MS Streets and Trips 2013

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Re: MS Streets and Trips 2013

Post by Ernie »

Neto wrote:
Josh wrote: I would have no moral / ethical qualms about using an unlicenced copy of it, as Microsoft does not have any interest in pursuing unlicenced users of old copies of software anymore.
I wouldn't either, and although I don't use it myself, I do install it for free for my customers. (I just make a small charge to cover the time involved in installation & the telephone call to register it. This is almost always or always grouped with other service work.) Here's how I explain it to my customers: Microsoft abandoned the program, and do not offer anything in its place. They are also no longer supporting it, so giving it away does not deprive them of any potential income.

Of course it is becoming more & more out-dated, but (to my knowledge & in my opinion) it is still the best off-line map program.
So how can I get it.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Josh wrote:ArcGIS isn't free is it?
I had one customer who used ArcGIS, and got the maps from several different county offices, in the areas where he was buying timber. Each county's maps worked a bit differently, and as far as I saw, the program was powerful, but somewhat difficult to set up & use. (It also had a lot more information, and of a different type, than S&T. For instance, you could bring up detailed land ownership information.) Maybe this was a different type of mapping than you are referring to. This was already some years ago, and he is no longer in that business, and I suspect this was very much a developing field at that time.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

I know this doesn't answer your question of where to get S&T 2013, but if this is for a Windows 10 install have you tried their integrated maps app? There is an option to download maps for offline use.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

I need ST to run a database based on ST.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Ernie wrote:I need ST to run a database based on ST.
There are older copies on e bay. However most of them will not run on any system newer than XP. Newer ones are a bit pricey.

The discussion above largely is about a way forward. Sooner or later, S&T will become unusable. With the security problems of XP that day may arrive sooner than we all think.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Running XP in a VM like VirtualBox is a viable solution. The VM isn't Internet connected.

It is a huge pain to do things like cut and paste though.
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Ernie wrote:
Neto wrote:
Josh wrote: I would have no moral / ethical qualms about using an unlicenced copy of it, as Microsoft does not have any interest in pursuing unlicenced users of old copies of software anymore.
I wouldn't either, and although I don't use it myself, I do install it for free for my customers. (I just make a small charge to cover the time involved in installation & the telephone call to register it. This is almost always or always grouped with other service work.) Here's how I explain it to my customers: Microsoft abandoned the program, and do not offer anything in its place. They are also no longer supporting it, so giving it away does not deprive them of any potential income.

Of course it is becoming more & more out-dated, but (to my knowledge & in my opinion) it is still the best off-line map program.
So how can I get it.
I assume you mean where to get the license code. (The program itself may still be on MS download sites. If not, let me know, & I can send a disk to you.) As far as the code itself is concerned, I just reuse the same one over & over. Do you have the program already, and just need more copies?

I have never done business w/ this company, but found this in a search:
http://topappsoutlet.com/product/micros ... rips-2013/

I don't have a Win 10 box, by the way, so I don't know if it will work in that environment. (Still in Win 7, the REAL WINner, in my opinion.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.