download speeds

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

download speeds

Post by gcdonner »

I am having a problem with my pc with nearly non-existent download speed, like only 1-2mps, though my upload speed is 10mps. Other laptops on the network are fine with 20mps download and 10mps upload. They run through wireless which is also available to my pc.
The onboard Ethernet card has never worked since I picked this computer from the dump, but it has always functioned fine with the wireless until about a month ago now. I have gone through and made sure that all drivers are up to date for the internet connections. I recently purchased a USB to Ethernet adapter in an effort to bypass the normal Ethernet card as there is no dedicated slot for a stand alone card. I replaced the router to no avail.
Any ideas from the geeks out there?
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: download speeds

Post by Josh »

Abominably slow Ethernet speeds sound like a duplex mismatch. Try forcing the port to half duplex 10Mbit speed and then manually set your PC to that too. Once that is working, change them both to 100.
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Josh wrote:Abominably slow Ethernet speeds sound like a duplex mismatch. Try forcing the port to half duplex 10Mbit speed and then manually set your PC to that too. Once that is working, change them both to 100.
Can you interpret that for a non tech homie?
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
Josh

Post by Josh »

gcdonner wrote:
Josh wrote:Abominably slow Ethernet speeds sound like a duplex mismatch. Try forcing the port to half duplex 10Mbit speed and then manually set your PC to that too. Once that is working, change them both to 100.
It'll be somewhere in the settings for your network card.
0 x
trimthicket
Affiliation:

Post by trimthicket »

What operating system are you using?
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Josh wrote:
gcdonner wrote:
It'll be somewhere in the settings for your network card.
I did it Josh and it didn't help any at all. I have reloaded all my Ethernet drivers too. I am guessing it is mechanical/electrical since even the usb-Ethernet adapter didn't make any difference at all.
Sometimes it seems to jump right off when I do a speed test and then gradually slows down to 1mps or less. The usb-Ethernet adapter was suggested by a local computer repair shop.
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

trimthicket wrote:What operating system are you using?
I am using Windows 7 Home Premium with updates shutoff, since it kept messing with my video card. I kept having to do a system restore and then the automatic update would kick in again and set my video card to a lower resolution and not see my second monitor.
I have done a couple of system restores since this problem arose to no avail. I really don't want to do another install, having done that twice in the last year to overcome other issues.
The biggest pain is that I can't update drivers for other programs either since my download speed is so slow it times out and the download fails after a couple of hours.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

At this point I would advise reinstalling or a different computer.
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Josh wrote:At this point I would advise reinstalling or a different computer.
I am considering both. Thanks for all the suggestions.
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

How does one retrieve a saved post?
I believe that I have my download problem solved.
Question: Can you have too much RAM?
Answer: it would appear so.

I had 24GB of RAM in my PC, though my Speccy program only saw 20 and the computer's properties manager only saw 16GB.
I have since removed 2 4GB sticks so that I actually have only 16GB now and both programs see it the same.
Now my download speed is 18+mps whereas before it was doing well to get 2mps. The download is 8-9mps, which is near to what my server promises, of 20 down and 10 up.
Let that be a lesson to me. It seems my computer doesn't want more than 16GB of RAM...
Now to update my drivers which have been wanting for some time on several of my programs. There seems to be an issue with my display drivers at present since making the change, hopefully that will get solved too.
Thanks again for all your help.
George
0 x