download speeds

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Re: download speeds

Post by gcdonner »

ken_sylvania wrote: I surely don't blame you if you stick with Win7 as long as possible. I find Win10 annoying....
The little experience that I have had with it, it doesn't impress me, nor the newer versions of Microsoft Office, which seem to be stripped of many of the effects possible with my 2010 version. I had upgraded to the newest and ended up deleting it.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Windows 10 doesn't need more RAM than Windows 7 and in my experience runs well in significantly less, like a 1GB machine for example.
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Josh wrote:Windows 10 doesn't need more RAM than Windows 7 and in my experience runs well in significantly less, like a 1GB machine for example.
Will my Win7 programs work in Win10? I do LOTS of video editing and would like to keep my present Sony Vegas program, as well as speed up my rendering time. (I have a video rendering as I type this...)
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

gcdonner wrote: Will my Win7 programs work in Win10? I do LOTS of video editing and would like to keep my present Sony Vegas program, as well as speed up my rendering time. (I have a video rendering as I type this...)
Go to the program website and see what it says. They would have the info on if that version will run on Win10, or if you would need an upgrade.

The big issue is if you were running a 32 bit version of Win7. Win10 is 64 bit. Actually much better at video rendering and such, but often requires some new programs. Win10 can still run 32 bit software and does it well, though. So mostly the manufacturer can guide you in upgrade needs. Overall, you will find some that will run fine and some that will require a new version.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Josh

Post by Josh »

You can run Windows 10 32 bit but I'm not sure why you would, other than very obscure drivers that don't have 64 bit versions. And if you do that you can't use over 4GB of RAM.
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Robert wrote:
gcdonner wrote: Will my Win7 programs work in Win10? I do LOTS of video editing and would like to keep my present Sony Vegas program, as well as speed up my rendering time. (I have a video rendering as I type this...)
Go to the program website and see what it says. They would have the info on if that version will run on Win10, or if you would need an upgrade.

The big issue is if you were running a 32 bit version of Win7. Win10 is 64 bit. Actually much better at video rendering and such, but often requires some new programs. Win10 can still run 32 bit software and does it well, though. So mostly the manufacturer can guide you in upgrade needs. Overall, you will find some that will run fine and some that will require a new version.
I am running 64 bit Win7. I will be looking at upgrading my RAM again, since with what is installed right now, I am using about 50-60% of my RAM most of the time as before I was usually using only 13-17% of the RAM.
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Should I be looking for buffered or unbuffered RAM?
Low or high density?
Most offerings I am finding are 3 8GB sticks for a total of 24 GB, which would suit me fine if they are seen. I am guessing that a couple of my present chips have died. Even with the 2 4GB sticks the computer only is seeing 4 GB. I am going to try using the 8GB again and narrow down which one is junk.
I suppose it is possible that one of my slots is malfunctioning???
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

gcdonner wrote:Should I be looking for buffered or unbuffered RAM?
Low or high density?
Most offerings I am finding are 3 8GB sticks for a total of 24 GB, which would suit me fine if they are seen. I am guessing that a couple of my present chips have died. Even with the 2 4GB sticks the computer only is seeing 4 GB. I am going to try using the 8GB again and narrow down which one is junk.
You really need to look up the specs for the motherboard you have. I suspect you will need matched pairs. This is not always the case, but may be what is causing some of your problems. There is also some memory test software out there you could run to test what your system is seeing.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Robert wrote:
gcdonner wrote:Should I be looking for buffered or unbuffered RAM?
Low or high density?
You really need to look up the specs for the motherboard you have. I suspect you will need matched pairs. This is not always the case, but may be what is causing some of your problems. There is also some memory test software out there you could run to test what your system is seeing.
I am running the Speccy program which defines all the parts of the computer, including the RAM and the motherboard. I am planning on buying a full set of RAM, which would be 3 pieces this time around since the cost is pretty high for new stuff. $125 for 3 sticks.

Here are all the specs for my system:
Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

CPU
AMD Phenom II X4 940T 18 °C Thuban 45nm Technology

RAM
4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24) (there are actually 2 4GB chips in there, but the pc is only seeing one of them)

Motherboard
FOXCONN 2AB1 (CPU 1) 35 °C

Graphics
HP 2011 (1600x900@60Hz)
AL2016W (1680x1050@59Hz)
1919MB ATI Radeon HD 4200 (HP)

Storage
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10 01FAES-60Z2A0 SATA Disk Device (SATA) 34 °C
931GB Seagate ST310005 28AS SATA Disk Device (SATA) 30 °C

Optical Drives
hp DVD RW AD-7251H5 SATA CdRom Device

Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

I would advise spending the money on a new motherboard instead. Oftentimes buying obsolete RAM costs more than just replacing the motherboard.
0 x