download speeds

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Re: download speeds

Post by gcdonner »

Haystack wrote:
gcdonner wrote:My mother board is a Foxconn 2AB1 (CPU 1)
After dropping to the 16GB I have developed a new problem...for some reason the display adapter seizes up about every10 minutes and causes everything to seize.
I have just now added back one of the 4GB sticks, though the computer only sees 2GB in the Speccy program although the computer itself is still only seeing the 16GB. I will see what happens with my monitors now. I have made sure that all the drivers are up to date as well.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Any preferences on a new computer? I want a minimum of 16GB of RAM, but have seen some online with 32GB and would love to jump up there. I do lots of video editing and that would certainly help with the rendering process.
It looks like that motherboard supports up to 32GB of DDR3 ram. Like Josh said, try to use like ram as far as brand, size, and speeds.

If you're interested in a new computer, have you ever thought about building your own? It sounds like you have some knowledge of computers and would be capable of building one. There's plenty of us on the forum that can help you along the way if you were to run into any problems.
I actually have built my own computer a couple of times in the past, but at the moment my time is at a premium, though I could do it as time permits.
I just eliminated the 16GB sticks and dropped back down to the two 4GB sticks, but the computer only is seeing 4GB, not the 8 installed, though at present it is running quicker than it has for some time and my download/upload speeds are the same as with the 16GB. I am going to try running my video program next to see how it does.
Just a little history on this computer. I got it out of the dump...pc, flat screen monitor, keyboard & mouse. It originally had 6GB of RAM and I have upgraded it twice, in pairs.
I may try buying 4 sticks of 8, the same brand and see if that works, otherwise it will be a new computer in the works, one way or the other.
What would you think about this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-x4-4-0Ghz-Q ... SwMNxXayjt
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Josh wrote:Personally these days I'd just buy a Mac. My day to day Mac is a 16GB machine.
I would lose most of my programs that way...I have never owned a Mac.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Haystack wrote:
After dropping to the 16GB I have developed a new problem...for some reason the display adapter seizes up about every10 minutes and causes everything to seize.
I have just now added back one of the 4GB sticks, though the computer only sees 2GB in the Speccy program although the computer itself is still only seeing the 16GB. I will see what happens with my monitors now. I have made sure that all the drivers are up to date as well.
Any preferences on a new computer? I want a minimum of 16GB of RAM, but have seen some online with 32GB and would love to jump up there. I do lots of video editing and that would certainly help with the rendering process.
It looks like that motherboard supports up to 32GB of DDR3 ram. Like Josh said, try to use like ram as far as brand, size, and speeds.

If you're interested in a new computer, have you ever thought about building your own? It sounds like you have some knowledge of computers and would be capable of building one. There's plenty of us on the forum that can help you along the way if you were to run into any problems.
Or simply dropping a new MOBO in that case. Most of them fall into a few standard categories. If you ask me, flakey MOBO, flakey RAM, and RAM sockets that make intermittent contact are my guesses. If I were buying, I would make sure it is at least a Taiwaneese board, some of the mainland stuff is atrocious.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

gcdonner wrote:
Haystack wrote:

I actually have built my own computer a couple of times in the past, but at the moment my time is at a premium, though I could do it as time permits.
I just eliminated the 16GB sticks and dropped back down to the two 4GB sticks, but the computer only is seeing 4GB, not the 8 installed, though at present it is running quicker than it has for some time and my download/upload speeds are the same as with the 16GB. I am going to try running my video program next to see how it does.
Just a little history on this computer. I got it out of the dump...pc, flat screen monitor, keyboard & mouse. It originally had 6GB of RAM and I have upgraded it twice, in pairs.
I may try buying 4 sticks of 8, the same brand and see if that works, otherwise it will be a new computer in the works, one way or the other.
I guess you now know why it was in the dump :D

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:
gcdonner wrote:
Haystack wrote:

I guess you now know why it was in the dump :D

J.M.
Not really. I have been using it for 4 years and it helped me to upgrade to 2 LED monitors (I already had one) since this computer was already configured to use two. My problems began with some Win7 updates (I have turned off auto updates) that messed with my monitors and other configurations. I had to do a system restore several times, until I figured out the issue and had to stop the updates.
Did you see the link to the eBay beauty?
BTW, no more monitor glitches since going back to the 4/8GB RAM. Could be sticks going bad...
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

If I was buying or building a new computer these days I would be sure to spend the money for a minimum 512GB SSD for the OS hard drive. If doing a lot of video editing probably would go for either an SSD or at least a hybrid drive for the storage hard drive as well.
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

ken_sylvania wrote:If I was buying or building a new computer these days I would be sure to spend the money for a minimum 512GB SSD for the OS hard drive. If doing a lot of video editing probably would go for either an SSD or at least a hybrid drive for the storage hard drive as well.
Can a computer be upgraded to an SSD drive for the OS and maintain the standard HDD for storage? I have 2-1 TB HDDs in my computer now, one of them being a slave and the other the original OS drive which is partitioned. I have nearly filled my slave drive and have been deleting videos that I won't need to access again (YouTube videos) because I can always resource them directly online if needed.
I guess I am going to first try doing new RAM for this computer before jumping into another one at this point and if that is not satisfactory then I will consider a new one later on down the road.
Everything seems to be working fine at the moment.
Thanks again for all the suggestions.
0 x
Haystack
Affiliation: Christian

Post by Haystack »

gcdonner wrote:
ken_sylvania wrote:If I was buying or building a new computer these days I would be sure to spend the money for a minimum 512GB SSD for the OS hard drive. If doing a lot of video editing probably would go for either an SSD or at least a hybrid drive for the storage hard drive as well.
Can a computer be upgraded to an SSD drive for the OS and maintain the standard HDD for storage? I have 2-1 TB HDDs in my computer now, one of them being a slave and the other the original OS drive which is partitioned. I have nearly filled my slave drive and have been deleting videos that I won't need to access again (YouTube videos) because I can always resource them directly online if needed.
I guess I am going to first try doing new RAM for this computer before jumping into another one at this point and if that is not satisfactory then I will consider a new one later on down the road.
Everything seems to be working fine at the moment.
Thanks again for all the suggestions.
Yes you can use a SSD for the OS and select programs you use the most along with the HDD for storage.
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Haystack wrote: Yes you can use a SSD for the OS and select programs you use the most along with the HDD for storage.
Is it backward applicable for a pc like mine and do they hook up differently than an HDD?
0 x
Haystack
Affiliation: Christian

Post by Haystack »

gcdonner wrote:
Haystack wrote: Yes you can use a SSD for the OS and select programs you use the most along with the HDD for storage.
Is it backward applicable for a pc like mine and do they hook up differently than an HDD?
They hook up the same as a HDD. You would see a difference, but I don't think your current setup will see the full potential of the SSD speeds depending on your sata ports. I'll look into it for you.
0 x