Time for a new phone

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
Pelerin
Affiliation:

Re: Time for a new phone

Post by Pelerin »

steve-in-kville wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:58 am
GoodGirl wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:47 am For what it’s worth, we are totally an Apple family.
I like my iPhone & wouldn’t want to switch.

We usually buy the second newest model (so not the newest one) & get good cases, and they tend to last a long time.

We have some pretty old ones that our younger children (tweens & young teens) can do very basic things on.
We've been using Android stuff for years. Does the job. I've bought cars that ran for less than those cost.
If you buy new then sure, but you can save a lot of money by buying a used or refurbished one that’s two years or so out of date. I got an iPhone 8 in 2019 that’s still going strong and is still supported, though I somewhat recently started using an iPhone 11 that was given to me for free (there’s another money-saving tip for you).

The long support cycle is basically what has kept me with Apple even though I keep seriously considering android when I get a new phone. I’m just constantly astounded how short a lifespan Android phones have. With new EU laws coming on that prevents Apple from locking iPhones down and requires them to allow sideloading, maybe I will stick around. Ah well, I won’t have to decide until around 2029.
0 x
PetrChelcicky
Affiliation: none

Post by PetrChelcicky »

Well, I bought a refurbished phone via ebay, and it was indeed refurbished - only it was no longer supported by any Internet provider,so - no Internet.
0 x
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

Pelerin wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:41 pm
steve-in-kville wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:58 am
GoodGirl wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:47 am For what it’s worth, we are totally an Apple family.
I like my iPhone & wouldn’t want to switch.

We usually buy the second newest model (so not the newest one) & get good cases, and they tend to last a long time.

We have some pretty old ones that our younger children (tweens & young teens) can do very basic things on.
We've been using Android stuff for years. Does the job. I've bought cars that ran for less than those cost.
If you buy new then sure, but you can save a lot of money by buying a used or refurbished one that’s two years or so out of date. I got an iPhone 8 in 2019 that’s still going strong and is still supported, though I somewhat recently started using an iPhone 11 that was given to me for free (there’s another money-saving tip for you).

The long support cycle is basically what has kept me with Apple even though I keep seriously considering android when I get a new phone. I’m just constantly astounded how short a lifespan Android phones have. With new EU laws coming on that prevents Apple from locking iPhones down and requires them to allow sideloading, maybe I will stick around. Ah well, I won’t have to decide until around 2029.
I used an Android for years and found that your best bet is a Google-branded phone. The Pixels are going to be the best Android phones available. Samsung is probably next best, but they insert too much of their own bloatware. However my knowledge is a few years old on that. I switched to iPhone so I could use a particular Internet filter, and I still have my first one, a 12 Pro Max, which is three years old and going strong. It works as well as the day I bought it. I'd buy another iPhone although there are still features of Android that I miss.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3