USB damage

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

USB damage

Post by Soloist »

Well… I’ve got a 150$ paperweight unless I can fix the usb end. Somehow it got water on it and rusted either from prior owner or an unknown cause. Anyway it was working yesterday and finally broke.
I’m not super experienced in this sort of work but I’ve got 5 wires. I can get a repair usb end but I don’t know what wires are carrying what.
Any ideas? The company doesn’t have any replacement parts available so I can’t just replace the cord.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Re: USB damage

Post by Neto »

You should be able to find wiring diagrams on-line.

Saw this:
What are the 5 colored wires in a USB cable?
A Brief Introduction to USB Color Code (USB Wire & Port)
The meanings of these USB wire color code are:
Red: The wire in red is used to pass positively-charged electric power. It has 5V direct current electricity.
Black: The wire in black is the ground wire.
White: The wire in white is used for positive data (D+).
Green: The wire in green is used for negative data (D-).

I think that the 5th wire is the ground to the metal outside of the plug, and this would be the woven wire loom that surrounds the other 4. (At least some cables are made like that.)
On many devices, the challenge will be to manage to solder the wires into the device, because those points are very close together, especially if it's the USB-C type connector.
But maybe I'm not understanding the question adequately.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Soloist wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:45 pm Well… I’ve got a 150$ paperweight unless I can fix the usb end. Somehow it got water on it and rusted either from prior owner or an unknown cause. Anyway it was working yesterday and finally broke.
I’m not super experienced in this sort of work but I’ve got 5 wires. I can get a repair usb end but I don’t know what wires are carrying what.
Any ideas? The company doesn’t have any replacement parts available so I can’t just replace the cord.
Can you replace the whole cord at the other end?

How non-standard can a USB cord be?
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

Ken wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:18 pm
Can you replace the whole cord at the other end?

How non-standard can a USB cord be?
That would be the easiest option if I can find one, I also need to figure out how to open it without damaging it.
0 x
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

Neto wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:17 pm You should be able to find wiring diagrams on-line.

Saw this:
Red: The wire in red is used to pass positively-charged electric power. It has 5V direct current electricity.

I think that the 5th wire is the ground to the metal outside of the plug, and this would be the woven wire loom that surrounds the other 4. (At least some cables are made like that.)
On many devices, the challenge will be to manage to solder the wires into the device, because those points are very close together, especially if it's the USB-C type connector.
I think that color scheme was what I was looking for. I think I just need to either find a cord option (I’m a little skeptical) or a new plug with either lead wires or a way to solder it.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Soloist wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:33 pm
Neto wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:17 pm You should be able to find wiring diagrams on-line.

Saw this:

I think that color scheme was what I was looking for. I think I just need to either find a cord option (I’m a little skeptical) or a new plug with either lead wires or a way to solder it.
A new plug with lead ends should be easy to find. Just buy a USB extension cord and use a pair of dikes to cut it in half.
0 x