Modem/Router Combo

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Modem/Router Combo

Post by Ernie »

I am wanting to update my modem/router combo and I think the latest is Docsis 3.1. Is that correct?

Any recommendations as to what I should get for Xfinity/Comcast?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Modem/Router Combo

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:01 pm I am wanting to update my modem/router combo and I think the latest is Docsis 3.1. Is that correct?

For most people, it's simplest to just use whatever your ISP (in this case Comcast/Xfinity) supplies.

If you're trying to buy one to avoid the rental fees, I use an Arris DOCSIS 3.1 modem. It has a 2.5G port and handles gigabit speeds just fine.
0 x
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Josh wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:11 pm
Ernie wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:01 pm I am wanting to update my modem/router combo and I think the latest is Docsis 3.1. Is that correct?

For most people, it's simplest to just use whatever your ISP (in this case Comcast/Xfinity) supplies.

If you're trying to buy one to avoid the rental fees, I use an Arris DOCSIS 3.1 modem. It has a 2.5G port and handles gigabit speeds just fine.
Yes, I want to purchase one. What router do your recommend if I use this for a modem?

www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Surfboard-S33-Mult ... C5WZ/?th=1
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I would get a Ubiquiti router; they have a wide range of different products. The EdgeRouter-X is probably the cheapest and works ok if you just have a few computers.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

You may be able to find both in one unit. Last time I set one up on Comcast, it is what I used. I simply found out which of these Comcast sold. Like this. Josh, what do you htink?

0 x
:hug:
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:02 pm You may be able to find both in one unit. Last time I set one up on Comcast, it is what I used. I simply found out which of these Comcast sold. Like this. Josh, what do you htink?

15% of buyers gave this a 1 star
0 x
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Josh wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:59 pm I would get a Ubiquiti router; they have a wide range of different products. The EdgeRouter-X is probably the cheapest and works ok if you just have a few computers.
www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-EdgeRo ... B011N1IT2A

It looks like this router does not have a wifi option.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

I'd check to see if are due for an upgrade. Some months ago I had a transaction with Xfinity and found out I was due for one. Our current router is way smaller than the older one and I was able to do away with a repeater we used to reach the far side of the house.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

steve-in-kville wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:09 am
I'd check to see if are due for an upgrade. Some months ago I had a transaction with Xfinity and found out I was due for one. Our current router is way smaller than the older one and I was able to do away with a repeater we used to reach the far side of the house.
I already know it is time to upgrade, and I want to buy rather than rent.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Ernie wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:49 am
steve-in-kville wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:09 am
I already know it is time to upgrade, and I want to buy rather than rent.
I see. Never went down that route.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!