Time for a new phone

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Time for a new phone

Post by steve-in-kville »

My current smartphone is on its last leg. Either not charging correctly, or not holding a charge... or both. It started getting glitchy, screen goes black for no real reason. Plan on visiting the AT&T store Friday. I cannot believe the money they want for these new iPhone. Mine is a Samsung so most likely I'll stick with that.

Not looking forward to this for some reason.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Time for a new phone

Post by Josh »

Look into the used market. Lots of deals on places like Swappa.

If you have an “expensive” phone plan you might be able to get one of those “free” trade in deals but be warned: it’ll require you to take out a 3 year loan and then applies credits to your phone bill for the next 3 years to pay off that loan.
0 x
steve-in-kville

Josh wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:56 am Look into the used market. Lots of deals on places like Swappa.

If you have an “expensive” phone plan you might be able to get one of those “free” trade in deals but be warned: it’ll require you to take out a 3 year loan and then applies credits to your phone bill for the next 3 years to pay off that loan.
I picked up on that.
0 x

Josh

Post by Josh »

I have a “full price” phone plan (works out to $43 or so a month after tax on a family plan), so I should probably do one of those trade in deals. Thing is, I’m completely happy with my current phone…
0 x
steve-in-kville

Josh wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:51 pm I have a “full price” phone plan (works out to $43 or so a month after tax on a family plan), so I should probably do one of those trade in deals. Thing is, I’m completely happy with my current phone…
All our phones are all pre-paid plans, which is just fine with me. Maybe once a year I need to add $10 or data, otherwise everything holds out.
0 x

Josh

Post by Josh »

steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:55 pm
Josh wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:51 pm I have a “full price” phone plan (works out to $43 or so a month after tax on a family plan), so I should probably do one of those trade in deals. Thing is, I’m completely happy with my current phone…
All our phones are all pre-paid plans, which is just fine with me. Maybe once a year I need to add $10 or data, otherwise everything holds out.
I’ve considered doing that, but some of us just use too much data.
0 x
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:01 am My current smartphone is on its last leg. Either not charging correctly, or not holding a charge... or both. It started getting glitchy, screen goes black for no real reason. Plan on visiting the AT&T store Friday. I cannot believe the money they want for these new iPhone. Mine is a Samsung so most likely I'll stick with that.

Not looking forward to this for some reason.
You get what you pay for. I switched to iPhone from Android about 3 years ago, when I bought the flagship at the time, the iPhone 12 Pro Max. I wasn't unhappy with Android but I needed a security service that was only available on IOS. I probably paid around $900 for the phone. But I've had it for three years now, and the phone still works exactly like it should. I can't tell a difference in any function from the day it was new. I even jumped into the lake with it once. The iPhone 15 just came out, but I don't really have a reason to get it. It's easily the best and longest lasting phone I've ever had. There are some things I really miss about Android OS but Apple hardware is hard to beat.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
steve-in-kville

I've been using Android on this one but the one before that was a Windows phone which was fine, too. AT&T sent me this one for free when they switched to the 5G network, so I can't complain.

I just hate switching to another platform.
0 x

ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Josh wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:13 pm
Between home, work, and church I have wifi coverage 90% of the time. I used to keep data off and turn it on only when necessary. That eventually got too restrictive, but it did discipline me to pay attention to which connection I was using.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
steve-in-kville

ohio jones wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:52 pm
Josh wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:13 pm

Between home, work, and church I have wifi coverage 90% of the time. I used to keep data off and turn it on only when necessary. That eventually got too restrictive, but it did discipline me to pay attention to which connection I was using.
Between home and work (in the building anyway) I have reasonable coverage with wifi. I have taken to watching podcasts at breaktime in my car where it is a lot quieter.

Typically my data package is sufficient.
0 x