download speeds

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
Haystack
Affiliation: Christian

Re: download speeds

Post by Haystack »

gcdonner wrote:How does one retrieve a saved post?
I believe that I have my download problem solved.
Question: Can you have too much RAM?
Answer: it would appear so.

I had 24GB of RAM in my PC, though my Speccy program only saw 20 and the computer's properties manager only saw 16GB.
I have since removed 2 4GB sticks so that I actually have only 16GB now and both programs see it the same.
Now my download speed is 18+mps whereas before it was doing well to get 2mps. The download is 8-9mps, which is near to what my server promises, of 20 down and 10 up.
Let that be a lesson to me. It seems my computer doesn't want more than 16GB of RAM...
Now to update my drivers which have been wanting for some time on several of my programs. There seems to be an issue with my display drivers at present since making the change, hopefully that will get solved too.
Thanks again for all your help.
George
Motherboards have a limit as to how much ram they support depending on the model. Do you know the make and model of yours?
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

gcdonner wrote:
trimthicket wrote:What operating system are you using?
I am using Windows 7 Home Premium with updates shutoff, since it kept messing with my video card. I kept having to do a system restore and then the automatic update would kick in again and set my video card to a lower resolution and not see my second monitor.
I have done a couple of system restores since this problem arose to no avail. I really don't want to do another install, having done that twice in the last year to overcome other issues.
The biggest pain is that I can't update drivers for other programs either since my download speed is so slow it times out and the download fails after a couple of hours.
32 or 64 bit?

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

It could be you have bad RAM or mismatched RAM. Personally I make sure all the RAM in a system is the exact same size and make/speed.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

gcdonner wrote:Question: Can you have too much RAM?
Abraham bought his computers without any memory at all.

Isaac wondered about this and asked his father about it. Abraham replied, "My son, God will provide the RAM."
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

Haystack wrote:
gcdonner wrote:How does one retrieve a saved post?
I believe that I have my download problem solved.
Question: Can you have too much RAM?

I had 24GB of RAM in my PC, though my Speccy program only saw 20 and the computer's properties manager only saw 16GB.
I have since removed 2 4GB sticks so that I actually have only 16GB now and both programs see it the same.
Now my download speed is 18+mps whereas before it was doing well to get 2mps. The download is 8-9mps, which is near to what my server promises, of 20 down and 10 up.
Let that be a lesson to me. It seems my computer doesn't want more than 16GB of RAM...
Now to update my drivers which have been wanting for some time on several of my programs. There seems to be an issue with my display drivers at present since making the change, hopefully that will get solved too.
Thanks again for all your help.
George
Motherboards have a limit as to how much ram they support depending on the model. Do you know the make and model of yours?
My mother board is a Foxconn 2AB1 (CPU 1)
After dropping to the 16GB I have developed a new problem...for some reason the display adapter seizes up about every10 minutes and causes everything to seize.
I have just now added back one of the 4GB sticks, though the computer only sees 2GB in the Speccy program although the computer itself is still only seeing the 16GB. I will see what happens with my monitors now. I have made sure that all the drivers are up to date as well.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Any preferences on a new computer? I want a minimum of 16GB of RAM, but have seen some online with 32GB and would love to jump up there. I do lots of video editing and that would certainly help with the rendering process.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

ohio jones wrote:
gcdonner wrote:Question: Can you have too much RAM?
Abraham bought his computers without any memory at all.

Isaac wondered about this and asked his father about it. Abraham replied, "My son, God will provide the RAM."
You are 2 much OJ.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:
gcdonner wrote:
trimthicket wrote:What operating system are you using?
I am using Windows 7 Home Premium with updates shutoff, since it kept messing with my video card. I kept having to do a system restore and then the automatic update would kick in again and set my video card to a lower resolution and not see my second monitor.
I have done a couple of system restores since this problem arose to no avail. I really don't want to do another install, having done that twice in the last year to overcome other issues.
The biggest pain is that I can't update drivers for other programs either since my download speed is so slow it times out and the download fails after a couple of hours.
32 or 64 bit?

J.M.
I am running Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit. I really don't want to go to 10 as I am concerned about losing some of my programs with that upgrade and haven't heard a lot of good stuff. I lost a fair amount of programs when I did the upgrade from XP several years ago now. The church laptop is Win 7 as well and I just installed Microsoft Office 10 so both computers would be compatible in the use of Powerpoint. I tried Open Office, but it didn't like to use PP displays.
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Josh wrote:It could be you have bad RAM or mismatched RAM. Personally I make sure all the RAM in a system is the exact same size and make/speed.
I had a pair of 8GB sticks and a pair of 4GB sticks. At the moment I have the 8GB and one of the 4GB and it seems to be working the best it has in quite some time. We shall see. Even the display glitch seems to have "fixed" itself.
I am considering a new computer. Any suggestions? I want more RAM and the ability to do extensive video editing. I run the Sony Vegas Movie Studio for my editing and rendering at present.
0 x
Haystack
Affiliation: Christian

Post by Haystack »

gcdonner wrote:My mother board is a Foxconn 2AB1 (CPU 1)
After dropping to the 16GB I have developed a new problem...for some reason the display adapter seizes up about every10 minutes and causes everything to seize.
I have just now added back one of the 4GB sticks, though the computer only sees 2GB in the Speccy program although the computer itself is still only seeing the 16GB. I will see what happens with my monitors now. I have made sure that all the drivers are up to date as well.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Any preferences on a new computer? I want a minimum of 16GB of RAM, but have seen some online with 32GB and would love to jump up there. I do lots of video editing and that would certainly help with the rendering process.
It looks like that motherboard supports up to 32GB of DDR3 ram. Like Josh said, try to use like ram as far as brand, size, and speeds.

If you're interested in a new computer, have you ever thought about building your own? It sounds like you have some knowledge of computers and would be capable of building one. There's plenty of us on the forum that can help you along the way if you were to run into any problems.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Personally these days I'd just buy a Mac. My day to day Mac is a 16GB machine.
0 x