Kids Who Get Smartphones Earlier Become Adults With Worse Mental Health

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Re: Kids Who Get Smartphones Earlier Become Adults With Worse Mental Health

Post by Szdfan »

Valerie wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:52 pm Originally people were attributing this to violent video games .
Other countries have violent video games, often the exact same violent video games as in the US.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Valerie wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:52 pm Too much screen time affects the brain studies have shown, & moreso in children.

But why the big difference in U.S. & other countries?

Originally people were attributing this to violent video games .

Ro me, the elephant in the room is not easy access to firearms, but "why/what" goes on in the "mind" of one who feel s the need to do these Mass shootings.

It seems the studies should focus on common factors in those who commit such crimes.
Easy access has been thoroughly studied, the most common findings are that access has not increased but decreased ..
the less common, less politicized, not lib-PC common denominators are fatherless homes and legal+illegal drug use.

i would add to those two factors, non-enforcement of existing laws, refusal to recognize/act on red flag behaviors, “mainstreaming” troubled children, teen, young adults, for PC reasons; also, wealthy families buying their troubled youth out of accountability.

But this strays away from the subject line: KIDS WHO GET SMARTPHONES EARLIER ..
The CDC report below names girls, but oddly drifts off to be about homosexual behaviors .. i agree, pushing “the nonstop sex agenda” onto girls+boys likely adds to their mental health challenges as much as or more than smartphones. Not mentioned in the report (or anywhere).

“U.S. Teen Girls Experiencing Increased Sadness and Violence”
https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2023/p0213-yrbs.html

temporal1 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 8:20 pm “Maryland school district sues social media companies, alleges their platforms are contributing to mental health crisis”
https://www.bizpacreview.com/2023/05/17 ... term=EMAIL
i believe there will be lots more forthcoming on this.

Sadly, without King Solomon, only faulty secular human law, i’m not counting on much wisdom.

Formerly, MANY attempted to clean up sex+violence from television and hollywood, movie ratings followed.
Later, MANY have attempted to reign in sex+violence from video games .. where massive fortunes are made, well-funded and legally powerful LOBBIES are found, protecting profits, not young minds. Political lobbies don’t sleep.

Another example of how whacked our world is: children’s books

Anthony Brian Logan / Black Pastor OFFENDS School Board By Reading... Children's Book? / 11min

Sadness? Violence? Mental health?? - Surprise, surprise. GIGO
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

The book referenced in the above ABL video:

Eraced: Uncovering the Lies of Critical Race Theory and Abortion
Book by John K. Amanchukwu
https://books.google.com/books/about/Er ... J3EAAAQBAJ
0 x

UNKNOWN
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Ken wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 12:00 am
Valerie wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:52 pm Too much screen time affects the brain studies have shown, & moreso in children.

But why the big difference in U.S. & other countries?

Originally people were attributing this to violent video games .

Ro me, the elephant in the room is not easy access to firearms, but "why/what" goes on in the "mind" of one who feel s the need to do these Mass shootings. It seems the studies should focus on common factors in those who commit such crimes.
Except for the "common factor" that they all had easy access to firearms? Apparently that is one common factor that we mustn't investigate?
You jave to address the root of the problem not just the consequences. WHY they do this and what leafs then to this action is essential to study. There are other ways to "mass murder" as we have seen cars driven into crowds and homemade bombs aren't difficult so if they don't have access to guns and they have evil in their heart they will find a way. You have to address the root causes i
0 x
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Post by HondurasKeiser »

This relevant piece came out this morning at Bari Weiss's The Free Press
In 2018, Lance Black, a Utah father of six, became a founder and investor in Gabb Wireless—a company making internet-free smartphones. The devices, which start at $150, are aimed at kids 5 to 15 and loaded only with the essentials: features for texting, calling, and a GPS tracker for parents. (Call them dumbphones.)

“It has a touchscreen, and you can call and text, so kids aren’t embarrassed to pull it out,” Black tells me, adding that it runs on an Android-based operating system.
One of the comments to the piece made me chuckle:
Count me among this group. I have told my friends that I would prefer my kids start smoking than get a smartphone at their ages. They think I’m nuts, but I know cigarettes won’t drive them to suicide and self harm as teenagers. The same certainly can’t be said for smartphones.

I have made abundantly clear that there will be no phones of any kind until they drive, and even then it will be something like the Gab phone. Once they get to college they can get a smartphone which they pay for...I will never pay for it under any circumstances.

I am not an overly strict parent, but this is a hill I will die on. It maybe because I’m not strict that they accept this strict rule about smart phones.
1 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Note that it’s relatively simple to make an iPhone unable to do anything except place phone calls, send texts, and track GPS etc. (although I really question why anyone’s kids need to be texting, why can’t a phone call do?)
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 9:55 am Note that it’s relatively simple to make an iPhone unable to do anything except place phone calls, send texts, and track GPS etc. (although I really question why anyone’s kids need to be texting, why can’t a phone call do?)
i was with my daughter+grdaughter when they were looking at flip-phones+smartphones for my new-teen grdaughter.
my grdaughter requested a basic flip-phone, her friends had them. i thought a good idea. no purchase that day.

eventually, the young teen was given her mother’s used smartphone.
there have been some problems.

my daughter, overall, has been very careful and conscientious about distancing the child from all screen time, including television. they don’t have the tv running, they select certain things to view at limited times. i think this is true for many young people.

my daughter assures me she has set the child’s phone to operate pretty much like a flip-phone. i hope so.
i would prefer a flip-phone. without camera. texting could go, too.

i’m happy with my daughter’s tech choices, esp in early years when the rule was “NO SCREEN TIME.”
esp since dad’s job is in the video game industry, and he has little interest in anything else. he respects my daughter’s wishes.
i’m not sure he would if they had a boy. i try not to think about that.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

temporal1 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 1:03 pm i was with my daughter+grdaughter when they were looking at flip-phones+smartphones for my new-teen grdaughter.
my grdaughter requested a basic flip-phone, her friends had them. i thought a good idea. no purchase that day.

my daughter, overall, has been very careful and conscientious about distancing the child from all screen time, including television. they don’t have the tv running, they select certain things to view at limited times. i think this is true for many young people.

my daughter assures me she has set the child’s phone to operate pretty much like a flip-phone. i hope so.

i’m happy with my daughter’s tech choices, esp in early years when the rule was “NO SCREEN TIME.”
esp since dad’s job is in the video game industry, and he has little interest in anything else. he respects my daughter’s wishes.
The only viable flip phone (that is not a smartphone) currently on the market is the Kyocera XV, which doesn't really have a way to restrict the web browser browsing via Wi-Fi.

There are several "flip phones" that are just Android phones, and overall, Android phones are very difficult to lock down.

The iPhone isn't a "flip phone" but it is possible to configure it such that all it can do is make phone calls, or all it can do is make phone calls and text messages. You can disable the camera, and you can also make it so only certain people can be called and only certain people can call it, which is a good idea for younger children.
1 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Josh wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 1:08 pm
temporal1 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 1:03 pm i was with my daughter+grdaughter when they were looking at flip-phones+smartphones for my new-teen grdaughter.

The only viable flip phone (that is not a smartphone) currently on the market is the Kyocera XV, which doesn't really have a way to restrict the web browser browsing via Wi-Fi.

There are several "flip phones" that are just Android phones, and overall, Android phones are very difficult to lock down.

The iPhone isn't a "flip phone" but it is possible to configure it such that all it can do is make phone calls, or all it can do is make phone calls and text messages. You can disable the camera, and you can also make it so only certain people can be called and only certain people can call it, which is a good idea for younger children.
I am under the impression that there is a firmware flash available for the Kyocera DuraXV that can remove the browser.
0 x