the forum, it’s a little better.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

When I am logged in on my phone, and click the "Home" tab, it logs me out. But on my P.C., I can click on the "Home" tab, it does not log me out.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Post from your computer.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Soloist wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:18 am Use google to search the forum, it’s a little better.
Sometimes, but it still doesn't find that particular post. It seems there's a date range that isn't properly indexed or something.
Josh wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:23 am Post from your computer.
When possible, that's usually preferable. But the other day I had to yeet a post while in the TK lounge in MIA E (alas, not the nicer one in H/J), and the phone was the tool at hand. Fortunately it did the job.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

Make sure you are logged in before attempting to post anything. After a period of time, you will need to re-log in. I usually post from a laptop and not a phone.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Grace wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:37 am Make sure you are logged in before attempting to post anything. After a period of time, you will need to re-log in. I usually post from a laptop and not a phone.
I view this site using about four devices, but only login on maybe two. Never had an issue getting kicked off.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Back in the day, the US Airways Club had “data ports” which you could plug your massive laptop into. And free local calls

Moving forward circa 2001, I carried a predecessor to the smartphone (a Handspring Treo with an AT&T CDPD modem in the Springboard slot). A few years later, there started to be “business PCs” you could walk up to and use.

Nowadays it’s hard to even find a working printer. Let alone a fax.
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

I have had that type of Posting error, so I often write up everything in Microsoft Word for Windows (yeah, the 1995 version), then copy & paste it into the MennoNet comment box. That way I can save my work periodically. (However, anytime I'm using Word, I use the Save As method, not just the Save. Reason: the Save As route goes deeper in saving the file than the Save method. The Save method is a fast save, at least on the older versions. I don't like the new versions much at all. Nothing about them to make me want to upgrade.) Or, I just use OpenOffice or LibreOffice - have both installed.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Josh wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:00 pm
Nowadays it’s hard to even find a working printer. Let alone a fax.
Couldn't tell you the last time I seen a fax actually send or receive.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!