download speeds

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Re: download speeds

Post by gcdonner »

Haystack wrote:
gcdonner wrote:
Haystack wrote: Yes you can use a SSD for the OS and select programs you use the most along with the HDD for storage.
Is it backward applicable for a pc like mine and do they hook up differently than an HDD?
They hook up the same as a HDD. You would see a difference, but I don't think your current setup will see the full potential of the SSD speeds depending on your sata ports. I'll look into it for you.
Thanks so much.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

gcdonner wrote: Is it backward applicable for a pc like mine and do they hook up differently than an HDD?
For the work involved and the cost, for what you do, I think you would not see a big benefit.

Adding RAM is cheap and easy.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Robert wrote:
gcdonner wrote: Is it backward applicable for a pc like mine and do they hook up differently than an HDD?
For the work involved and the cost, for what you do, I think you would not see a big benefit.

That was my original thought, but cheap didn't do the job, so this time I will buy a matching set of 4 sticks and go for 32GB to see if my computer will handle it.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

gcdonner wrote:
Robert wrote:

That was my original thought, but cheap didn't do the job, so this time I will buy a matching set of 4 sticks and go for 32GB to see if my computer will handle it.
Win7 and before can only see 16GB.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Robert wrote:
gcdonner wrote:
Robert wrote: For the work involved and the cost, for what you do, I think you would not see a big benefit.

If that is true then why are there sellers on eBay (with good ratings) selling Win7 rigs with 32GB?
0 x
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

gcdonner wrote:
Robert wrote:
gcdonner wrote: That was my original thought, but cheap didn't do the job, so this time I will buy a matching set of 4 sticks and go for 32GB to see if my computer will handle it.
If that is true then why are there sellers on eBay (with good ratings) selling Win7 rigs with 32GB?
So you can upgrade to Windows 10. :yawn:
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

gcdonner wrote:
Robert wrote:
gcdonner wrote: That was my original thought, but cheap didn't do the job, so this time I will buy a matching set of 4 sticks and go for 32GB to see if my computer will handle it.
Are they Win7 Pro or Win7 Home Premium? Win7 Pro and higher can utilize up to 192GB.
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

lesterb wrote:
gcdonner wrote:
Robert wrote:
My problem with Win10 is the loss in the process of some of my programs that I depend upon now, plus I understand it takes a lot more memory to run it with all the extra junk it carries. I still miss some of the programs that I used when I had WinXP. When push comes to shove it may eventually be necessary. Thanks Lester.
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

ken_sylvania wrote:
gcdonner wrote:
Robert wrote:
Are they Win7 Pro or Win7 Home Premium? Win7 Pro and higher can utilize up to 192GB.
The machine I am looking at has Win7 Pro.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

gcdonner wrote:
lesterb wrote:
gcdonner wrote: If that is true then why are there sellers on eBay (with good ratings) selling Win7 rigs with 32GB?
My problem with Win10 is the loss in the process of some of my programs that I depend upon now, plus I understand it takes a lot more memory to run it with all the extra junk it carries. I still miss some of the programs that I used when I had WinXP. When push comes to shove it may eventually be necessary. Thanks Lester.
I surely don't blame you if you stick with Win7 as long as possible. I find Win10 annoying....
0 x