download speeds

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Re: download speeds

Post by ken_sylvania »

Josh wrote:I would advise spending the money on a new motherboard instead. Oftentimes buying obsolete RAM costs more than just replacing the motherboard.
I agree.
0 x
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

Josh wrote:I would advise spending the money on a new motherboard instead. Oftentimes buying obsolete RAM costs more than just replacing the motherboard.
Well, I may end up just going for a whole new computer. I just now discovered that the first of the 4 RAM slots is malfunctioning and that one of my 8GB chips is junk too, so no matter how I try, I can't pair what I have. At least I am now running one 8GB stick and I am getting good upload and download speeds again and my RAM usage is down to 29%.

We are planning on a trip to the East coast in a couple of weeks so computers will wait until we return.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

ken_sylvania wrote:
I agree.
Is it worth upgrading the motherboard without changing some other things in the process, like power supplies, the cpu itself, etc?
This is an HP box so I expect I could change just the board, get some new RAM and see how it goes from there or just buy one already put together, with Win7 Pro already installed and then just transfer my files from this computer to that, via swapping my slave into the new computer...
New sounds good right now:
AMD x4 4.0Ghz Quad Core 32GB RAM 1TB HDD DVDRW HDMI WIFI Win 7 Pro PC Computer
We shall see later in July???
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
Haystack
Affiliation: Christian

Post by Haystack »

You would have to get at least a new cpu and ram if you upgrade to a new motherboard. I'm not sure where you're located, but if you have a Micro Center near you they have some good in store only deals on pc parts and and complete computers.
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Haystack wrote:You would have to get at least a new cpu and ram if you upgrade to a new motherboard. I'm not sure where you're located, but if you have a Micro Center near you they have some good in store only deals on pc parts and and complete computers.
I live in Dodge Center, MN, which is the center of the universe as close as I can tell... I will have to look into Micro Center to see if there are any nearby, probably in the BIG cities of Minneapolis-St Paul is my guess, if we even have them out here.
My computer has crashed 3 times since my last posting, so I am back to the basic 4GB of RAM.
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

gcdonner wrote:
Haystack wrote:You would have to get at least a new cpu and ram if you upgrade to a new motherboard. I'm not sure where you're located, but if you have a Micro Center near you they have some good in store only deals on pc parts and and complete computers.
I live in Dodge Center, MN, which is the center of the universe as close as I can tell... I will have to look into Micro Center to see if there are any nearby, probably in the BIG cities of Minneapolis-St Paul is my guess, if we even have them out here.
My computer has crashed 3 times since my last posting, so I am back to the basic 4GB of RAM.
Just as I suspected the only one in Minnesota is in the twin cities area, about 90 miles from here. I will check with some local shops.
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Well, I'm back at it again and with similar issues, but different. Here is the scenario:
A BRAND NEW computer,
3.8, quad core cpu
680w power supply
32GB ram
Motherboard is ASUS M5A78L-M PLUS/USB3 (AM3R2) with AMD chipset
came with a 2TB hard drive
I have added in my previous two HDD, which are heavily laden with videos at 1TB each, plus and external HDD that is currently freshly formatted and empty @ 219 GB of space (from a dead laptop)
I also upgraded to an INVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 video card (running two monitors, an HP 2011 and an ACER AL2016W
I am running Win7 Home Premium, though the machine came through with Win7 Pro, but the OS wasn't registered...though the seller sent me the code later after I had re-installed Home Premium. The Pro seemed glitchy anyway.
I have been having trouble with streaming videos online (youtube) and also running programs seem slow off line. Download speeds are limited and has been narrowed down with the help of my service provider to either the ethernet cables or my ethernet card in the computer.
I have new cables coming on Monday and hope this post will be a moot subject.
BUT, the wireless function stopped within two days of getting the computer up and running, so I am running wired. The modem and router are fine as I can run a laptop with great download speeds, and streaming with no issues on wireless.

When rendering videos my cpu runs at 90-100%, which the vender told me is normal for Sony Vegas.
When I first got it running I could stream video and render at the same time with no issues...

Any ideas? I'm not thinking that some of my RAM has gone bad already?
Should I remove my slave HDDs? I could set them up as plug ins as external drives to use when I need them (which is quite often actually)
Any ideas?
0 x