Facial Recognition Software

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Re: Facial Recognition Software

Post by Neto »

Pelerin wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:48 pm ....
I’m sure I remember a story a few months ago where parts of a photo that shouldn’t be visible were recreated from…shadows or refracted light or something like that—I can’t quite remember.
I recall that as well, but cannot remember the particulars. I think, however, that it was a photo that had been either blurred or edited in one area, or perhaps it was cropped. Then the hackers were able to restore the original from the photo's data. I would suspect that creating a new photo would make this more difficult, if not impossible. For instance, don't use editing software to crop a photo. Display in on your screen, then use something like Windows Snip to select and copy only the part you want to share. I use this tool to capture photos from how-to videos, to create a how-to document, and also to capture a frame from an old film that shows an old vehicle I'm interested in.
[I used to always copy photos through the Right-Click - Save-As routine, but sometimes that option is not available. So the Snip method has become the more common approach for me in most cases. In some technical computer repair or program trouble-shooting presentations I've saved through the Save-As method - to create a document (because although lots of stuff on the internet that should go away never does, often when I find a link I've saved years ago for something I thought I could go back and read again - often it's a dead link when I try it) - I've noticed that in cases where I've used the Save-As routine, that an internet address appears when I hover the mouse over the photo file name, even though I saved it as a different file name. So that information is apparently preserved in the photo's meta-data.]
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.