Document writer for ipad?

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Document writer for ipad?

Post by Neto »

Someone contacted my business regarding a word processing program for an ipad. They didn't have the device handy when they called, so couldn't tell me the model number, the version of iOS, etc.
They want to be able to create short documents and print them (for transfer to candles).

I did a bit of looking and see that OpenOffice has AO Office, and LibreOffice has Collabora office. Are there better ones out there that I should suggest to them? They are thinking of text only at this point, but there is the possibility of moving on to small images as well. Even with text only, they would want font choices, like a fancy script.

I told him that this is not at all my area of experience, but thought I'd try to help anyway.
(I've never had any type of Apple device, nor have I ever worked on one, except for one time when I attempted - unsuccessfully - to use a Mac in a local library to do a download for someone.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Re: Document writer for ipad?

Post by Szdfan »

I use Google Docs on my iPhone.

Also, Pages is Apple’s native word processor. It should come installed from the factory.

For something that is more graphics based, they may want to check out Canva, which is a bit like Illustrator lite
1 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

The Microsoft office apps for ipad work fine as well, with the benefit over Google Docs that they work better offline.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Neto

Post by Neto »

I did neglect to say that this is an Amish-owned business, one that will still need to avoid the use of internet service. So off-line is going to be a requirement for them.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

I have about 8 Google Slides presentations scheduled for this year in various places that may or may not have data service, so I experimented with exporting them as Powerpoint files and playing them with the Powerpoint app on my iPad. It worked fine offline, even though it occasionally prompts you for a connection, so I know that the MS office apps work offline. The issue with Google office apps is that they are almost useless if you don't have a data connection.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

I have and use an iPad and I taught with them back in Texas when they were issued to all students at the school I was working at.

It sounds like the requirement isn't for a sophisticated full-featured word processing app of the sort one would use to lay out books and large documents with hundreds of pages, figures, tables, etc. They just want to create a couple of paragraphs of text and then adjust font and paragraph layout to print on candles?

Honestly the native Apple Pages word processing app that was designed by Apple for iOS is more than adequate to that task. And is probably the best app to use for that purpose because it will have the easiest file management system as all the docs will just be saved to the Pages app. If you use a 3rd party app like Microsoft Word it can be easier to lose your documents on the iPad since it doesn't have a completely transparent file management system like Windows. The folder structure is more hidden. Apple Pages will let you save and export to just about any other file format. And will be the easiest to use for printing directly from the iPad to a Bluetooth printer.

There are a bunch of other free word processing aps like MS Word that will work fine. But your file management might be a little bit messier than for a native app like Pages. Stuff made by other companies just never seems to work quite as well on the iPad when it comes to file management, especially if you are making a lot of files.

Avoid anything Google if the iPad isn't going to be online as that will be an exercise in frustration. You can do Google Docs offline, but it isn't made for that and will be frustrating. I would stick with the free Apple Pages app for offline use.

Also, the more important tool for text entry and editing on an iPad is getting an external keyboard. You can pretty much use any Bluetooth keyboard, but I would recommend getting a keyboard and case combo that will essentially convert it into a laptop. The apple versions are way overpriced and less convenient. I have the fancy expensive apple keyboard and rarely use it. Instead I find the Logitech keyboard superior.

The one I have is the Slim Folio and it is perfect for my use which is basically to protect the iPad and provide a keyboard when I need it but still leave the iPad easily usable in tablet mode when I'm not using a keyboard. https://www.logitech.com/en-us/products ... -case.html

There are other cheaper and more expensive options. But if you are going to need a stand or case to hold the iPad and also a keyboard, you might as well get a combination.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Szdfan

Post by Szdfan »

Neto wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:25 pm I did neglect to say that this is an Amish-owned business, one that will still need to avoid the use of internet service. So off-line is going to be a requirement for them.
How are they connecting the iPad to the printer? Bluetooth? A wired connection?
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Neto

Post by Neto »

Szdfan wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:30 pm
Neto wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:25 pm I did neglect to say that this is an Amish-owned business, one that will still need to avoid the use of internet service. So off-line is going to be a requirement for them.
Some kind of wireless. (I haven't seen their set up, and they haven't given me model info on any of it, either. (It's the business owner's brother who has been calling, for his sister.) They said they'd come by early next month. I actually encouraged them to consult someone else, because I know nothing about any Apple products. So trying to get some basic knowledge, to be more prepared.)
0 x
Szdfan

Post by Szdfan »

Neto wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:15 pm
Some kind of wireless. (I haven't seen their set up, and they haven't given me model info on any of it, either. (It's the business owner's brother who has been calling, for his sister.) They said they'd come by early next month. I actually encouraged them to consult someone else, because I know nothing about any Apple products. So trying to get some basic knowledge, to be more prepared.)
Hmm…maybe it’s some sort of internal network that doesn’t connect with the outside.
0 x
Neto

Post by Neto »

Szdfan wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:20 pm
Neto wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:15 pm
Hmm…maybe it’s some sort of internal network that doesn’t connect with the outside.
My understanding (or guess) of it so far is that the iPad and the printer both have some sort of wireless capabilities, and they connect on the basis of what in a wired Windows environment would be like using a network cable to connect a printer and a computer directly, w/o any network switch or router.
1 x