MS Streets and Trips 2013

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

MS Streets and Trips 2013

Post by Ernie »

I'm trying to get a couple copies of this software at a reasonable price. Can anyone help me?

If you know of an earlier version for cheap, I may be interested in that as well.

Thanks
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: MS Streets and Trips 2013

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote:I'm trying to get a couple copies of this software at a reasonable price. Can anyone help me?

If you know of an earlier version for cheap, I may be interested in that as well.

Thanks
I found that Microsoft's trial version seems to run fine indefinitely. I run it in Oracle VirtualBox on Windows XP on my Mac.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Josh wrote:
Ernie wrote:I'm trying to get a couple copies of this software at a reasonable price. Can anyone help me?

Thanks
I found that Microsoft's trial version seems to run fine indefinitely. I run it in Oracle VirtualBox on Windows XP on my Mac.
It did not work for me on Windows 10. After a couple weeks I couldn't use it.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote:It did not work for me on Windows 10. After a couple weeks I couldn't use it.
Probably because I have it in an old Windows XP VM then... there's really no good source for this software anymore. Microsoft doesn't sell it anymore, and the used software market for it is pretty moribund.

I would have no moral / ethical qualms about using an unlicenced copy of it, as Microsoft does not have any interest in pursuing unlicenced users of old copies of software anymore.
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Josh wrote: I would have no moral / ethical qualms about using an unlicenced copy of it, as Microsoft does not have any interest in pursuing unlicenced users of old copies of software anymore.
I wouldn't either, and although I don't use it myself, I do install it for free for my customers. (I just make a small charge to cover the time involved in installation & the telephone call to register it. This is almost always or always grouped with other service work.) Here's how I explain it to my customers: Microsoft abandoned the program, and do not offer anything in its place. They are also no longer supporting it, so giving it away does not deprive them of any potential income.

Of course it is becoming more & more out-dated, but (to my knowledge & in my opinion) it is still the best off-line map program.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Josh

Post by Josh »

Neto wrote:I wouldn't either, and although I don't use it myself, I do install it for free for my customers. (I just make a small charge to cover the time involved in installation & the telephone call to register it. This is almost always or always grouped with other service work.) Here's how I explain it to my customers: Microsoft abandoned the program, and do not offer anything in its place. They are also no longer supporting it, so giving it away does not deprive them of any potential income.

Of course it is becoming more & more out-dated, but (to my knowledge & in my opinion) it is still the best off-line map program.
I've been thinking about taking the (free) data from OpenStreetMap and assembling it along with some free software into a package for off-line map usage. Do you think there would be much interest in this?

Particularly, it could be updated with a DVD, flash drive, etc. periodically.
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Josh wrote:
Neto wrote:I wouldn't either, and although I don't use it myself, I do install it for free for my customers. (I just make a small charge to cover the time involved in installation & the telephone call to register it. This is almost always or always grouped with other service work.) Here's how I explain it to my customers: Microsoft abandoned the program, and do not offer anything in its place. They are also no longer supporting it, so giving it away does not deprive them of any potential income.

I've been thinking about taking the (free) data from OpenStreetMap and assembling it along with some free software into a package for off-line map usage. Do you think there would be much interest in this?

If it had an easy to use interface like Streets & Trips, yes, I believe so. A number of our customers use Streets & Trips to plan deliveries, and probably even more use it to estimate shipping costs for their customers. It's quick & easy, so they like it. It may not catch on right away, but as S&T 2013 becomes more & more outdated, the demand for something else will increase, and with the way things are going, I don't anticipate any major software company coming out with anything comparable for off-line use.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Josh wrote:

Have you considered ARC Map?

It is my understanding it will import datapoint in access or excel.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
Josh

Post by Josh »

ArcGIS isn't free is it?
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Josh wrote:ArcGIS isn't free is it?
No. But not terribly expensive if you use the "nonprofit" route.

J.M.
0 x
:hug: